COWDENBEATH 2021-22

14 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I've seen Cowden a couple of times this season and they are actually alright- there have been far worse sides in this predicament. Mariuce Ross has them playing decent enough football.

They are killed by lack of a goalscorer though-the source of all their problems. In the games I saw they should have comfortably seen off Albion Rovers at Central Park just before Christmas, and more than matched Forfar for 80% of a game at Station Park before falling away in the last ten minutes.

It looks bleak as Bonnyrigg are a match for any side in L2 and (as we discovered in the cup recently) L1. Having seen off a very good EK side on penalties, and provoked one of the most hilarious raging radio meltdowns from John Sheran at Cove, the club certainly knows how to survive these. This will be a much bigger test I fear.

Good luck guys, hope you make it.

Bonnyrigg are of course having to play the HL champions, most folk seem to bypass that one.

How would you compare them to the EK of 17 and Cove of 18.

Both were really good sides and Cove still have some of that squad playing at the top of L1.

EK were probably at their peak back then.

Edited by cowdenbeath

Yep, the HL champions most likely to be Fraserburgh, whom Cowdenbeath have already beaten at Bellslea Park earlier this season. Fraserburgh are a good HL side and have been there or thereabouts for a number of years but unlikely to trouble Bonnyrigg seriously. The reality ios that the HFL weakens year on year just as the Lowland League strengthens with the ex junior big names. It will take an exceptional HFL side now to prevail in the play-offs. Broch are very good, but not exceptional IMO.

If Fraserburgh stumble in the title run-in the beneficiaries will be Buckie who still pretty much don't want promotion; the fans, board and town seem quite happy being stuck in 1957 in perpetuity and are the only side in the regular top 6 who appear at best, sceptical, of promotion. Kelty annihilated Buckie in the cup this year.

It's not true that most of that Cove side are playing at the top of L1- nonsense, in fact. Sheran is now a director and only 2-3 of Saturday's team that beat Montrose were around in their HL championship season.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

46 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Bonnyrigg are of course having to play the HL champions, most folk seem to bypass that one.

How would you compare them to the EK of 17 and Cove of 18.

Both were really good sides and Cove still have some of that squad playing at the top of L1.

EK were probably at their peak back then.

Think if it’s Bonnyrigg that you get in playoffs if it is you guys you’ve just got to go for it with all guns blazing , sitting in and trying to be tight letting them have possession won’t work as they have guys that know where the net is , they are used to winning and are a bang tidy outfit but what I’ve seen of Cowden your more than capable of taking it to them and winning 

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Yep, the HL champions most likely to be Fraserburgh, whom Cowdenbeath have already beaten at Bellslea Park earlier this season. Fraserburgh are a good HL side and have been there or thereabouts for a number of years but unlikely to trouble Bonnyrigg seriously. The reality ios that the HFL weakens year on year just as the Lowland League strengthens with the ex junior big names. It will take an exceptional HFL side now to prevail in the play-offs. Broch are very good, but not exceptional IMO.

If Fraserburgh stumble in the title run-in the beneficiaries will be Buckie who still pretty much don't want promotion; the fans, board and town seem quite happy being stuck in 1957 in perpetuity and are the only side in the regular top 6 who appear at best, sceptical, of promotion. Kelty annihilated Buckie in the cup this year.

It's not true that most of that Cove side are playing at the top of L1- nonsense, in fact. Sheran is now a director and only 2-3 of Saturday's team that beat Montrose were around in their HL championship season.

I knew that Hartley had signed a good few players but I thought there was still more than 3 left from the Highland days.

Aye down to the Broch and Buckie for the HL it has turned into a decent race for the title.

5 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Think if it’s Bonnyrigg that you get in playoffs if it is you guys you’ve just got to go for it with all guns blazing , sitting in and trying to be tight letting them have possession won’t work as they have guys that know where the net is , they are used to winning and are a bang tidy outfit but what I’ve seen of Cowden your more than capable of taking it to them and winning 

I was thinking about it and the last time I seen them was in your last junior game in 2017.

12 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

He didn’t actually say that most of the Cove team were playing in L1 though. He said that some were if you read the post again. Just in the interests of accuracy ;) 

Ive seen Bonnyrigg play and I think people exaggerate how good they are. They are decent but are they better than cowden or albion or stirling or teams we face week in week out NO.

I actually fancy the HL team to beat them over 2 games. Bonnyrigg have experience and winning mentality which is a difficult thing to play against but they have 2 slow centre backs and 2 midfielders one of whom cant press or run.. Their left full back is weak as well. 

They will be decent and cause problems for Cowden should it be us/them however this fear factor of another team from lower divisions we shouldnt have. The one thing I would say is they will be tight games as its unlikely we are ever going to score more than 3 or 4 goals in one game sadly.

Mone the Cowden

8 hours ago, NELLY 1 said:

Ive seen Bonnyrigg play and I think people exaggerate how good they are. They are decent but are they better than cowden or albion or stirling or teams we face week in week out NO.

I actually fancy the HL team to beat them over 2 games. Bonnyrigg have experience and winning mentality which is a difficult thing to play against but they have 2 slow centre backs and 2 midfielders one of whom cant press or run.. Their left full back is weak as well. 

