Premier Sports Cup

lennyzer0

Lowland League clubs have been threatened with expulsion from the Premier Sports Cup unless they admit Brechin City to their division instead of the Highland League after the Angus club were relegated from League 2.

It's from the Daily Mail, so presumably bullshit?

There definitely was a genuine effort to push this line last year, but it failed then and I doubt they seriously expected it to work this time.

Given that the draw has already been made with a Lowland League team in it (East Kilbride), it seems unlikely. I think the suggestion will have been made by someone, somewhere, at some point, but clearly the SPFL haven't followed through - and I can't really see why they'd give that much of a f**k now.

Edited by craigkillie

This would seem like the worse moment to choose to threaten the LL, given both leagues have a nice round 18 clubs and the regionalised draw has already been made.

LL clubs would need to decide if moving the boundary north was the price to pay for one or two clubs getting LC prize money each season (min. £17k+gates IIRC). With five clubs in Europe, if the drawing of lots had gone the other way Fraserburgh would be in and there'd be nothing for the LL to worry about, this year anyway.

20 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I call bullshit.

Could be genuine. This was threatened in early 2020 as well and a recent report concerning the HL AGM in the P&J made it clear that Brechin City have not been in contact with the HL yet suggesting they are not reconciled to that being their destination for 2021-22.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

... - and I can't really see why they'd give that much of a f**k now.

The league cup format appears to be at the discretion of the SPFL board so an old pals act by the blazers to apply pressure on behalf of Ken Ferguson and Brechin City is certainly possible in this context even if it wasn't possible for them to cancel the 2020-21 Club 42 playoff outright. 

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Rules and Regulations 16-Mar-21 (MASTER COPY) CLEAN.pdf

The Competition shall be contested by all Clubs in the League in the relevant Season and by the champion club of each of the Scottish Highland Football League and the Scottish Lowland Football League ("Recognised Leagues") in the immediately preceding season, subject that, in the event that a Club shall have been relegated from the League through the Pyramid Play-Off Competition at the end of the immediately preceding Season then such relegated Club, in substitution for the relevant champion club of the Scottish Highland Football League or the Scottish Lowland Football League in the immediately preceding season, which shall have been promoted to the League and which will be a Club competing in terms of this Regulation 4.2, shall be eligible to participate in the Competition. The Board may, if it considers appropriate in any Season or Seasons, alter/vary whether any of the classes of participant Clubs or clubs identified in this Regulation shall be invited to and shall participate in the Competition in any one or more Seasons and to make such changes to the rounds of the Competition and the balloting for such rounds as it shall consider appropriate. If the structure and/or participants in rounds and/or categories or numbers of participants in the Competition and/or rounds of the Competition shall be altered by the Board then the Board will give written notice of such change(s) to all Clubs and any other person or club with an interest in knowing such changes

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Not surpised he would be part of this and hopefully this finally lifts the lid on how Scottish football really operates for some people on here. I was met with plenty of skepticism/ridicule/abuse in early 2020 for posting about it but the evidence was reasonably clear at the time that Ian Maxwell and the SFA board were trying to orchestrate having Angus as part of the LL catchment through Option Z.

The goal was Brechin/Forfar/Montrose/Arbroath in the LL if relegated as that had become an SPFL board hobby horse through Ken Ferguson's influence and the east region in as a tier 6 feeder to the new LL East alongside the EoS with the three regions of an intact SJFA entering at the same time so all the blazers resident at Hampden would get what they wanted for their fiefdoms and live happily ever after. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Taken from another forum, this is the story in the Daily Mail. Not just the SPFL, seems like Ian Maxwell was involved as well. 

brechin.jpg

Re: that last sentence- they do know what league they are playing in, they are just kicking and screaming about it. The article reads like they've been abandoned like a newborn left at the church steps in a basket.

Another embarrassing note in Brechin's history, ang again I feel sorry for the fans who mainly seem to accept their situation and just want to get on with it, as opposed to Ken Ferguson, who has royally fucked it the past few years and has been scrambling to 'fix' it ever since. 

(Although the LL have set a "pay your way in" precedent so maybe you can't blame him now...)

On 29/05/2021 at 11:06, craigkillie said:

There definitely was a genuine effort to push this line last year, but it failed then and I doubt they seriously expected it to work this time.

Given that the draw has already been made with a Lowland League team in it (East Kilbride), it seems unlikely. I think the suggestion will have been made by someone, somewhere, at some point, but clearly the SPFL haven't followed through - and I can't really see why they'd give that much of a f**k now.

As far as I know it didn’t fail -  it was moot because the question never arose as Brechin weren’t relegated. That is, the clubs didn’t have a vote on the live issue.

1 hour ago, BS7 said:

As far as I know it didn’t fail -  it was moot because the question never arose as Brechin weren’t relegated. That is, the clubs didn’t have a vote on the live issue.

It was mentioned on here that the clubs were steadfastly against even the suggestion of it though, and were annoyed at the threats being made.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It was mentioned on here that the clubs were steadfastly against even the suggestion of it though, and were annoyed at the threats being made.

Very much so - George Fraser (the good one, not the evil twin) gave a very good interview on BBC Scotland on the subject.

Could be genuine. This was threatened in early 2020 as well and a recent report concerning the HL AGM in the P&J made it clear that Brechin City have not been in contact with the HL yet suggesting they are not reconciled to that being their destination for 2021-22.

They’ll need to contact the HL soon or they might end up not playing anywhere!