COWDENBEATH 2021-22

Was at the game as a neutral but would have preferred a Cowden win. Sad to see a fellow Fife club drop out the league. For what it's worth thought cowden should have had a stonewall penalty and Bonnyrigg award was a bit soft.

Not a great game but hearing a Xmas song at half time was pretty entertaining for middle of May. Good luck on coming back up. 

8 hours ago, Brewing up a storm said:

Livingston fans with their own bizarre version of Dale Carnegie's 'How to win friends and influence people' and desperately trying to pick Internet fights with Cowden supporters.

Weird club, weird fans...

Try reading some of their match threads on the Premiership forum (matches that they actually won, by the way).

Why have some Livi fans such antipathy towards Cowdenbeath? Did Cowden beat then 27,000,000 - 0 some time?

1 hour ago, big al said:

TOB best part time defender around these days. Watched your play off games and was hoping Arbroath won and made it up to the premier.

Most fans are just normal people but sadly there’s always a few, you are on that shortlist. Not sure what you get out of it, suspect there are deeper issues which I honestly hope you can overcome.

Enjoy the success while it lasts, everything comes and goes in cycles.

As for putting my name on here, sums you up. Weird.

That Arbroath fan sounds like an absolute weapon. Nothing like a team being relegated out the football league to smoke out all the bellends from the dark corners of P&B. Generally it’s  certified shitebags who wouldn’t say boo to a goose in person of course. 

Hopefully Cowden do well in the Lowland league. I give credit to those of you who support the club, but your fanbase is ultimately pretty small and it was probably always a risk you would eventually go down. 

Went to the game as a neutral.  This was partly to see Bonnyrigg in the flesh, as possible opponents next year.  And partly for a last visit to Central Park for a few years.  (Not a last visit, since I’m sure Stranraer will be there again in the next few years, either in the SPFL or the Lowland.)  Although the ground is ramshackle, much prefer it to bland one-sided modern stadia.

in truth this was an awful game with not much good football on display.  If I had been a Cowdenbeath fan I would have been shocked - but maybe not surprised - at the lack of effort or urgency from many in the team. There was little sense of this being a team fighting for its league status.  However, Cowden were a bit unlucky on the day.  They had the better of the few chances, and suffered from the referee’s penalty calls. But they never looked as if they would overturn a three goal deficit. And many of the side looked as if they didn’t care  

I was also struck at the lack of anger from the Cowden support. If I had been a supporter I would have been enraged at how the Board have allowed a club that was in the Championship less than a decade ago to fall to this level, and at a management team that have had little impact since appointment.  But barely a whimper at the end.

As for Bonnyrigg, perhaps this wasn’t them at their best, and maybe they deliberately set out to contain.  But I didn’t see much from them and they looked like a non-league side (including their wastelines).  They will need substantial changes to their squad if they’re going to challenge in League Two next season. They are not a Cove or a Kelty, but that’s maybe a helpful thing for a decent competition in League Two next year that’s not predetermined by who has (by far) the biggest budget. 

I would not like to be playing in the Lowland League as-is, so commiserations to Cowden fans.  But it could be a good league within a few years, when the University and village teams find their right level, they get rid of the B teams, and even perhaps one or two more semi-professional teams in the SPFL go down. And eventually - maybe even soon - we’ll start to see teams returning to the SPFL from non-league football - as now happens regularly in the English pyramid.  And possibly even teams that can sometimes challenge in Tier 3 but may spend time as far down as Tier 6.  That will be an interesting league structure. And Cowdenbeath could be one of those sides.

What’s with the animosity between Livi and Cowden? Mocking Livingston’s support is a bit ironic. It’s not their fault that their town don’t back them. I’m well aware that Levenmouth has the same problem. We all support diddy teams together, and sadly every town and city in Scotland has too many knuckle draggers who don’t care for their local club.

6 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Went to the game as a neutral.  This was partly to see Bonnyrigg in the flesh, as possible opponents next year.  And partly for a last visit to Central Park for a few years.  (Not a last visit, since I’m sure Stranraer will be there again in the next few years, either in the SPFL or the Lowland.)  Although the ground is ramshackle, much prefer it to bland one-sided modern stadia.

in truth this was an awful game with not much good football on display.  If I had been a Cowdenbeath fan I would have been shocked - but maybe not surprised - at the lack of effort or urgency from many in the team. There was little sense of this being a team fighting for its league status.  However, Cowden were a bit unlucky on the day.  They had the better of the few chances, and suffered from the referee’s penalty calls. But they never looked as if they would overturn a three goal deficit. And many of the side looked as if they didn’t care  

I was also struck at the lack of anger from the Cowden support. If I had been a supporter I would have been enraged at how the Board have allowed a club that was in the Championship less than a decade ago to fall to this level, and at a management team that have had little impact since appointment.  But barely a whimper at the end.

As for Bonnyrigg, perhaps this wasn’t them at their best, and maybe they deliberately set out to contain.  But I didn’t see much from them and they looked like a non-league side (including their wastelines).  They will need substantial changes to their squad if they’re going to challenge in League Two next season. They are not a Cove or a Kelty, but that’s maybe a helpful thing for a decent competition in League Two next year that’s not predetermined by who has (by far) the biggest budget. 

I would not like to be playing in the Lowland League as-is, so commiserations to Cowden fans.  But it could be a good league within a few years, when the University and village teams find their right level, they get rid of the B teams, and even perhaps one or two more semi-professional teams in the SPFL go down. And eventually - maybe even soon - we’ll start to see teams returning to the SPFL from non-league football - as now happens regularly in the English pyramid.  And possibly even teams that can sometimes challenge in Tier 3 but may spend time as far down as Tier 6.  That will be an interesting league structure. And Cowdenbeath could be one of those sides.

