Andy Roxburgh

I remember as a 15 year old stumbling across this series and finding Roxburgh the most interesting character I'd listened to in Scottish football. The trick he's doing at 5.13 was new to me then and kept me busy for many an hour when I was younger.

12 hours ago, AyrExile said:

Wottes article today has a bit more info and it seems other countries run similar. Not sure it that involves sending kids to a regional centre or it happens more locally.  Whilst the number of hours practice is important I think the attitude and awareness piece is key in Scotland. Lots of very good players who would usually reach a certain age then fall away due to outside influences 

In the late 90s the German FA set up 121 regional centres to provide weekly coaching for 14,000 talented 11-17 year olds who weren't signed to professional youth teams. They were particularly focussed on more rural areas where quality players were more likely to go unnoticed by academy scouts. I think it was thought that 10 players from the 2014 World Cup winning squad would probably not have made it professionally if these hadn't been set up.

Germany found Miroslav Klose out in the boondocks playing for non-pro Blaubach Diedelkopf in the 1990s. Since then he has managed to become:

• FIFA World Cup men's all-time record goalscorer (16)
  • Germany national team all-time record goalscorer (71)
  • Only player to have had four or more (consecutive) World Cup medals (1 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze)
  • Only men's player to have appeared in four or more (consecutive) semi-finals in World Cups

Not too shabby. 😎

When I was in primary school we played a seven a side tournament at Telford Street Park before a Scotland Under 21 game was played.  Andy Roxburgh and Craig Brown were there and he gave us a talk afterwards basically saying that smaller sided games were the best way to do it and that they were more fun etc.  He was really good and was right, it was good fun.  Our primary school team played eleven a side games on a full sized pitch at all other times though.  🤷‍♂️ It would've been about 1991.

I can't really remember much of the other coaching I got as a kid.  In primary school we never played football in PE, we never had a proper coach it was the headmaster who did it and I'm fairly sure that he didn't even like football.  The only thing I remember him teaching us was "if in doubt, put it out".  I think once we had a trial game to see who could get into the team for a match.  I also did summer coaching that Caley put on for a week once and that consisted of doing drills and then playing a match on an eleven a side pitch, again this was when I was 10 or 11 years old.  The big finale was a game against the older kids, who absolutely smashed us.

I think it's different now, I hope it is.  My nephews play football and there does seem to be more of a focus on skills and technique.  I see it from my mates as well who have kids around that age, most of the focus is on technique.  My brother did tell me once that some of the coaches of youth teams can be pretty bad - telling their kids to dive for fouls, screaming at 10 year olds from the sidelines to send it in the channel etc.  I was once out for a run and saw an adult coach of a game in Redhall Park in Edinburgh giving a bollocking to a little kid for making a mistkae in a match, making the boy cry about it.  Madness.

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

In fairness, the guy he was dropped for had just scored 10 goals in 31 appearances for Bayern Munich, on their way to winning the Bundesliga. There was a school of thought at the time that Mo Johnstone and Ally McCoist were too similar. I think it was wrong, Johnstone had enough footballing intelligence (no other type, obviously) to drop into a second striker role, but Scotland had options. 

McInally played about 50 minutes in the qualifying games. McCoist played about 90% of them and regularly up front with MoJo.

It was completely mental that McCoist didn’t start.  Going into that tournament, at least 3 other strikers had started games before McInally. 

1 hour ago, RobbieD said:

McInally played about 50 minutes in the qualifying games. McCoist played about 90% of them and regularly up front with MoJo.

It was completely mental that McCoist didn’t start.  Going into that tournament, at least 3 other strikers had started games before McInally. 

Correct.  It was good enough to start McCoist and Johnston against France but somehow Costa Rica demanded a physical presence in McInally despite him being a big huddle.  

Roxburgh had a lot to offer coaching and development wise but his Scotland teams were largely over cautios

The thing I remember about Roxburgh was one of his first post match interviews. We’d just drawn 0-0 at Hampden against Bulgaria and he said he was happy with a point as Bulgaria were technically a better team than us (which they were). It didn’t go down too well in the studio but I was quite impressed with his honesty

2 hours ago, Mr Tourette said:

The thing I remember about Roxburgh was one of his first post match interviews. We’d just drawn 0-0 at Hampden against Bulgaria and he said he was happy with a point as Bulgaria were technically a better team than us (which they were). It didn’t go down too well in the studio but I was quite impressed with his honesty

Paid off big time with us finishing 4th place out of 5 and losing at home to an Ireland team that absolutely weren't technically better than us. That Scotland team featured Paul McStay, Gordon Strachan, Davie Cooper, Roy Aitken, Mo Johnston and Charlie Nicholas. We somehow managed to go and beat that all-conquering Bulgarian behemoth in Sofia too, which somewhat belies the suggestion that a draw at home was a good result.

