vs Netherlands

5 minutes ago, Marten said:

Well done Scotland. Good game from you with quite a few players out. You deserved a win. We were very lucky to draw in the end.

As for us, I think people will understand why I'm not exactly confident in our chances for the upcoming Euros !

For shure

I was well happy with the performance, particularly in the first 60 minutes of so. We were a bit ragged after McKenna, Taylor et al were brought on, but overall a good performance from the team!

37 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

In more pleasing news Wales being pumped 3-0 by France. Does make our result look even more encouraging 

Wales played with 10 men for an hour. 

I don't think these results mean anything at all. Holland would surely beat Scotland comfortably if this game had anything at stake. 

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

I don't think these results mean anything at all. Holland would surely beat Scotland comfortably if this game had anything at stake. 

why comfortably? what would be the difference in either team from what you saw tonight? 

Really chuffed with the result. Could have been a win, but tbh I expected a defeat, so I'll take that.

I know you've all been waiting with bated breath for my player ratings [emoji18] so here you go:

Gordon - 6 - solid with a bit of dodgy positioning for the late goal
Tierney - 9 - absolute machine. Think he will have his pick of the best clubs in the world after the Euros
Robbo - 7 - decent, with a world class cross for Nisbet's goal
Hendry - 6 - powerful, commanding, but still naive
Cooper - 6 - very alert but criminally missing at Depay's opener
Forrest - 5 - did a job for us but looked noticeably rusty
Turnbull - 8 - sublime passing and, as usual, dictated the pace of the game at times
Armstrong - 7 - slick going forward and kept us moving that way, but always liable to take one risk too many and leave us open to a counter attack
McGregor - 5 - huffed and puffed. The guy is a much better player than his showing tonight. Needs a rest and possibly a slightly different position
Christie - 5 - anonymous in the first half, dug us out a few times in the second by winning clever free kicks
Dykes - 5 - a noticeable drop on quality in front of that midfield - lacking the pace, balance and anticipation needed. He's definitely got a part to play for us, but Adams is the guy who I think will click with our midfielders.

Nisbet - 6 - excellent finish, didn't have much of a chance of showing anything after that as the Dutch put us under pressure
Fraser - 5 - did a job but not up to speed
McKenna - 5 - decent
Gallagher - 6 - looked comfortable for most of the Dutch onslaught
Taylor - 6 - really solid
Gilmour - 10 - world class, of course [emoji6]

That was a strong Holland team, and they certainly didn't look like they didn't care.

That Holland team was arguably stronger than any team England can put out against us and they scraped a draw because we took off Robertson and Tierney and a very dodgy free kick decision. Gordon should've done better for the free kick but still a better option than Marshall and both are much better than McLaughlin.

Very positive game which has made me much more buzzing for the Euros.

Just now, Empty It said:

That Holland team was arguably stronger than any team England can put out against us and they scraped a draw because we took off Robertson and Tierney and a very dodgy free kick decision. Gordon should've done better for the free kick but still a better option than Marshall and both are much better than McLaughlin.

Holland made two subs after half an hour as far as I can see. Maybe if they'd stayed on they'd have won. 

12 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

that first half where Israel just tore through the midfield from 10 mins onwards. Mcleish made his first substitution or "tactical change" after what, 67 mins?

I'll tell you what boils my piss to this day with that game - McLeish selected a back 5 to accommodate both Tierney and Robertson.

A back five composed of five defenders who played in a back four for their clubs at the time (O'Donnell, Souttar, Mulgrew, Tierney. Robertson).

Predictably, chaos ensued.

That selection is up there with Levein's Prague fiasco.

Edited by Barney Rubble

13 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

That is an opinion and probably wrong.

DePay aside they have very little quality available right now.

If your head is so far up your own arse and hellbent on hating on Clarke no matter what, have at it chief.

But saying Netherlands dont have much quality is mental. They arent the same as 15-20 years ago, but they still have quality. Tierney and Robertson are the only players in our team tonight that would be close to getting a game for them.

De Vrij is a regular for an Inter side thats just won Serie A.

De Ligt is a regular for Juventus and widely considered to be the next great defender. Key member in Ajax getting within seconds of a champions league final.

Wijnaldum has won the league and champions league with Liverpool. Thought to be signing for Barca.

Frankie de Jong is Barcelona's best midfielder.... Barcelona's best midfielder.

Marten de Roon is a key member of the Atalanta team thats done well in Serie A and champions leagur the past few seasons.

Weghorst just scored 20 goals in the Bundesliga.

You can claim they dont have quality. But you are, again, provably wrong.

Those are the facts.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I'll tell you what boils my piss to this day with that game - McLeish selected a back 5 to accommodate both Tierney and Robertson.

A back five composed of five defenders who played in a back four for their clubs at the time (Palmer, Souttar, Mulgrew, Tierney. Robertson).

Predictably, chaos ensued.

That selection is up there with Levein's Prague fiasco.

my recollection of that game:

1. Mulgrew's penalty

2. Israel storming through the midfield for almost the entirety of the match and having about 20 chnaces

3. Souttar being sent off

4. KT's own goal

But nothing sticks in my mind more than McLeish's inactivity where he thought if they hadn't scored with one of their ten god chances by half time we might nick it here. Then Souttar getting sent off and what Mulgrew getting injured (?) forced his hand. It was apparent to all that McLeish was not up to the job from this game - a drunken/hungover (apologies but there was something completely amiss with him at that time) rabbit caught in the headlights without a clue how to respond or act. 

Holland made two subs after half an hour as far as I can see. Maybe if they'd stayed on they'd have won. 
They were subbed off for 2 decent players and Scotland had the upper hand for most of that opening half hour, every sub they made would, on paper, walk into the Scotland squad.

What joy to some people get in always trying to find the negatives? We are 10 days aways from our first tournament game in 23 years, we have just drawn with a decent Dutch team because of a wrongly awarded free kick, we have two of the best left backs in the world and real strength in midfield.

I am nearly thirty and this is the first time I'll have been old enough to appreciate seeing Scotland at a Major Tournament. I am bloody well going to enjoy it even if we lose all three games and so should all of you. Don't know when it might come round again.

10 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I’m not knocking our performance but the way the Dutch played tonight I’d back England to beat them fairly comfortably.

Some people getting a bit carried away overhyping the Dutch. Their fans appear to unanimously think De Boer is doing a terrible job.