vs Luxembourg

Donathan

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Fraser and Forrest?

Playing Fraser at RWB sacrifices a lot - many have him as their preferred choice to play off the main striker. Then when you look at Forrest he has played less than Patterson this season which everyone seems to be using as the main reason for not playing him.

I’m not saying he is a starter, but is Patterson one of the best players currently available in his position to Scotland? Yes, I have no doubts about that, and that surely makes him “ready” to be in the international squad, which was the point I was replying to in the first place.

31 minutes ago, AJF said:

So you’d play someone out of position that has played less than Patterson this season? Fair enough.

Forrest should not even be in the bloody squad based on how much hes played this year....there will be scottish fullbacks out there who have had the best season of their careers and never get a sniff of an international cap due to who they play for...and theres boys who do get capped due to who they play for...i thought clarke would come in and stop this pandering to the bigot brothers but unfortunately hes just slipped right into place and picking boys not on form but on clubs.

Edited by Meeniedee

Just now, AJF said:

So you’d play someone out of position that has played less than Patterson this season? Fair enough.

Forrest has played RWB in the Champions League, and multiple times already for Scotland.

We're at a major tournament, you're going to use experienced, proven, reliable, players. I understand that your life revolves around everything Rangers being the bestest thing ever, but the lack of perspective here is staggering.

Patterson will clearly be first choice RB/RWB for Scotland, unless Rangers continue to stunt his development, but just now its come too early for him. If Patterson played for anyone but Rangers I doubt you'd be arguing this at all, as proven by the fact you're arguing about the lesser of our two talented youngsters deserving a spot in the line up while seemingly accepting Gilmour being benched.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I’m not saying he is a starter, but is Patterson one of the best players currently available in his position to Scotland? Yes, I have no doubts about that, and that surely makes him “ready” to be in the international squad, which was the point I was replying to in the first place.

based on what? youve watched him on the telly for a dozen or so games and just assume hes the best right back we have....how many times have you watched the rest of scottish football.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Playing Fraser at RWB sacrifices a lot - many have him as their preferred choice to play off the main striker. Then when you look at Forrest he has played less than Patterson this season which everyone seems to be using as the main reason for not playing him.

Thanks for being civil.

We agree to disagree though.

Two Luxembourg players going past him at speed tonight shows that Patterson is not yet mature enough as a defender to be considered ahead of other options available.

Just my view.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Thanks for being civil.

We agree to disagree though.

Two Luxembourg players going past him at speed tonight shows that Patterson is not yet mature enough as a defender to be considered ahead of other options available.

Just my view.

Not just your view Barney

The view of many others including me

As has been said, he may well soon become Scotlands first choice right back but he is miles away from that right now.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Forrest has played RWB in the Champions League, and multiple times already for Scotland.

We're at a major tournament, you're going to use experienced, proven, reliable, players. I understand that your life revolves around everything Rangers being the bestest thing ever, but the lack of perspective here is staggering.

Patterson will clearly be first choice RB/RWB for Scotland, unless Rangers continue to stunt his development, but just now its come too early for him. If Patterson played for anyone but Rangers I doubt you'd be arguing this at all, as proven by the fact you're arguing about the lesser of our two talented youngsters deserving a spot in the line up while seemingly accepting Gilmour being benched.

By that logic then do you believe that Forrest should be starting ahead of O’Donnell at RWB? Clarke has clearly taken O’Donnell and Patterson as his two RWB options which I’d suggest was evidenced based on the two players that played RWB in tonight’s match.

Of course I’m going to want Patterson to be involved based on club allegiance, but I’m not the only one that shares that opinion. You can even find non-OF fans on this very thread that think the same.

Also, can you point out to me where I have “seemingly accepted Gilmour being benched”? This was my thoughts on him not even 3 hours ago: 

3 hours ago, AJF said:

Agreed, despite his appearance being brief and against a 10 man Luxembourg side, I think he showed enough to be pushing for a start.

Just now, AJF said:

By that logic then do you believe that Forrest should be starting ahead of O’Donnell at RWB? Clarke has clearly taken O’Donnell and Patterson as his two RWB options which I’d suggest was evidenced based on the two players that played RWB in tonight’s match.

Yes, if Forrest hadn't had a season of being a cripple I'd say hes our best wing back option. He gives you defensive work rate, experience, and attacking threat.

You can't start him after hes missed so much of the season, so you pick the closest match, which is the RWB whos played for Scotland for the past 12 months and never let us down.