Drawing at home against good teams is no big deal - we did it against Austria recently - but I don't want to hear our manager saying that they're happy with a point. "A point isn't the worst thing" or something like that is fine, but making it sound like you played for a point is a loser attitude.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Paid off big time with us finishing 4th place out of 5 and losing at home to an Ireland team that absolutely weren't technically better than us. That Scotland team featured Paul McStay, Gordon Strachan, Davie Cooper, Roy Aitken, Mo Johnston and Charlie Nicholas. We somehow managed to go and beat that all-conquering Bulgarian behemoth in Sofia too, which somewhat belies the suggestion that a draw at home was a good result.

Drawing at home against good teams is no big deal - we did it against Austria recently - but I don't want to hear our manager saying that they're happy with a point. "A point isn't the worst thing" or something like that is fine, but making it sound like you played for a point is a loser attitude.

It usually is the worst thing.

In qualifying, you pretty much have to beat every team at home if you want to finish ahead of them, unless you can miraculously reverse the result.

ie - If Austria beat us over there, we're as good as out.

There isn't a magic formula to winning a group - drawing one home game isn't going to torpedo a campaign. Looking at the Euro 2020 qualifiers, several teams finished in the top 2 of their group despite not winning all their home games - Portugal (2 draws), Germany (1 defeat), Netherlands (1 defeat), Switzerland (1 draw), Denmark (1 draw), Wales (1 draw), Sweden (2 draws), Poland (1 draw), Austria (1 defeat), France (1 draw), Turkey (1 draw), Russia (1 defeat), Finland (1 defeat).

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

@PauloPerth do you have a link to the interview or the Sportsound episode? I can't find it anywhere.

I don't I'm afraid. I caught it on Saturday afternoon. Liam McLeod was presenting the show but it was Chic Young interviewing Roxburgh. BBC radio Scotland.. possibly medium wave?

I don't I'm afraid. I caught it on Saturday afternoon. Liam McLeod was presenting the show but it was Chic Young interviewing Roxburgh. BBC radio Scotland.. possibly medium wave?
Yeah I caught it by chance on there too. I found the sportsound podcast for that day but it doesn't include the rox interview [emoji53]

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Paid off big time with us finishing 4th place out of 5 and losing at home to an Ireland team that absolutely weren't technically better than us. That Scotland team featured Paul McStay, Gordon Strachan, Davie Cooper, Roy Aitken, Mo Johnston and Charlie Nicholas. We somehow managed to go and beat that all-conquering Bulgarian behemoth in Sofia too.

because Gary Mackay got a game !

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Paid off big time with us finishing 4th place out of 5 and losing at home to an Ireland team that absolutely weren't technically better than us

Ireland had a ( better )  defence !?

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

We had Gough, McLeish, Miller, Hansen, Malpas and Nicol available and kept 6 clean sheets in 8 games.  I don't think our defence was a problem tbh

2 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

We had Gough, McLeish, Miller, Hansen, Malpas and Nicol available and kept 6 clean sheets in 8 games.  I don't think our defence was a problem tbh

Fair enough

On 01/06/2021 at 14:22, Gordopolis said:

@PauloPerth do you have a link to the interview or the Sportsound episode? I can't find it anywhere.

Chicko's Scotland legends podcast will be available to stream from BBC Sounds on Monday according to Sportsound there. Sir Kenny being interviewed now.

Preceded by Craig Levein saying he thought we were too negative against Costa Rica AND that he informed Andy Roxburgh of his opinion

( He was not prepared to elaborate when asked 

but Roxburgh did play him against Sweden ! )

Someone said that Costa Rica played all their qualifying games behind closed doors and that is why nobody knew much about them !

Edited by ewan14

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Cheers. Listening to KK now emoji106.png

not in 1986 he wasn't

Will Young dare to ask him about withdrawing from the squad because H#ns#n was not chosen ?

Edited by ewan14