Excellent post.

I think from talking to a few that the support had all week to get used to the idea of relegation as there was no way realistically a comeback from 3 down was possible. Maybe that explains the quiet ending?
Bonnyrigg are steady and competent, and I agree there are a few who look a little larger than your average semi pro. 
Sure they will do ok in League 2, but definitely won’t tear it up as previously seen.

Edited by big al

As said last season it’s fine lines between top LL sides and league 2 sides , I still can’t believe Cowden are down after seeing them match us in the 4 games we played  this season just lacking something up top , sort that out and keep most of the squad and you will be at the top end of LL I’m sure 

All the best lads 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Try reading some of their match threads on the Premiership forum (matches that they actually won, by the way).

Why have some Livi fans such antipathy towards Cowdenbeath? Did Cowden beat then 27,000,000 - 0 some time?

God knows. 

45 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

What’s with the animosity between Livi and Cowden? Mocking Livingston’s support is a bit ironic. It’s not their fault that their town don’t back them. I’m well aware that Levenmouth has the same problem. We all support diddy teams together, and sadly every town and city in Scotland has too many knuckle draggers who don’t care for their local club.

The Livingston fans came on here trying to be smart,

Personally couldn’t bother either way about them.

47 minutes ago, big al said:

Excellent post.

I think from talking to a few that the support had all week to get used to the idea of relegation as there was no way realistically a comeback from 3 down was possible. Maybe that explains the quiet ending?
Bonnyrigg are steady and competent, and I agree there are a few who look a little larger than your average semi pro. 
Sure they will do ok in League 2, but definitely won’t tear it up as previously seen.

If they keep the same squad I can see them at the bottom end.

Its an aging side and was probably their last chance of going up.

Edinburgh City kept the same side (which I think was better than Bonnyrigg) and they struggled in the most part.

I'm another one who went along as a neutral and also to bid farewell to Cowden. Given what was at stake I was expecting a decent game but wasn't to be. One of the worst games of football I've witnessed in a long time. Both teams were very very poor. No denying, finishing bottom for the third time Cowden deserve to go. Pretty sure on that showing, Bonnyrigg will definitely struggle next season. If that's the quality of the basement league then god help us. Hoping East Fife get the hell out quickly and hopefully up the way, although nothing is guaranteed at this level. Stevie Crawford was at the game yesterday so surely to god that must have gave him a lift and hopefully some optimism. I very much doubt he was scouting for players as there was no talent on display in this game of hoofball.

I doubt we'll see Cowden again in the SPFL. Stadium and crowds don't justify it.

That said, its quite sad and best of luck for the future Cowden.

29 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

As said last season it’s fine lines between top LL sides and league 2 sides , I still can’t believe Cowden are down after seeing them match us in the 4 games we played  this season just lacking something up top , sort that out and keep most of the squad and you will be at the top end of LL I’m sure 

All the best lads 

Goal scoring has been a problem the last few seasons which was never properly addressed.

I would imagine most of the side would be away.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Yeah, there was very little anger at the end, I think Cowden fans have felt it’s been coming for a matter other years and was a case of when and not if.

I managed a rather loud volley of mild abuse at the referee as he went up the tunnel, he did look up and looked a bit sheepish. I would have preferred to engage with him in a spirited debate about the standard of refereeing in this country than shout at him, but a good shout was all that was available.

I don’t think there was any lack of sadness, I felt so much for the number of really quite old Cowden fans at the end who would have seen everything through the years, and now this.  A few looked close to tears, and the wee ball girl about my daughter’s age who is usually behind the high street end goal was in tears as she came off, hope her Dad gave her a big hug. We hung around after for a while just taking it in, was very sad.  

1 hour ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

I don’t think there is any, I don’t have any real animosity to any team outside the ugly sisters, but if you are going to come on here and be wide on the very day we get relegated out the leagues, then what do you expect?  

14 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

...I would imagine most of the side would be away.

That's the problem Club 42 have. You are expecting players who have been losing lots of games all season and know they are about to be on a free transfer to play as if their lives depended on it.

The LL is significantly stronger now than it was when Edinburgh City were promoted. Never say never because the margins on this are relatively fine but it would be surprising if Bonnyrigg Rose struggled to the extent Edinburgh City did for the first half of their first SPFL season.

I have no grudge against Cowdenbeath, even though that was the place I had my one and only personal encounter with football violence. Walking through the car park after a game, some local yob ran up behind me, punched me on the jaw and legged it. Those who know me will know that I'm not the biggest of people so it was obvious he didn't want to pick on somebody his own size. When we got out onto the street he was standing with a crowd of his mates waiting to see if we were going to respond. We just ignored them, got back on the bus as quickly as we could and got the f**k out of Dodge,

But one arsehole doesn't represent a whole club, so I wish Cowdenbeath all the best and hope they buck the trend and come straight back up.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That's the problem Club 42 have. You are expecting players who have been losing lots of games all season and know they are about to be on a free transfer to play as if their lives depended on it.

The LL is significantly stronger now than it was when Edinburgh City were promoted. Never say never because the margins on this are relatively fine but it would be surprising if Bonnyrigg Rose struggled to the extent Edinburgh City did for the first half of their first SPFL season.

Their a workman like side but I would say the EK and Cove sides we played in the past were better.

I would imagine they would have new players coming in so maybe it won’t be the same side which kicks off in the SPFL come July.

As for us a fair point some guys maybe weren’t busting a gut knowing they would be away anyway, however that wasn’t the case against EK and Cove in the past.