They will be decent and cause problems for Cowden should it be us/them however this fear factor of another team from lower divisions we shouldnt have. The one thing I would say is they will be tight games as its unlikely we are ever going to score more than 3 or 4 goals in one game sadly.

Mone the Cowden

We might go goal crazy, if Ross starts with Ompreon, Liam and Aikamhenze in a front three. Got to be worth a try because everything else produces little or nothing. I would go with an attacking line up.

I also have a feeling that the Highland League team will sneak past Bonnyrigg. Hopefully it is Buckie, as if you believe what some say, they are not keen on getting promoted.

1 hour ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Time to rest anyone we can now for the playoff games I think.

Looks like we are already doing that. I assume that's why Miller and Barr get game time ahead of better players.

We might go goal crazy, if Ross starts with Ompreon, Liam and Aikamhenze in a front three. Got to be worth a try because everything else produces little or nothing. I would go with an attacking line up.
I also have a feeling that the Highland League team will sneak past Bonnyrigg. Hopefully it is Buckie, as if you believe what some say, they are not keen on getting promoted.

Fraserburgh wouldn’t beat Bonnyrigg.

52 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Fraserburgh wouldn’t beat Bonnyrigg.

I would expect Bonnyrigg to beat them, but I just get a feeling that the HL winners might get lucky this time. The Broch haven't won it yet anyway.

59 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Time to practice shooting!

Yeah. Or do something radical, like bring on a striker when we take one off. Better still, take off a midfielder or defensive player and bring on another striker. 

I don't know why we persist with this game management shut up shop crap for the last 15 minutes of every game where we're ahead because we're no good at it. Why not stick to the method that got  us in the lead in the first place. Instead of counter attacking the ball  is simply booted any old place meaning we are under constant pressure. No wonder we lose late goals. Mullen and Swann on the bench and Robbie Buchanan at left back. What's that about.

Well that's another game we fail to keep a lead and another game that demonstrates its a results business with the teams we were once close to well and truly steaming ahead of us that just shows how awful our season has been. 

12 points adrift at the bottom of league 2 is horrific. 

Time for another call to Sir Alex for inspiration it worked in the lead up to EK anyway

Only positive I can take is that's two games without a defeat and players/management continue to be fully committed and trying their hardest. 

We must stay in this league preserving the great history

Let's get Central Park full for another critical playoff game. 

I don't know why we persist with this game management shut up shop crap for the last 15 minutes of every game where we're ahead because we're no good at it. Why not stick to the method that got  us in the lead in the first place. Instead of counter attacking the ball  is simply booted any old place meaning we are under constant pressure. No wonder we lose late goals. Mullen and Swann on the bench and Robbie Buchanan at left back. What's that about.

Not surprised that Harvey isn’t getting a game but Mullen? LB continues to be a disappointment sadly. We have to find a goal scorer or we are done.

8 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Not surprised that Harvey isn’t getting a game but Mullen? LB continues to be a disappointment sadly. We have to find a goal scorer or we are done.

We have bucks everyone wanted bucks in the side he is a natural goalscorer sadly hasn't scored in any of last 4 or 5 games but hard to do so with no chances for him.

Mullen has been superb at left back and has scored 3 or 4 goals and gets in good positions at back post. Gr8 footballer. Good result yday and forfar naturally put us under severe pressure last 20 mins. They are a top 3 side and we more than matched them

Again take positives. Played top 4 or 5 teams and not lost last 2 games and arguably should have won stenny especially.

Players gave their all in a stifling heat and energy was zapped a little last 15. 

11 hours ago, PELE said:

Yeah. Or do something radical, like bring on a striker when we take one off. Better still, take off a midfielder or defensive player and bring on another striker. 

Mate a think u play too much championship manager lol. I understand your logic however some of your teams you pick are akin to champ man stuff. Entitled to your opinion though.

Our team needs to be built around a defensive structure and play from there. That's mainly down to the fact we dont have the players sadly to do what your opinion poses without being exposed and certain players get isolated in areas we really dont want them too. Football at this level is super fine margins and about territory and tactical things more than I thought. More than just play 3 strikers or put a striker on instead of a midfielder. You have to create chances and have ball possession to in turn penetrate the opposition.

We have found a good outlet in sammy and he is so unpredictable in what could be perceived a predictable way of playing so that instelf is a positive.

Keep the faith

Mate a think u play too much championship manager lol. I understand your logic however some of your teams you pick are akin to champ man stuff. Entitled to your opinion though.
Our team needs to be built around a defensive structure and play from there. That's mainly down to the fact we dont have the players sadly to do what your opinion poses without being exposed and certain players get isolated in areas we really dont want them too. Football at this level is super fine margins and about territory and tactical things more than I thought. More than just play 3 strikers or put a striker on instead of a midfielder. You have to create chances and have ball possession to in turn penetrate the opposition.
We have found a good outlet in sammy and he is so unpredictable in what could be perceived a predictable way of playing so that instelf is a positive.
Keep the faith

That goal Sammy scored yesterday was as good as anything I’ve seen for a long time. At times he was causing panic in the Forfar defence, went off the boil last quarter. If he could play like that every week he’d be a match winner.