COWDENBEATH 2021-22

Sorry don’t agree. Big help defensively at set pieces. How often have we lost goals at corners?
Just wasn’t used properly.

First point is fair he was, but that’s not being mentioned. All the talk is the goals he’s scoring for Tranent and how little goals we’re scoring.

No sure what’s meant by wasn’t used properly?

He was a target man striker who almost always had someone playing alongside him. How else was he supposed to be used? He was also shocking at winning headers in forward areas. Really bad. That’s what made his defensive ability’s so surprising.

First point is fair he was, but that’s not being mentioned. All the talk is the goals he’s scoring for Tranent and how little goals we’re scoring.

No sure what’s meant by wasn’t used properly?

He was a target man striker who almost always had someone playing alongside him. How else was he supposed to be used? He was also shocking at winning headers in forward areas. Really bad. That’s what made his defensive ability’s so surprising.

Problem was those playing alongside weren’t up to it. Until the two new guys came in we had no attacking threat. Hopefully they can change things.

Have to agree with Stevie Les II here.

Renton is scoring some goals in the EOS league, basically a league with a mixture of teams that range from amateur to junior standard. 
Had plenty chances at Cowden and showed it was a level too high for him these days.

Still better than Carty though to be fair, but that’s a different debate.

Just to chip in in the Renton debate, until Liam this season we never once had anyone be prepared to be alongside him or gamble on him winning a flick on. at the start of the season I thought with Liam they linked up well and we were on to a winner.

Take the point about him being better defending in the box but for the last how many years he has had to win a punt up the park and win the second ball as well.

And he is a million miles better than Carty horse.

7 hours ago, wulliemc said:

Just to chip in in the Renton debate, until Liam this season we never once had anyone be prepared to be alongside him or gamble on him winning a flick on. at the start of the season I thought with Liam they linked up well and we were on to a winner.

Take the point about him being better defending in the box but for the last how many years he has had to win a punt up the park and win the second ball as well.

And he is a million miles better than Carty horse.

Renton and Buchs did seem to be a good partnership at the start of the season and were scoring a decent number of goals.

Agree about what you said about previous seasons.

As I mentioned when he left I would have liked him to have stayed for the rest of the season.

Boys. What are we talking about?

In the 11 games Renton and Buchs started together we won 1 and they scored 5 between them, 2 of which were Liam pens in the only win.

Now I’m not saying they were the only issue, not by a long shot, but the way some are talking like Renton would save us now is simply wrong.

He is better than Carty though but so is Somey so……..

8 hours ago, StevieLes II said:

In the 11 games Renton and Buchs started together we won 1 and they scored 5 between them, 2 of which were Liam pens in the only win.

Now I’m not saying they were the only issue, not by a long shot, but the way some are talking like Renton would save us now is simply wrong.

I take it your not including the league cup group games in your count?

He wasn’t ideal but we never got anyone really better.

Edited by cowdenbeath

focus on the now and focus on the future no point in looking back. The manager made the changes and overall our squad has players who can come in and be more effective we have a much better squad for sure. The team is performing better and apart from Stranraer away all other games we have been in them and should have won more points so thats the positive. The negative is of course why are we not turning them into points.

I genuinely believe in this side and staff to get us out of the play offs. Positivity is what is required and btw the next few games may mean offering more opportunities to players who are itching for chances and managing the squad to ensure we go into the play offs with everyone having mins in their legs and ready to go and everyone knowing their job attacking/defensively.

We can do this. 

P.S Watched Bonnyrigg the other night and yeah i changed my mind i fancy them to pump whomever they play in highland league win by 2 goals over 2 legs for sure.

Still dont believe they are better than us though. 

For what its worth Renton was a team player and proper great lad. Sad how it ended however we move on and he will too. I will try get him in for an ex players game in the future to catch up with fans as he does genuinely care for the club.

Just a side note the ex players game and fans game is 22nd May so anyone wanting to come to central that day please do and make a donation for entry. Here is a list of ex players playing thus far.

