vs Netherlands

9 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

During the game, I kept thinking of the pre Euro 96 warm up Vs Colombia where we lost 1-0 and there was lots of back-slapping pish from pundits and staff as if that was okay.
We could have won tonight, but most importantly we took the game really seriously. The mentality of this squad is one thing that we can be proud of.

It's a it of a cliché but our attitude, as a whole nation, isn't great. We're far too forgiving on ourselves for close defeats or decent draws that end up meaning we miss out on going to tournaments. Without having ludicrous expectations and constantly slaughtering the team, we should generally take an attitude of you do whatever it takes to win and anything less isn't good enough. 

If last night was a competitive game, aye, we'd all be gutted about chucking away the win but our attitude would generally have been one of acceptance and 'well a draw's a good result against the Dutch'. We need to change that.

52 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

😂

Some of you are getting a tad carried away here. 

Someone laughing at Wales for losing 3-0 to France, what would the Scotland score be against France? 

Edited by Swami
Somebody already said it.

39 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's a it of a cliché but our attitude, as a whole nation, isn't great. We're far too forgiving on ourselves for close defeats or decent draws that end up meaning we miss out on going to tournaments. Without having ludicrous expectations and constantly slaughtering the team, we should generally take an attitude of you do whatever it takes to win and anything less isn't good enough. 

If last night was a competitive game, aye, we'd all be gutted about chucking away the win but our attitude would generally have been one of acceptance and 'well a draw's a good result against the Dutch'. We need to change that.

I don't think being delusional is the asset you think it is.

If we draw against a similarly ranked Croatia team and beat the Czech Republic, we'll probably qualify from the group. These would be good results.

Just now, ArabFC said:

I don't think being delusional is the asset you think it is.

If we draw against a similarly ranked Croatia team and beat the Czech Republic, we'll probably qualify from the group. These would be good results.

If you need a draw to get out a group and you get it, that's achieving what you set out to do. I'm not actually saying that anything other than 9 points from 9 is unacceptable.

Just seen the highlights, f**k me that was a very good showing from a cobbled together side.

The best move of the whole match then involved Dykes hitting it straight at the keeper.

Tierney is imperious can you give a centre half a free role to do what he wants?

It was never a free kick.

We lost the man for the first goal.

Turnball slotted right into the team.

But most of all we passed about really well high up the park and I don't think the Dutch expected anything like that from us. 

I would use the Luxembourg game to get players who need it fitness.

I was out last night and didn't catch the game but from watching the highlights on Sportscene I thought it was clear to see that shy of coming up against any arsehole referees, we're going to win this fucking thing. 

Edited by The Moonster

14 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Tierney is imperious can you give a centre half a free role to do what he wants?

What I like is that Clarke pretty much seems to have done that last two games. Tierney and Robertson playing like that is unusual but that’s what makes it a big asset,  so I am glad he’s not been rigidly insisting on Tierney staying back and being solely a defender. 

What I like about Nisbet is that he’s equally capable of scoring or missing against great teams or pish teams. The big occasion doesn’t faze him. Think he’s a fantastic option even from the bench. Go forth and sink England Kevin!

17 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

What I like is that Clarke pretty much seems to have done that last two games. Tierney and Robertson playing like that is unusual but that’s what makes it a big asset,  so I am glad he’s not been rigidly insisting on Tierney staying back and being solely a defender. 

Exactly.  There's been a lot of bemoaning of Robertson for years, but it hasn't stopped with the advent of Tierney's new role.

What many fail to realise is that Robertson's attacking danger helps to open up the pitch for Tierney.  By looking to nullify Robertson (look at Israel putting two men on him at times), it open the pitch up hugely for Tierney, who can often run 50-60 yards without pressure.

The fact that Tierney can pick out a pass straight through the middle, or rampage down the left makes him incredibly useful.  If we can develop Patterson to be an attacking full back with huge pace, then we'll cause teams enormous problems as focusing on Robertson will open the pitch up even more for us.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Delighted at the two Jags youth products on the scoresheet last night.

