Travelling to Hampden for Euros

Looking for some advice, travelling down to Hampden for the match v Czech Republic. Have been to Hampden umpteen times but see that for the Euros they are advising fans to take public transport or walk where possible.  I'm coming from the North of Scotland, hoping to stay in Stirling the day before the match and then was going to drive and park at Hampden as normal. What would be my best course of action?  Train into Central Glasgow and then another one out to Hampden? Not overly keen on taking the train given the way of the world right now but if needs must then that's what I'll do.

I'd always recommend walking back from Hampden, particularly with less crowds on the streets this time around.  If it's a nice enough day, just walk out there too.  Safer than cramming onto a train.  It's not exactly a short walk, but if you can do it, you may as well.

I don't see any reason not to drive to be honest, especially if that's what you were planning anyway. Even Covid aside, before events like the Commonwealth Games at Hampden they strongly encouraged people not to drive. As a result, things like their park and ride buses were heaving and poorly organised at times, while people who drove could park near Hampden easily and walk.

Even if they close off more streets than normal, with the reduced capacity, I can't see any hassle parking and walking to the ground.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2021 at 16:26, HibeeJibee said:

Olympics in 2012 they'd special carparking on Queen Park Rec beyond hospital. Assume won't this time but Monday daytime, max quarter capacity, you'd think parking>walking could be OK distance-wise.

Live not too far away and can confirm they’ve converted it to a temporary car park. No idea what the process is for using it though, assume you’ll be able to drive up and park. 

17 hours ago, pthardie said:

Live not too far away and can confirm they’ve converted it to a temporary car park. No idea what the process is for using it though, assume you’ll be able to drive up and park. 

Thanks. Having searched online - and found some articles on the locals moaning over the grass being flattened! - it seems unclear whether it's for joe public or just UEFA and the blazers.

On 31/05/2021 at 14:46, starryfish said:

Looking for some advice, travelling down to Hampden for the match v Czech Republic. Have been to Hampden umpteen times but see that for the Euros they are advising fans to take public transport or walk where possible.  I'm coming from the North of Scotland, hoping to stay in Stirling the day before the match and then was going to drive and park at Hampden as normal. What would be my best course of action?  Train into Central Glasgow and then another one out to Hampden? Not overly keen on taking the train given the way of the world right now but if needs must then that's what I'll do.

Take public transport. You have a safe, reliable train and bus link to Hampden from Stirling. Chill out and enjoy a wee refreshment. 

On 10/06/2021 at 16:41, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I stay in Kings Park and there's tonnes of space to park on Kingsacre Road which is just outside the restricted area and a ten minute walk away

Thanks for this... we headed there, spot-on.