Patterson along as hes the future + having a 3rd choice RWB option also opens up Forrest to play elsewhere if needed.

If you're using a sub made an hour into a friendly against Luxembourg as proof of anything then theres no getting through to you. He also changed formation about 3 times, so presumably thats his plan for the Euros too?

I thought we were decent tonight. Never really looked like conceding after a shaky first five minutes, totally controlled the game, and created plenty of chances. Their keeper made a couple of cracking saves and we missed a couple of sitters. 

The two performances over the last few days actually have me fairly confident we will be competitive in all 3 games. I won’t go any braver than that with my prediction though…

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, if Forrest hadn't had a season of being a cripple I'd say hes our best wing back option. He gives you defensive work rate, experience, and attacking threat.

You can't start him after hes missed so much of the season, so you pick the closest match, which is the RWB whos played for Scotland for the past 12 months and never let us down.

Patterson along as hes the future + having a 3rd choice RWB option also opens up Forrest to play elsewhere if needed.

If you're using a sub made an hour into a friendly against Luxembourg as proof of anything then theres no getting through to you. He also changed formation about 3 times, so presumably thats his plan for the Euros too?

Again, we will need to agree to disagree. If you’re saying Forrest can’t start at RWB due to his injury hit season then it doesn’t matter who is playing RWB instead. It’s surely out of O’Donnell and Patterson at that stage if you are ruling Forrest out.

Also, I have never said I think Patterson will or deserves to start ahead of O’Donnell. You’re desperate to paint this as some kind of Uber-Rangers opinion of mine despite many non-Rangers fans holding the same opinion. I’m simply stating that Patterson deserves to be in the squad.

I also like that you conveniently missed out commenting on the part about Gilmour where you completely made something up which was the opposite of what I believed 👍🏻

Edited by AJF

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I thought we were decent tonight. Never really looked like conceding after a shaky first five minutes, totally controlled the game, and created plenty of chances. Their keeper made a couple of cracking saves and we missed a couple of sitters. 

The two performances over the last few days actually have me fairly confident we will be competitive in all 3 games. I won’t go any braver than that with my prediction though…

Same here. Despite lacking any cutting edge tonight, I’m quietly content on how the team are shaping up and my excitement for the tournament beginning is starting to get the better of me. Christ knows what I’ll be like come next Monday 😂

SOD is rank...if Patterson isnt already better than him he should chuck it right now
SOD is not the white Cafu, but he is more canny at the defensive side of the game.
NPatz is certainly much more exciting to watch, with his first thoughts being all about attack and taking risks - and the risks were quite apparent after he came on (left us exposed a few times down his side).
I suspect SOD will start there, and NPatz will be the "gamble" sub if needed.

2 hours ago, Meeniedee said:

our lack of a good goalscorer will do us at the euros...the chances we missed tonight would be a minter for a sunday league striker nevermind an international one.....anyway gilmore did more tonight than macgregor has done for the last 5/6 games...needless to say macgregor will start the euros as once again our national team manager shits the bed about playing young players in big games.

Who are gilmore and macgregor?

Pedantry aside, I think McGregor has been ineffective (to put it kindly) for Scotland for a while now and agree that he shouldn't be near the starting XI for any of our games.

Anyway, some pretty mental overreactions from multiple people for what was a friendly a week before our first appearance at a major tournament for 23 years.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

I'm sure he'll be fine. Its a bump that happens all the time so theres no need to overreact like Provan saying it should have been a red, utter nonsense.

But, just to dig up on a point, under no circumstances would it be fortunate for Scotland if we sacrificed Gilmour's long term health just so he can play the next 3 games. The boy is potentially a star for the next 10-15 years, if there is any doubt whatsoever about him after that clash, he should be sent home and get looked after properly. I for one would lose a hell of a lot of respect for Clarke and co if that wasnt the case should there be uncertainty about Gilmour's head knock (not like there looked like there is tbh). 

Clarke has come out and said he's fine so that's somewhat reassuring. At the time though it did not look good, there are examples of athletes retiring after less serious looking incidents. My point was largely that football is way behind other sports in dealing with concussion, mainly because it's much less common than other sports. Well done for bringing him straight off.

Edited by afca32

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Who are gilmore and macgregor?

Pedantry aside, I think McGregor has been ineffective (to put it kindly) for Scotland for a while now and agree that he shouldn't be newt the starting XI for any of our games.

Anyway, some pretty mental overreactions from multiple people for what was a friendly a week before our first appearance at a major tournament for 23 years.

whos newt 😁