Which players at your club performed brilliantly but didn’t get the recognition they deserved at the time? Was there an individual who your fans appreciated but opposition clubs wouldn’t look twice at? Is there someone who’s worked at your club behind the scenes and done a fantastic job?

For the Pars I think Gary Mason never really got the credit he deserved from outside the club. He was outstanding in the middle of the park for years and you really noticed the difference he made when someone else had to fill in for him. Crawford, Brewster and Nicholson got the plaudits but he was such an important part of the team that finished 4th in the SPL and reached SC Final.

Off the pitch, I think Marv Stewart was the answer but she did so much for the club it ended up her getting recognised on the Queen’s Honours List! Instead I’ll go for Jordan Burt, who does a lot of media stuff with the Pars and has worked really hard to get his opportunities. Good on him.

Grant Anderson.  Has been unremarkable at other clubs, even at the Rovers at times, but always worked 100% and absolutely loved playing for the club - and was a better player than given credit for.

When he signed again, despite not being a marquee player it was such a tonic after a couple of years of talented, but lazy, shitehawks. 

The season the league got stopped, I really really really wanted him to go on and play a big part in us winning the title.

Edited by CALDERON

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

For the Pars I think Gary Mason never really got the credit he deserved from outside the club. He was outstanding in the middle of the park for years and you really noticed the difference he made when someone else had to fill in for him. Crawford, Brewster and Nicholson got the plaudits but he was such an important part of the team that finished 4th in the SPL and reached SC Final.

I actually thought he was really good. What happened to him? 

38 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I actually thought he was really good. What happened to him? 

He retired after his second spell with us and last I heard he was driving a taxi?Maybe a driving instructor.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

Chris Aitken - he had the misfortune of playing with us at the same time as both Ryan Stevenson and Dean Keenan. 

He appeared to thrive at teams whenever he was the main man. Unfortunately at Ayr, he never was.

At the time, Stevenson was the first name on the teamsheet while Keenan was playing the hard b*****d defensive midfield role. 

Brian Reid attempted to shoehorn both Aitken and Stevenson into the midfield, and it didn't really work as both were attack minded midfielders. Fans began to turn on Aitken pretty quickly as he didn't fly into tackles like Keenan did, and appeared to struggle playing alongside Stevenson. He got tagged with the reputation of being a shitebag because he wasn't the kind of player for the defensive midfield role.

However, Stevenson was suspended/injured (I can't remember which) for the play-off semi-final against Brechin City. Aitken played in his place, and proceeded to put in two absolutely brilliant individual performances - scoring an absolute worldie in each leg and providing assists as well.

Stevenson would be sold to Hearts halfway through next season. It's a source of regret that we had already released Aitken a couple of months earlier - as he could have stepped into the role that Stevo had vacated in our midfield and become a big creative influence.

Off the park - Donald and Lachlan Cameron. I know they had their critics, but without them there would be no Ayr United.

Donald took over the club when it was hours from closure, and set about stabilising the club. Unfortunately the team suffered on the park because of this, and it wasn't a very fun time to be an Ayr United fan.

Lachlan took over from his father in 2008, and eventually turned us from a mediocre League One club, into a yoyo club, and then an established Championship club.

Their contribution was never glamorous. They didn't take us to the Premiership, or splash a lot of money on players, or build us a new stadium. However, they played a key role in the history of Ayr United and should be given more respect than they do. Lachlan especially put a lot of his own money into the club, despite knowing that he will never see that money again.

Grant Anderson.  Has been unremarkable at other clubs, even at the Rovers at times, but always worked 100% and absolutely loved playing for the club - and was a better player than given credit for.
When he signed again, despite not being a marquee player it was such a tonic after a couple of years of talented, but lazy, shitehawks. 
The season the league got stopped, I really really really wanted him to go on and play a big part in us winning the title.
If we'd kept him the season after we'd have been fine. Chipped in a few goals and assists each season and was committed compared to the shitebags like Johnstone and Roberts.

26 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Lachlan took over from his father in 2008, and eventually turned us from a mediocre League One club, into a yoyo club, and then an established Championship club.

Their contribution was never glamorous. They didn't take us to the Premiership, or splash a lot of money on players, or build us a new stadium. However, they played a key role in the history of Ayr United and should be given more respect than they do. Lachlan especially put a lot of his own money into the club, despite knowing that he will never see that money again.

What happened with the stadium? I'm 99% sure I remember being at a start of season game between us when the chat on the tannoy was about the last season at Somerset?

Robert Sloan. Boo boys absolutely hated him because he was a wee bit heavy and didn't "rin aboot" but his technical ability was a class above. 

I remember an argument either on here or that awful Rovers forum where someone was arguing that his phenomenal assist record was overplayed because "most of them were from freekick and corners". Mind-boggling. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

What happened with the stadium? I'm 99% sure I remember being at a start of season game between us when the chat on the tannoy was about the last season at Somerset?

As far as I remember - sometime in 2006, a deal was struck with the housing company Barratt. They would buy the land Somerset Park was built on in order to develop housing. Lachlan acquired some land in the Heathfield area of Ayr that was to be used for building a new stadium.

The new stadium was initially to consist of a single stand, with a further stand and terracing to be added at later times.

However, the deal fell through in 2008 as Barratt pulled out, due to planning issues and the credit crunch.

I think it was originally planned that we would see out our centenary season (2009/10) at Somerset Park before moving into a new stadium, but obviously that never happened.

5 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Jamie Adams at Ayr, it's no coincidence we have went downhill since he was forced to retire.

Hardly an unsung hero considering a lot of your fans constantly raved about him.  I would say fans of other clubs he played for would agree,  he was certainly well liked at QoS.  He had a good bit of talent and certainly a "winning mentality".  Injuries maybe stopped him reaching or maintaining a higher level. 

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Stephen Simmons. Multiple instances of players that played with him at us saying he was the best they’ve ever played with. Got slaughtered by our fans at times. He was quality.

He was very shite indeed. 

45 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Remember when McGlynn played him at right wing at EEP for title decider? 

A decision so mind-bending the Rovers’ fans thought the club didn’t want promotion and threw the game.

Mind when he got sent off against us at Starks?  Was like us going down to 10 men. Luckily we still managed to stick in and get the win late on, even with that early set back. Some character from the boys.  

2 hours ago, Stoo61 said:

Mind when he got sent off against us at Starks?  Was like us going down to 10 men. Luckily we still managed to stick in and get the win late on, even with that early set back. Some character from the boys.  

Sobbed like a wee kid who had dropped his ice cream cone.