vs Luxembourg

Donathan

24 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Actually thought Dykes was better than Adams tonight but Adams is clearly a better footballer and should start ahead of him with Fraser 

Adams is just so much more comfortable on the ball, and likely to score.  He’s a better player.  It’s pretty damning if Scotland have to have a big lump up front to function. 

10 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Don't think either of them played well tonight. Even Adams goal was a bit of a scuff

I think I would go with

Dykes - Christie.

Mcginn - McTominay - Armstrong

Robertson -Tierney - Cooper - Hendry - O'Donnell

Marshall

For me. Baws oot. I prefer armstrong stylistically to Mcginn but Mcginn’s stats are inarguable

BC5D3D68-C08B-46D5-A2EA-678C91D641F7.png

35 minutes ago, the snudge said:

A couple of years ago I don't think many would've thought we'd have the luxury of saying Forrest might not get a game. Now look where we are. This is by far the strongest group we've had in 25 years. We have depth and it appears a club like set up. 

Add Gilmour into that mix and we're dangerous. We could really do something special in this tournament. 

We need a fit Ryan Jack and

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I suspect that Dykes will start, with probably Fraser in the side as well. 

I think if Fraser was going to start he would have played more in the last two games.

Christie went the full 90 against Netherlands and played well. I don't think Fraser has done enough to displace him. Because it always seemed to me that Dykes and Christie were the first choice.

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:
  1. There are no more friendlies and so the next game is proper full-time serious for the first time since I was 16.
  2. A game that should have been about proving that the chosen first team was capable of doing the business has instead shown that either Clarke still has no idea what his best lineup is or that he does and he's wrong.

Ok........hang on...Stevie is on Sportsound right now.........you can air your concerns directly......." putting you through caller".........

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:
  1. There are no more friendlies and so the next game is proper full-time serious for the first time since I was 16.
  2. A game that should have been about proving that the chosen first team was capable of doing the business has instead shown that either Clarke still has no idea what his best lineup is or that he does and he's wrong.

This is a pretty huge over reaction. 

I don't see Patterson or Gilmour starting though obviously both should be.

Dykes has a great chance as he is big and strong and can play with his back to goal and hold it up. Adams is obviously a higher quality players but Dykes is better suited if we're going to play one up top with someone off him, so I think it might well be him.

2 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Ryan Christie should not be near a start and I say that as a Celtic fan.

I like Christie and, to be honest, at this stage dont give a f**k how good, bad or indifferent his form has been this season.

It doesnt always work for him, but he gives us an additional threat i just dont think anyone other than maybe Turnbull possesses. If nothing else he works his socks off and presses extremely well high up the pitch.

Personally, I'd start Adams and Christie but I honestly wouldn't bat an eyelid if it was Dykes and Fraser. 

Makes such a difference making a choice as to what the best option is rather than a who are the least shite.

43 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Without going full Rafa Benitez, facts are weve only lost twice in 16 games now, spanning 20 months. Winning 8 and winning another 2 penalty shoot outs. 

The only two games we lost were the two games after we qualified when we just needed to win one to put us in a good position to qualify for the World Cup

Dykes was suspended for the first and the second was against the occupiers of Palestine

FTFY

10 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

Ok........hang on...Stevie is on Sportsound right now.........you can air your concerns directly......." putting you through caller".........

SSC and Willie Miller ! Yes !

I think people putting players in for positions that they didn't start in these friendlies is madness.

If Hanley was going to start in the middle of the back 3 he would have started there today instead of Gallagher.

If Armstrong was going to play off a striker he would have played there at some point.

Thought it was mad starting McGregor tonight for his 97th game of the season. Not surprising at all that the midfield huffed, puffed and misfired in the first half. The difference with Gilmour was immediately evident, with two touches maximum and him dictating the tempo.
Really don't know what Clarke is expecting from McGregor. The guy is spent. Needs a long break.

our lack of a good goalscorer will do us at the euros...the chances we missed tonight would be a minter for a sunday league striker nevermind an international one.....anyway gilmore did more tonight than macgregor has done for the last 5/6 games...needless to say macgregor will start the euros as once again our national team manager shits the bed about playing young players in big games.

1-0 is fairly uninspiring when playing against a mediocre team who had 10 men for the majority of the game. We created plenty of chances though despite rarely getting beyond second gear.

I'm now at the stage where I don't think there's much between most of the possible options in just about every position. I'd find it extremely difficult to pick our best XI and that's before even taking the opposition into account. I trust Clarke to get it right though and whoever he selects I'll be happy with.

The only thing I really took from this evening was the fact that Gilmour really does look worth the hype. I haven't seen much of him so far but in 20 minutes he did enough to convince me that he improves us immensely, regardless of the opposition. He moves the ball on so much quicker than most of our players and it's nearly always progressive. That was a nasty knock he took so I really hope he's all right. In other sports he could well be made to sit out for the next two games after a fall like that. Fortunately for Scotland, football has reacted very slowly to general concerns around concussion, which may be to the detriment of Gilmours long term health.

Dunno. The only thing that's consistent about Steve Clarke is his knack for going against expectations (using a back 3, putting McTominay there, picking the likes of considine, selecting Gilmour and Patterson, actually fecking qualifying!)