League Cup 21/22 Group A

I’m listening to the cricket instead . The match stats suggest that Stirling put up a good fight to begin with and then faded. Would that be about right?

Yes it sounds right, once Hearts got in front it was an uphill battle to get anything from this game, started the 2nd half well but never really troubled Craig Gordon in the Hearts goal. 2nd goal killed the game for us, didn’t expect much tonight and I was proved right. Onwards to Saturday when we face Peterhead hopefully we get a home win.

That was grim. Despite a first half that was arguably quite even in terms of chances created as soon as Cove were two goals up the game was over. Duku and Sutherland both passed up decent chances for us with Duku perhaps missing the best opportunity when he rounded the keeper and decided to take about 74 touches in the box before having a shot. Neil and Draper looked quite suspect at times. Unfortunately for us our entire defence looked even worse with Broadfoot and Deas really struggle to understand where one another was. Duffy looked incredibly rusty at RB and was continuously beaten by Leitch down the Cove left side whilst Harper, although reasonable enough getting forward, is a little suspect defensively for me.

Wonderful opening goal for the home side. nice little dinked ball over the top of the ICT defence and McIntosh sent a superb curled effort beyond Ridgers into the net. Barely a moment later Cove had a second. Another ball over the top found Megginson and he easily beat Ridgers for number two. With this the game was pretty much over as we struggled to get anything going in the second half. Walsh had the best chance when Duku sped past a Cove defender and cut the ball back from the bye line but Walsh saw his effort blocked and then cleared off the line. Cove's third goal looked, from the opposite end of the pitch, a little similar to the chance Walsh had missed. Bursting run into the box, ball cut back and Yule finished well to wrap things up. Although a penalty from Duku saw us get on the scoresheet it did nothing to mask a pretty desperate performance.

I don't particularly care about going out of the League Cup, we have been dreadful in it since this new format was introduced, but I am bothered about the poor performances against Stirling and Cove Rangers. The latter had nothing to play for, only had 14 fit players available and were absolute toilet for their first three games yet they cigared past us no problems. I'm also worried that there were evident problems on the pitch which Dodds did nothing to address. The players still seem to be adjusting tot his 442 / 4411 setup Dodds is trying to implement. Last night we were outnumbered in midfield and struggled in the centre of the pitch for long periods yet nothing was done to change it which was a concern. When we did look threatening it was when we had the ball on the deck and were passing it around but too often we were sending high balls up towards Duku and Sutherland who struggled to control them under pressure from Draper and Neil. It was evident this wasn't working yet it seemed to be our main way to "attack". 

We need to improve and quickly.

11 hours ago, headthebaw said:

Billy Dodds - "This group of boys are capable of beating bigger teams"

More concerning, although with hindsight not surprising, is his widely mocked comment about not having had a chance to work with the back four. 

36 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

What an effort to finish 2nd in this group, and also one short of one of the best runners up. Bodes well for the season ahead. 

Aye good luck for the season, we have been in the nearly qualified position in this cup before think we missed out with 9 points but dipped out on gd. Noticed that there was word of a cash gate today was this for home supporters? did wonder about going down but did not chance it.

What an effort to finish 2nd in this group, and also one short of one of the best runners up. Bodes well for the season ahead. 

Agree did not think for one minute when the draw was made we would end up in 2nd spot with 8 points. Thought we would be lucky not to finish last in the group. Let’s hope this good start bods well for the upcoming season. It’s about time we got out of this f**king basement league.

5-0 Hearts this evening.

Our midfield doesn’t seem to have a defensive midfielder, maybe McAlear but I’m not sure, so will get ripped apart and our defence is bad enough and Broadfoot is getting another start.

That dive by the Hearts forward was ridiculous.

I'd have though that they would have enough about them in a contest such as this to be above that.

Rightfully booked.

Edited by sophia

Just now, AyrshireTon said:

Is this on pay-through-the-nose telly?

Always love it when they try to be choosy and end up with a dead rubber.

This was chosen as a TV game before a ball was kicked and Premier Sport clearly didn’t think Cove would body us, making this a dead rubber.

What a scandalous tackle by Gardyne and that scissors movement looks horrific.

That he would choose to do that at the end of a nothing game confirms all we ever needed to know, if indeed we needed much confirmation, of his calamitous decision making 

Edited by sophia

The 2 saving graces are that we won’t play anyone half as good as Hearts in the league and that Welsh, Carson and McKay are close full fitness apparently.