Any Jonathan Wilson types out there know if other teams use centre backs in an attacking way in a 3-5-2 or has Steve Clarke re-invented the role?

Great performance my only worry is Clarke seems to be the only one that doesn't see the inclusion of McGregor as a liability. He was head and shoulders the worst performer on the night but kept him on regardless. It's as if he's trying to get him over a bad patch to rediscover the form we all know he has. Hopefully last night will confirm he should be nownere near the starting line up but I fear I'll be wrong about that.

12 minutes ago, velo army said:

Delighted at the two Jags youth products on the scoresheet last night.

Any Jonathan Wilson types out there know if other teams use centre backs in an attacking way in a 3-5-2 or has Steve Clarke re-invented the role?

Is it not roughly the way Sheffield United set up a couple of seasons ago when they got promoted (and first season in EPL)? Assume that they weren't the first though and Wilder isn't a maverick genius considering some of his signings.

10 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Great performance my only worry is Clarke seems to be the only one that doesn't see the inclusion of McGregor as a liability. He was head and shoulders the worst performer on the night but kept him on regardless. It's as if he's trying to get him over a bad patch to rediscover the form we all know he has. Hopefully last night will confirm he should be nownere near the starting line up but I fear I'll be wrong about that.

I think he has been a poor performer for a very long time. Yet, he keeps getting picked - are the coaches seeing something we do not?

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRover said:

Is it not roughly the way Sheffield United set up a couple of seasons ago when they got promoted (and first season in EPL)? Assume that they weren't the first though and Wilder isn't a maverick genius considering some of his signings.

Sheffield United played with "over-lapping" centre backs. So, if the play was down the right hand side, for instance, the right sided centre back would give an outball on the outside. Allowed the wing back to play more as a winger and resulted in a lot of balls crossed in from deep. The sorta position a right back would be in in a flat back four was taken but by a centre back. The difference with Scotland is it's more like an.. underlapping centre back. Tierney, especially, finds himself in the channel ye'd expect someone to cut in from the wing from. I dunno how much of a difference there really is as I never watched a whole lot of Sheffield United so I could be over simplifying. Their centre backs did seem to act as support on the wings whilst ours are pushing up in more central positions.

55 minutes ago, YorkshireRover said:

Lennon's hibs side was doing it 6 months earlier in the second half of the17/18 season with Ambrose and Hanlon. 

When we had the ball Ambrose was nearly always further forward than McGeough, and Hanlon was basically given a free role to make overlapping runs out wide, or underlapping runs into the box, with Stevenson dropping back to cover the space he vacated. 

43 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Sheffield United played with "over-lapping" centre backs. So, if the play was down the right hand side, for instance, the right sided centre back would give an outball on the outside. Allowed the wing back to play more as a winger and resulted in a lot of balls crossed in from deep. The sorta position a right back would be in in a flat back four was taken but by a centre back. The difference with Scotland is it's more like an.. underlapping centre back. Tierney, especially, finds himself in the channel ye'd expect someone to cut in from the wing from. I dunno how much of a difference there really is as I never watched a whole lot of Sheffield United so I could be over simplifying. Their centre backs did seem to act as support on the wings whilst ours are pushing up in more central positions.

Thats well explained cheers. I'll be honest and say I've not watched them too much either just bits on MOTD.

I wouldn't be surprised if there have been a few Italian teams that play a similar style to us as well.

1 hour ago, Joe Terrapin said:

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I think he has been a poor performer for a very long time. Yet, he keeps getting picked - are the coaches seeing something we do not?

The biggest reason would be that he was the only midfielder we had available (McTominay aside, because I don't think he wanted to play him), who has even an iota of defensive responsibility.

I'm running out of greenies, a very good warm up match. I know it's frightening but there's plenty to be positive about.

Hopefully there's no injury issues between now and the real deal.

A draw was probably a good result, as a win in the Netherlands would have alerted everyone to our impending Euros charge 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🤞