vs Netherlands

23 minutes ago, AJF said:

Proven experience in a team and system counts very little for me at this stage considering our recent record has been distinctly average verging on poor. If you go back to the start of our most recent Nations League campaign and include our play off matches and recent WC Qualifiers, we have a record of 4 wins from 11 matches (plus 2 penalty shootout wins after drawing). That doesn't sound terrible, but when you factor in 2 of those wins were against teams depleted by covid and another was against the Faroes, then it paints a bleak picture. Our performances have not been good at all.

Now is the perfect time to use this extended period with the team to address the issues we have and evaluate if we need to make changes. It's hardly "running around a bit more", it's players responding to the roles being asked of them and if certain players are performing well in matches/training and looking a better fit for the team then why should he persist with others?

Clarke is a top coach, I think having this extended period with them for the first time will be very beneficial.

49 minutes ago, GordonS said:

GTF.

De Ligt, Aké, de Vrij, Wijnaldum, Frankie de Jong, Luuk de Jong, Depay, van de Beek, Blind, Stekelenburg, Ranked 11th in Europe, with Scotland at 25th.

Mind games, that's what this is.

Not bad players, but too many weaknesses and they don't play together as a team. I'm very negative about the prospects of this team.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Bit concerned here at the diminished options in deeper midfield for tonight's game - McLean and Jack out, Fleck with the plague, McTominay being rested. That leaves us with McGinn (a bit less solid and certainly less effective for Scotland at DM), McGregor (good player but only had 1 commanding game for us) and Gilmour (hugely talented but uncapped and probably still physically at a disadvantage).

If this was the Luxembourg game tonight I'd start Gilmour and McGinn with Turnbull ahead, but against Holland I think we need a bit more certainty in the deeper area.

Result doesn't hugely matter, of course, but I'd hate for us to get run over. Important to keep the morale at a good level before the tourney starts in earnest.

I think McGregor and McGinn as a double pivot would work fine. 

McGregor playing as the deep lying playmaker, taking the ball from the centre backs and playing progressive passes between the lines, and McGinn as the more aggressive box-to-box player, pressing higher up the pitch, doing more running and making late forward runs. 

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Bit concerned here at the diminished options in deeper midfield for tonight's game - McLean and Jack out, Fleck with the plague, McTominay being rested. That leaves us with McGinn (a bit less solid and certainly less effective for Scotland at DM), McGregor (good player but only had 1 commanding game for us) and Gilmour (hugely talented but uncapped and probably still physically at a disadvantage).

If this was the Luxembourg game tonight I'd start Gilmour and McGinn with Turnbull ahead, but against Holland I think we need a bit more certainty in the deeper area.

Result doesn't hugely matter, of course, but I'd hate for us to get run over. Important to keep the morale at a good level before the tourney starts in earnest.

Is Gilmour available? I was assuming not since he probably didn’t meet up with the squad until Monday or Tuesday.

Saying that it’s not like he played in the final so fitness shouldn’t be a huge issue.

Is Gilmour available? I was assuming not since he probably didn’t meet up with the squad until Monday or Tuesday.
Saying that it’s not like he played in the final so fitness shouldn’t be a huge issue.
Nah they're both in Portugal but won't feature tonight.

1 hour ago, Zazu said:

I think McGregor and McGinn as a double pivot would work fine. 

McGregor playing as the deep lying playmaker, taking the ball from the centre backs and playing progressive passes between the lines, and McGinn as the more aggressive box-to-box player, pressing higher up the pitch, doing more running and making late forward runs. 

What is this?! Buzzwords ahoy!

McGregor has been gash for Scotland for a while and there's little progressive about him.

I hope people don't go mental if we win or mental if we lose as I don't think either team will be playing at full tilt. The game is just a practice match and I'd expect a fairly relaxed affair in a low key stadium. The things I'll be looking for are:

• Who will play in the back 3?
  • Tweaks to the midfield.
  • Minutes for the players who need them.
  • First caps for Turnbull and Patterson.

16 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I hope people don't go mental if we win or mental if we lose as I don't think either team will be playing at full tilt. The game is just a practice match and I'd expect a fairly relaxed affair in a low key stadium. The things I'll be looking for are:

• Who will play in the back 3?
  • Tweaks to the midfield.
  • Minutes for the players who need them.
  • First caps for Turnbull and Patterson.

We just need a disciplined performance that doesn’t give away much, doesn’t look panicked in possession, and creates a few opportunities. A win or a draw would be gratefully welcomed, but a performance is more important.

A first cap for Patterson and/or Turnbull also to be welcomed if appropriate.

Seems like it's just precautionary - would definitely rather they weren't taking any chances at this point. Just means those guys will get their game against Luxembourg instead of tonight.

------------------Gordon------------------------

--------Cooper-McKenna-Tierney----------

Forrest-McTominay-McGregor-Robertson

--------Armstrong------Christie---------------

---------------------Dykes------------------------

Swap in Turnbull for McTominay and move Armstrong back if McTominay isn't travelling. I'm presuming Gilmour isn't there yet.

I'd have Fraser up top and Forrest RWB if it's necessary for them both to play, which it seems to be. Neither have played much (or at all) recently, but if Fraser's gonna play at the Euros then it'll hopefully be as a striker so play him there in the friendlies.

IMO:

Gordon
Cooper Gallagher Tierney
Forrest Armstrong McGregor Robertson
Christie
Dykes Fraser

I reckon Hendry and McKenna will play instead of Cooper and Gallagher and don't think Fraser will start. Nisbet or Turnbull will probably come in for him.

On the upside, the Armstrong-McGregor-Christie midfield was great fun against Israel a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I kind of feel that tonight's a bit of a waste of time now.

Pretty much is a waste of time - chance for some others who otherwise may not have started to get game time. 

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Seems like it's just precautionary - would definitely rather they weren't taking any chances at this point. Just means those guys will get their game against Luxembourg instead of tonight.

------------------Gordon------------------------

--------Cooper-McKenna-Tierney----------

Forrest-McTominay-McGregor-Robertson

--------Armstrong------Christie---------------

---------------------Dykes------------------------

Swap in Turnbull for McTominay and move Armstrong back if McTominay isn't travelling. I'm presuming Gilmour isn't there yet.

Came across an interview with Clarke yesterday where he said Gilmour had arrived and McTominay on his way so don't think McTominay will play if he's only arriving (presumably) today or late last night. 

My team was the exact same as accies1874.

I've read a couple of previews of tonight's match indicating Gilmour would get some game time but that Mctominay won't be there in time for it. Potentially this elevates Gilmour or Turnbull to starting or they rush Mctominay in.

I think the real downside is both RBs being out, shame Patterson won't get a run out. Apart from that I think we can still field a team that isn't far away from a starting XI and lets us look at a couple of the alternative options for CB and CM. Chance for Cooper or McKenna to claim the remaining CB position and for Turnbull and Gilmour to stake a claim.