Cup of the South 2021-22

26 minutes ago, Casey Jones said:

Have a look at my comments on the Musselburgh page, then I will wait for your apology 👍

Anyway, from your comment, you agreed with what I said about Haddington. 

from what I seen,,,, Haddy on balance deserved the win. Dunbar seemed to have players at different levels of fitness. They put up a good show, but went down to a last minute penalty. I've no idea if that was a full strength Haddy or not. But I'm confident that if a few more Seasiders had been fit, it would have been a different kettle of fish. Good luck to Haddy against Leith. I've seen Haddy 3 times and Leith twice this season. For me, I'd be putting my money on Leith. 

9 minutes ago, Man from the East said:

from what I seen,,,, Haddy on balance deserved the win. Dunbar seemed to have players at different levels of fitness. They put up a good show, but went down to a last minute penalty. I've no idea if that was a full strength Haddy or not. But I'm confident that if a few more Seasiders had been fit, it would have been a different kettle of fish. Good luck to Haddy against Leith. I've seen Haddy 3 times and Leith twice this season. For me, I'd be putting my money on Leith. 

Since you have seen both teams, I am not going to argue with you, but I expect the winners of the conference will be one of them and I hope it will be the hi hi! I’ve seen them 3 times this season too and you can see why they are having a good season. What helps is they probably have the best keeper in the conference. Should be playing in the Premier league, so hopefully will with promotion at end of season. 

Very little between them though. Both undefeated this season, both undefeated last season in league before it was cancelled and in one before that, although in different conferences, Leith were only 3pts ahead of Haddington, winning one more match. 

Whoever comes out top in their two league matches has to be favourite to win their conference this season. 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Scottish non-league's premier cup returns this coming weekend with R2 aka Last 128 - being final stage before it goes 'all in' from R3.

In previous round EOS excelled, with only Heriot-Watt Uni losing (aet > penalties).

There are 2 ties involving EOS clubs on Friday night, and 29 more on Saturday.

Jeanfield v Broomhill, Berwick v Broxburn and LTHV v Civil Service are interesting Lowland-EOS Premier clashes. Cumbernauld v Inverkeithing pits WOS Premier-EOS Premier. Dundonald v Crossgates, Linlithgow v Camelon and Newtongrange v Tranent are all-EOS Premier derbies.

Haddington v Leith intrigues; Blackburn v Stoneyburn, Coldstream v Tweedmouth and West Calder v Bathgate are local derbies; and Dunipace v Sauchie previews their Scottish Cup clash.

Rosyth, Kirkcaldy & Dysart, Burntisland, Kennoway, Arniston, Easthouses, Dalkeith and Whitburn face tall orders against Lowland opponents several tiers above them.

Friday 15th October 2021
North-East Zone
Bo'ness Athletic v Gartcairn (7:45pm)
Cumbernauld Colts v Rosyth

Saturday 16th October 2021
North-East Zone
Bo'ness United v Kirkcaldy & Dysart
Burntisland Shipyard v University of Stirling
Caledonian Braves v Kennoway Star Hearts
Cumbernauld United v Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts
Dundonald Bluebell v Crossgates Primrose
Dunipace v Sauchie
Glasgow University v Luncarty
Glenrothes v St Andrews United
Jeanfield Swifts v Broomhill
Kinnoull v Harthill Royal
Linlithgow Rose v Camelon
Syngenta v Oakley United
Thornton Hibs v Lochore Welfare
South-East Zone
Berwick Rangers v Broxburn Athletic
Blackburn United v Stoneyburn
Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic v Arniston Rangers
Coldstream v Tweedmouth Rangers
Easthouses Lily v Spartans
Edinburgh College v Penicuik Athletic
Edinburgh University v Dalkeith Thistle
Haddington Athletic v Leith Athletic
Lothian Thistle HV v Civil Service Strollers (3pm)
Newtongrange Star v Tranent
Ormiston v Hawick RAU
Preston Athletic v Peebles Rovers
Pumpherston v Edinburgh United
Tynecastle v Armadale Thistle
West Calder United v Bathgate Thistle
Whitburn v Gala Fairydean Rovers

On 10/10/2021 at 18:00, HibeeJibee said:

Scottish non-league's premier cup returns this coming weekend...