Andy Carlin/David Mcgurn/Mark Baxter/Mo Ross/Scott Linton/Pat scullion/Gary fusco/Kevin Mcbride/Dick Bailie/Mark Bradley/Craig Mcmillan/Jay Stein/John Dempster/Colin Cameron/Bryan Gilfillan/David Mckenna/Ryan Mcallum/Toorie Winter/Jordyn Sheerin/Jon Robertson/Graeme Brown/Gareth Wardlaw/Darren Gribben/Martyn Fotheringham/Marc Mckenzie/Mark Ramsay/Jamie Stevenson/Murray Mcdowell and 10 lucky fans after bidding finishes.

official squads for each team will be announced 1 week before game. Some class ex players coming and potentially adding 1 maybe 2 star players if they can make it...........

44 minutes ago, NELLY 1 said:

For what its worth Renton was a team player and proper great lad. Sad how it ended however we move on and he will too. I will try get him in for an ex players game in the future to catch up with fans as he does genuinely care for the club.

Just a side note the ex players game and fans game is 22nd May so anyone wanting to come to central that day please do and make a donation for entry. Here is a list of ex players playing thus far.

Andy Carlin/David Mcgurn/Mark Baxter/Mo Ross/Scott Linton/Pat scullion/Gary fusco/Kevin Mcbride/Dick Bailie/Mark Bradley/Craig Mcmillan/Jay Stein/John Dempster/Colin Cameron/Bryan Gilfillan/David Mckenna/Ryan Mcallum/Toorie Winter/Jordyn Sheerin/Jon Robertson/Graeme Brown/Gareth Wardlaw/Darren Gribben/Martyn Fotheringham/Marc Mckenzie/Mark Ramsay/Jamie Stevenson/Murray Mcdowell and 10 lucky fans after bidding finishes.

official squads for each team will be announced 1 week before game. Some class ex players coming and potentially adding 1 maybe 2 star players if they can make it...........

Champion effort Nel

2 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Point is, is he better than anything we have just now? Case rested.

That’s what I was trying to say I’d have to have a look but the Buchs Renton partnership yielded more goals than what Stevie said I’m sure.

That’s what I was trying to say I’d have to have a look but the Buchs Renton partnership yielded more goals than what Stevie said I’m sure.

Was a two minute look on flash-score and was only looking at the league tbf so you could be right.

Just think it’s like looking bad at an ex n fondly remembering the odd good time n not remembering the 90% of what actually was. There was certainly more than a few frustrated groans (being kind) from the terrace with him.

Also don’t wanna bash him cos he was a good lad and a trier. If he was with us and fit now he still wouldn’t get in my 11 though. 10-15 minutes player at best.

9 hours ago, StevieLes II said:

I went through it and here’s the goals both scored when they were our frontline.

League Cup 4 games.

Buchs 3 Renton 2

Scottish Cup 1 game.

Both scored 1 goal

League 8 games.

Buchs 3 Renton 2

So from a 13 game partnership they scored a combined total of 12 goals.

since that partnership broke up we have scored 12 goals in  21 games.

But as Nelly says there’s no point on dwelling on the past.

Time to look ahead, but whatever league we are in next season we need to get a frontline which can score a decent number of goals.

The Renton Buchs combo initially worked but the fact that the former manager more or less went with the same team every week we were quickly sussed out by opposition managers and players.

MR has improved our play but a January transfer window is a bad one and not easy to get a goal scorer as their all been signed up.

Edited by cowdenbeath

5 minutes ago, StevieLes II said:

Was a two minute look on flash-score and was only looking at the league tbf so you could be right.

Just think it’s like looking bad at an ex n fondly remembering the odd good time n not remembering the 90% of what actually was. There was certainly more than a few frustrated groans (being kind) from the terrace with him.

Also don’t wanna bash him cos he was a good lad and a trier. If he was with us and fit now he still wouldn’t get in my 11 though. 10-15 minutes player at best.

He was marmite with the fans some liked him others didn’t.

Brilliant, if only we could turn the clock back.

• 2 weeks later...