On 03/06/2021 at 13:48, Richey Edwards said:

As far as I remember - sometime in 2006, a deal was struck with the housing company Barratt. They would buy the land Somerset Park was built on in order to develop housing. Lachlan acquired some land in the Heathfield area of Ayr that was to be used for building a new stadium.

The new stadium was initially to consist of a single stand, with a further stand and terracing to be added at later times.

However, the deal fell through in 2008 as Barratt pulled out, due to planning issues and the credit crunch.

I think it was originally planned that we would see out our centenary season (2009/10) at Somerset Park before moving into a new stadium, but obviously that never happened.

Thank Christ it never happened.

Some one or two sided nondescript ground that could belong to anyone, as opposed to Somerset?

No contest.

35 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Thank Christ it never happened.

Some one or two sided nondescript ground that could belong to anyone, as opposed to Somerset?

No contest.

I'm absolutely delighted the new stadium never happened. 

Somerset Park, when it's absolutely rocking is one of the best stadiums to be in.

I know it needs some work done on it, but I'd much rather we always stayed at Somerset Park and just made inprovements to it.

56 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I'm absolutely delighted the new stadium never happened. 

Somerset Park, when it's absolutely rocking is one of the best stadiums to be in.

I know it needs some work done on it, but I'd much rather we always stayed at Somerset Park and just made inprovements to it.

The only good thing that Covid could do is to improve hygiene in the toilets.

6 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

The only good thing that Covid could do is to improve hygiene in the toilets.

Sorted during covid lockdown , brand new toilet facilities in both ends , even now has hot water hand washing facilities 

Edited by Finlay21

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

Sorted during covid lockdown , brand new toilet facilities in both ends , even now has hot water hand washing facilities 

f**k me! it took a pandemic.

I'm surprised we never saw an advert on the telly by some C list actor with sad eyes asking for £3 a month, promising a cuddly toy and a quarterly newsletter to sort the fucking thing out.

12 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

f**k me! it took a pandemic.

I'm surprised we never saw an advert on the telly by some C list actor with sad eyes asking for £3 a month, promising a cuddly toy and a quarterly newsletter to sort the fucking thing out.

Did you ever experience the bogs under the main stand at a pre-improved Starks, Zen?

Dark, dank and scary...

And if you tell the young folk that these days they won't believe you!

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Did you ever experience the bogs under the main stand at a pre-improved Starks, Zen?

Dark, dank and scary...

Wading through pish is an apt description you'll find.

On 03/06/2021 at 14:14, Hank Scorpio said:

Stephen Simmons. Multiple instances of players that played with him at us saying he was the best they’ve ever played with. Got slaughtered by our fans at times. He was quality.

He was a talented enough footballer but a lazy, disinterested shitebag for the most part. 

21 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Think this is overstated aswell tbh. 

Dark, dank and scary...

It’s where they filmed the toilet scene in Trainspotting

For the Pars I think Gary Mason never really got the credit he deserved from outside the club. He was outstanding in the middle of the park for years and you really noticed the difference he made when someone else had to fill in for him.

100% this. Mason was a fantastic midfielder. McIntyre bringing him back in January 2010 was a stroke of genius and proved to be what had been missing. Before Steven Bell’s injury, the 2 of them had a great partnership as well. From that McIntyre era, I’d also throw in Alex Burke, who was often underrated/under-appreciated.

Sean Welsh at Firhill was always the scapegoat but anyone who knows anything football realised what he meant for the team. He shouldn't have been released when we were relegated from the Premier League. 

Somerset Park is a lovely ground on a sunny day but I wouldn’t describe it as producing a great atmosphere. Maybe for the Killie games if both sets of fans are allowed.
Somerset is a fucking toilet!

A toilet with gold taps and a free standing bath. It's a great ground to watch football even if the view is restricted and its not the happiest of hunting grounds for us. Having said that we have rarely been in the same league in my 40 odd years following Killie, shame really. Oh what I'd do to be able to watch again from the old terracing at Rugby Park.

Oh and for unsung hero see Mark Reilly.