League Cup 21/22 Group D

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

All the comments are in our thread. I’ve never seen a Cowdenbeath fan mention the game. Maybe they’re all on holiday.

A fair chance they'll be on something...... just maybe no' holiday.🤔🥴😏

Comments as a neutral on Saturday at Cowdenbeath v Raith Rovers.

Raith were excellent in the first half , created a good number of chances and it was all one way traffic.

Not sure what happened at half time but I'd be a bit worried if i was a Raith fan after that second half performance.

The game was very similar to what was to follow in the Euro final except somehow Cowdenbeath failed to score, one of the chances looked harder to put around the post than in.

Credit to Cowdenbeath on the experience.  E - ticket worked well, no time slots, food and drink available, masks only really needed to get in and when in queue for food and drink. 

It looked like there were more away fans than home, which after over a year with no football for most was a shame. ive been fortunate to be at a lot of games in the last year but never got to a neutral game so it was good to start with one right away. 

Summary of the game from Cowden perspective is this. Raith deserved the win. Better team of course however Cowdens shape and fitness was pretty good. Cowden are a hard team to beat but we lack pace in final 3rd to really counter attack teams like raith who have marjority of possession. If I was a raith fan I would be looking at that performance as a glorified pre season friendly however no doubt you guys will need better quality to get to where you need too in the championship.

Berra was excellent but will come up against quicker sharper players so no real kudos for being excellent against cowden.

Zanatta is a decent outlet for you but needs to do more in his one v one situations. Spencer is a great player and lewis vaughn looks sharp.

Was the cowden stream any good for anyone who watched?

4 minutes ago, NELLY said:

Summary of the game from Cowden perspective is this. Raith deserved the win. Better team of course however Cowdens shape and fitness was pretty good. Cowden are a hard team to beat but we lack pace in final 3rd to really counter attack teams like raith who have marjority of possession. If I was a raith fan I would be looking at that performance as a glorified pre season friendly however no doubt you guys will need better quality to get to where you need too in the championship.

Berra was excellent but will come up against quicker sharper players so no real kudos for being excellent against cowden.

Zanatta is a decent outlet for you but needs to do more in his one v one situations. Spencer is a great player and lewis vaughn looks sharp.

Was the cowden stream any good for anyone who watched?

Stream was very good, commentary good too. 
Don’t think I’ll be giving Alloa £15 to watch though.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Reports suggest lots of pressure, just the one result at the half, Vaughan ‘42 for 1-0. Worrisome for sure.

Rovers dominated but couldn’t take their chances until the Vaughan goal. Suspect Brechin will tire as this game progresses. Not the most dynamic of performances but no need to panic. 

4 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Rovers dominated but couldn’t take their chances until the Vaughan goal. Suspect Brechin will tire as this game progresses. Not the most dynamic of performances but no need to panic. 

Panic, no…worrisome against HL team (granted, relegated League Two team), especially when so similar to the last match versus a League Two team. If we slump into the second half, then some closer looks need to be taken.

17 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Panic, no…worrisome against HL team (granted, relegated League Two team), especially when so similar to the last match versus a League Two team. If we slump into the second half, then some closer looks need to be taken.

It’s 3-0. No need to worry or panic 

Professional performance from Rovers. Thought Zanatta looked lively although he’ll obviously face much tougher challenges. Arnott put in an impressive performance when he came on. At least we’ve given ourselves a chance of getting out of the group for once. 

Another wee bonus of a second clean sheet to top off a decent result. The Hibs testimonial match for Davo might give a better indication of our current squad's ability to cope with a higher level of opposition

9 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Professional performance from Rovers. Thought Zanatta looked lively although he’ll obviously face much tougher challenges. Arnott put in an impressive performance when he came on. At least we’ve given ourselves a chance of getting out of the group for once. 

Aye basically sums up the game. Very comfortable for Rovers. 

I thought we competed well which is basically what we are trying to achieve out of these games.  All about the guys getting to know each other. 

I thought Gary Wood was very good at centre back ..............considering he was signed as one of our main strikers he hardly put a foot wrong . A few more signings of the quality we are getting and I reckon we will have the makings of a good team for the season ahead.  Definitely need someone who can hold the ball up in the final third of the park . That seems to be our main weakness.   Otherwise I'm fairly happy with progress so far. 

Could have been 8 or 9 with a bit more care with the final ball into the box. Straightforward enough but Brechin were truly honking. Hope for their sake they're planning some major recruitment moved or they're not going to be close to getting out of the Highland League

38 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Aye basically sums up the game. Very comfortable for Rovers. 

I thought we competed well which is basically what we are trying to achieve out of these games.  All about the guys getting to know each other. 

I thought Gary Wood was very good at centre back ..............considering he was signed as one of our main strikers he hardly put a foot wrong . A few more signings of the quality we are getting and I reckon we will have the makings of a good team for the season ahead.  Definitely need someone who can hold the ball up in the final third of the park . That seems to be our main weakness.   Otherwise I'm fairly happy with progress so far. 

20 minutes ago, bagpuss said:

Could have been 8 or 9 with a bit more care with the final ball into the box. Straightforward enough but Brechin were truly honking. Hope for their sake they're planning some major recruitment moved or they're not going to be close to getting out of the Highland League

It’s a funny old game. As they say…..

I said 4-0 before we kicked off, so happy to be proved right. Took a while to get off the mark but we were never in any real danger from Brechin. They defended very well in the first half. Basically a mistake by the keeper that led to Vaughan’s finish on the volley. Second half, we turned the screw and actually dispatched our chances, great header by Spencer from a great reverse cross from Connolly. Zanatta’s goal took a huge deflection and Spencer’s second of the game was a lovely move and finish. 

Got to be happy with that overall, but really should have been 4-0 at half time if we turned some of those crosses from Tumilty into the net. 

Will be interesting to see how Brechin fair in the Highland league setup though next season. Davo for all his troubles should be a good signing. 

If that was against a championship side I'd fear we would struggle with that team as it was today. Very weak up top. The new guy from Livi is rancid and plays in the style of the players we already have. We need a robust striker and a holding midfielder ASAP.