COWDENBEATH 2021-22

Mate a think u play too much championship manager lol. I understand your logic however some of your teams you pick are akin to champ man stuff. Entitled to your opinion though.
Our team needs to be built around a defensive structure and play from there. That's mainly down to the fact we dont have the players sadly to do what your opinion poses without being exposed and certain players get isolated in areas we really dont want them too. Football at this level is super fine margins and about territory and tactical things more than I thought. More than just play 3 strikers or put a striker on instead of a midfielder. You have to create chances and have ball possession to in turn penetrate the opposition.
We have found a good outlet in sammy and he is so unpredictable in what could be perceived a predictable way of playing so that instelf is a positive.
Keep the faith

That goal Sammy scored yesterday was as good as anything I’ve seen for a long time. At times he was causing panic in the Forfar defence, went off the boil last quarter. If he could play like that every week he’d be a match winner.

1 hour ago, NELLY 1 said:

We have bucks everyone wanted bucks in the side he is a natural goalscorer sadly hasn't scored in any of last 4 or 5 games but hard to do so with no chances for him.

Mullen has been superb at left back and has scored 3 or 4 goals and gets in good positions at back post. Gr8 footballer. Good result yday and forfar naturally put us under severe pressure last 20 mins. They are a top 3 side and we more than matched them

Again take positives. Played top 4 or 5 teams and not lost last 2 games and arguably should have won stenny especially.

Players gave their all in a stifling heat and energy was zapped a little last 15. 

Aye no one can complain about Buchs as we all wanted him in the side, I still do.

I think if he gets a goal he can go on a run, seen this happen in the past.

Fraz has scored 5 goals now. I    was a bit surprised he wasn’t playing yesterday.

Good to see Sammy score will give the boy a confidence boost for the run in.

In normal circumstances a draw wouldn’t have been the worst result but no good with the two sides above winning.

On the positive side we have stopped that run of defeats in the last two games, need to stop losing late goals though.

The lad Ompreon could have a field day against Bonnyrigg if that's who it ends up being. That sheer and utter pace will terrify what they have at the back and wouldn't have faced it all season. Bonnyrigg are brutally slow at the back and I'd fancy Cowden to turn them over.

3 minutes ago, Neilly said:

The lad Ompreon could have a field day against Bonnyrigg if that's who it ends up being. That sheer and utter pace will terrify what they have at the back and wouldn't have faced it all season. Bonnyrigg are brutally slow at the back and I'd fancy Cowden to turn them over.

Neilly you’re a changed man. Not sure what happened but I like it. 

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

I’ve been saying this for a while now, Bonnyrigg suffer from a lack of pace in their team, and I think it might be their undoing.

On 24/03/2022 at 12:49, Ivo den Bieman said:

It's not true that most of that Cove side are playing at the top of L1- nonsense, in fact. Sheran is now a director and only 2-3 of Saturday's team that beat Montrose were around in their HL championship season.

It is true.  Airdrie away yesterday they had six starters from their HL days (McKenzie, Ross, Milne, Scully, Yule and Megginson) and two on the bench (Strachan and Masson).    In the Montrose game Milne was suspended so there were only five HL starters and Masson came on as sub. Strachan was still injured.  Very rare that Cove start an important game without a majority of ex HL players.

On 27/03/2022 at 08:04, NELLY 1 said:

Mate a think u play too much championship manager lol. I understand your logic however some of your teams you pick are akin to champ man stuff. Entitled to your opinion though.

Our team needs to be built around a defensive structure and play from there. That's mainly down to the fact we dont have the players sadly to do what your opinion poses without being exposed and certain players get isolated in areas we really dont want them too. Football at this level is super fine margins and about territory and tactical things more than I thought. More than just play 3 strikers or put a striker on instead of a midfielder. You have to create chances and have ball possession to in turn penetrate the opposition.

We have found a good outlet in sammy and he is so unpredictable in what could be perceived a predictable way of playing so that instelf is a positive.

Keep the faith

I don't play it. Did a few times many years ago though.

I get what you are saying, but football is a simple game. We need to create chances and score. We play too defensively and yet still concede and still lose. We are adrift at the bottom of a league full of poor teams (with the exception of Kelty and Annan are ok) for good reason.

Forfar were poor on Saturday, just as they were poor in the game at Central. Stenny were woeful in the game at Central. both sets of fans will tell you that. Yet we came away with just 2 points from a possible 9. That's why we are bottom. The last win we had was against Elgin and they were awful that day too and they still could have come away with a point. I like most of what Ross says and does and we would not be bottom if he was there at the start of the season, but it's results that count, not looking organised or having great shape. We probably wouldn't have the same team if Ross was there from the start.

However, we have players who create. Ferguson, Swann, Ompreon, Aikamhenze, Mullen. Thomson as well, but he is injured. Liam creates chances as well, but unfortunately he should be in the middle trying to convert them instead of having to create them. Ferguson should be the first name on the team sheet.

Some might say that Ompreon and Aikamhenze are young and inexperienced, but what's the alternative? We lose anyway. Should we play Robbie and Bobby? Robbie works his socks off a lot of the time and made a few key interceptions on Saturday, but he rarely ever creates anything when he is upfront. What threat does Bobby pose? The only time we have looked dangerous is when Ompreon and Aikamhenze are on or Ferguson comes on. The rest of the time we just lump it in the air. We are far too static. Too many players not looking for the ball or moving into space. Still launching long throws into the box and nothing ever comes of it.

For me (and I will always go with an attacking formation), Ferguson, Ompreon, Aikamhenze and Liam have to start and Swann has to at least come on in plenty of time, if not starting (and if anyone needs reminding, it was Harvey who scored 2 in the play-off final against Cove). Yeah, it might not work, but newsflash, what we are doing doesn't work. That's why we are bottom.

We need to be preparing for the play-off now in the final games. Preparing to win it, not preparing to try and scrape through to a penalty shootout. Or preparing to look organised and have great shape and still lose.

1 hour ago, Kelheart said:

Bonnyrigg will score if they get to play off final , defo get a penalty as they get one every game , almost as many as Cowden get to be fair 😁

This season is the first in a long time we have had a lot of penalties , just as well😀

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

This season is the first in a long time we have had a lot of penalties , just as well😀

I could be wrong but I think last season the only penalty we got was on the last day of the season?

There was also a season circa 2013 where we missed about 7 in a row. 

39 minutes ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

I could be wrong but I think last season the only penalty we got was on the last day of the season?

There was also a season circa 2013 where we missed about 7 in a row. 

Aye would have to check but sure your right, even that was the last kick of the season😀

Renton scored again on Saturday.

Please stop.
The man played 11 games before his injury then fall out and scored 2 goals.

His record (according to Wiki) since coming back is 11 goals in 79 games.

He simply wasn’t good or effective in his second spell. It’s amazing what absence does to people’s memory.

36 minutes ago, StevieLes II said:

Please stop.

He simply wasn’t good or effective in his second spell. It’s amazing what absence does to people’s memory.

I make it 14 goals in 100 games during his second spell.

I liked Renton as a player but he wasn't a goalscorer. We never utilised him enough - players never anticipating him winning balls in the air.

Please stop.

Sorry don’t agree. Big help defensively at set pieces. How often have we lost goals at corners?
Just wasn’t used properly.