Don't the north clubs need to be factored in before you can make that sort of statement? Hopefully all the usual lunatic blazer politics will be resolved and there will be a single premier national cup for all of the non-league pyramid from next season onwards. Can understand why there is regionalisation but more WoS vs EoS ties would have helped add a bit of spice to this round. 

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Don't the north clubs need to be factored in before you can make that sort of statement?

The SJC was pitched as the premier competition non-league football and didn't involve everyone in the non-league. There are more teams competiting in the SCC than any other non-league competition this year. Doesn't seem to be a controversial take, except for those looking for one.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Whatever bud. Try finding someone who actually cares about the senior vs junior divide if you want a time-wasting argument. It's all just football as far as I am concerned.

I think everyone can tell you very much care about the senior v. junior divide, since everyone's moved on to the Scottish non-league.

Find someone who actually cares about the senior vs junior divide if you want an argument on that point. The north clubs are definitely needed before you can claim to have Scotland's premier nonleague competition given the quality of clubs like Brora and Brechin City. According to a WoS officeholder who posts on here that angle is currently being addressed in pyramid related meetings and the LL, SoS and EoS are on board with the concept of a national rather than south cup as the main flagship competition.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Find someone who actually cares about the senior vs junior divide if you want an argument on that point. The north clubs are definitely needed before you can claim to have Scotland's premier nonleague competition given the quality of clubs like Brora and Brechin City. According to a WoS officeholder who posts on here that angle is currently being addressed in pyramid related meetings and the LL, SoS and EoS are on board with the concept of a national rather than south cup as the main flagship competition.

Which other competition can honestly claim to be the premier non-league competition outwith the SCC?

From 2007-08 onwards, the SCC filled the niche that had earlier been addressed by the South Qualifying Cup, which inherently wasn't a national competition given it was only regional in scope. There are moves in progress at pyramid league related meetings to have a nonleague cup competition that is national in scope and according to a WoS officeholder who posts on here the LL, EoS and SoS are on board with that concept, so as stated in my post above hopefully we'll be seeing that emerge from next season onwards.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

53 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

From 2007-08 onwards, the SCC filled the niche that had earlier been addressed by the South Qualifying Cup, which inherently wasn't a national competition given it was only regional in scope. There are moves in progress at pyramid league related meetings to have a nonleague cup competition that is national in scope and according to a WoS officeholder who posts on here the LL, EoS and SoS are on board with that concept, so as stated in my post above hopefully we'll be seeing that emerge from next season onwards.

Is their a need for it to be national what is the benefit of those north juniors coming down and getting skidded by pollok who have 500 fans

If something is going to be billed as "Scottish non-league's premier cup" then it needs to be national in scope. Otherwise, it remains as it is now the south pyramid's premier cup. As things stand at the moment there is no nonleague cup competition that caters to all of the clubs in the nonleague pyramid in Scotland. Hopefully by next season that will change. I am completely indifferent to the question of who organises it or what it is called. All that's important is that somebody does and there is Scottish in the competition's name.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

53 minutes ago, glasgow-sheep said:

Any chance this could be moved into the Domestic Cups Forum as was trying to find info about this weekend and took me a while to find it here.  Looking forward to round 3 to see how the WoSL teams get on vs EoSL and LL

There's already a thread there. 

1 hour ago, glasgow-sheep said:

Any chance this could be moved into the Domestic Cups Forum as was trying to find info about this weekend and took me a while to find it here.  Looking forward to round 3 to see how the WoSL teams get on vs EoSL and LL

Hopefully a moderator sees this and gets it shifted. When clubs from multiple pyramid leagues are involved in the south pyramid's premier cup it is probably best to keep everything in one subforum. That will be even more applicable from round 3 onwards.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Hopefully a moderator sees this and gets it shifted. When clubs from multiple pyramid leagues are involved in the south pyramid's premier cup it is probably best to keep everything in one subforum. That will be even more applicable from round 3 onwards.

This is a thread specific to the discussion of EoSFL clubs which is why it is here. There's already a South Challenge Cup thread in the Domestic Cup forum.

Getting into the debate about it being Scotland's premier non league cup. I would say it is given the number of entrants to it.

Someday we will maybe get an all in fully national non league cup but home many of the HL and North Juniors would be up for it? A lot of the juniors used to drop out of the SJC if they had a long trip south which would lose money.