COWDENBEATH 2021-22

1 hour ago, iateallthepies said:

Can we try starting a game without Robbie Buchanan please? We looked very disjointed yesterday. I think we were trying to play a pressing game up front ,but only the front two were doing it. You could see Liam getting more and more frustrated Stranraer just overpowered us.

FICKLE FOOTBALL FANS…..After every single game, the general opinion is that there’s a different forward that should come in. When will people realise that it’s about the general play of the team and building momentum rather than just hastily and hopelessly clearing long balls away in any direction like a hot potato and expecting forward players to be able to work with that for 90 mins whilst there’s an opposition back 4 facing the game ready to clear nonsense like that up each time. Stop scapegoating individual players. Clearly, after more than enough evidence, it doesn’t matter which forward comes into the team each game. It’s been the same ALL SEASON ! There is a major issue with the way we play football as a whole from back to front, and we constantly just invite pressure from any opponent we play against. 

Unable to sleep, found myself for the last hour or so on the old unofficial websites. I was a fair bit younger at the time but remember getting loads of info from the blue-brazil page and the .net page. We've had some really good players represent us in my time of supporting. Some of those names I'd completely forgotten about and I found myself interested in how a lot of the youth turned out.

A reminder of some of the guys that played for us as well as names on the pages of people who are no longer with us certainly made me reflect a bit of how quickly life does pass by.

Interesting to see some of the interviews particularly from Jim Leishman and Craig Levein on the blue-brazil.co.uk page.

I'm sure there was also a forum on the .net page but I couldn't see a link to it so I suspect it's long gone.

No highlights package, online lottery or online shop back in those simpler days!

Unable to sleep, found myself for the last hour or so on the old unofficial websites. I was a fair bit younger at the time but remember getting loads of info from the blue-brazil page and the .net page. We've had some really good players represent us in my time of supporting. Some of those names I'd completely forgotten about and I found myself interested in how a lot of the youth turned out.
A reminder of some of the guys that played for us as well as names on the pages of people who are no longer with us certainly made me reflect a bit of how quickly life does pass by.
Interesting to see some of the interviews particularly from Jim Leishman and Craig Levein on the blue-brazil.co.uk page.
I'm sure there was also a forum on the .net page but I couldn't see a link to it so I suspect it's long gone.
No highlights package, online lottery or online shop back in those simpler days!

You aren’t the only one having sleepless nights.
If the worst happens, the players will go elsewhere but the fans will still be there, hopefully.
We had/have a decent squad and really should be doing much better but I cannot remember Cowden having so many poor performances.
I will be there tomorrow and Saturday but each defeat makes it more difficult to be motivated to spend five hours driving to games which are so disappointing.

If the worst happens, the players will go elsewhere but the fans will still be there, hopefully.
We had/have a decent squad and really should be doing much better but I cannot remember Cowden having so many poor performances.
I will be there tomorrow and Saturday but each defeat makes it more difficult to be motivated to spend five hours driving to games which are so disappointing.

Kudos to you mate. Travelling a distance to watch us underperforming must be a difficult gig. I live relatively nearby but I just watch the stream. At least I can just turn my iPad in a different direction when things aren’t going well. Which has been often this season. Our circumstances determine where we are at the moment. We start the season at quite a disadvantage where we pay owners rent. Most clubs don’t have this. Then when you add in the local population who really don’t care if they have a SPFL team or not then you have our situation. Over the last few seasons we have survived two extremely close play offs and escaped finishing bottom the other two seasons due to other clubs having a meltdown. I can only imagine the difficulty in balancing the books at Central Park so there is no way I can criticise the people running the club. In fact it’s the opposite. We keep going and see where it gets us.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I honestly never thought we had a decent squad going into the season. 

We finished 41st last season ahead of the worst team in Brechin’s history.

The then manager did very little to the side. Liam was a good signing as was Gill.

Tomo  although a controversial one has been alright and is a grafter.

Wasn’t sure about Bobby Barr  but he improved as the campaign went on.

The rest we’re just young boys who looked like they owere there just to fill the bench.

Overall the squad was too small and almost the same X1 every week which opposition players and managers quickly sussed out.

A mate of mine reckoned in August we would be in a relegation battle with the squad we had and sadly he was proved right.

Edited by cowdenbeath

16 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

13 games? WTF did he to do?

INCIDENT OF MISCONDUCT 
Maurice Ross, Coach, Formerly of Notts County FC

Altrincham FC vs Notts County FC 
Saturday 1st May 2021 
Vanarama National League

Breach of FA Rule E3 – In respect of two comments before and during the above National League fixture on Saturday 1st May 2021. It is further alleged that both breaches of Rule E3(1) are an “Aggravated Breach”, as defined in Rule E3(2), as the language included a reference to, whether express or implied, Nationality and/or Ethnicity and/or Race.

The Participant has until 7 July 2021 to provide a response. 

Result 
13 Match Suspension 
£750 fine 
Face to Face Education Course. 

8 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Admiral dedication of your commitment.

Hopefully tomorrow night the players put in a 100% shift to ensure victory to lay what could be a critical foundation to build on if we are to have any chance of avoiding the playoffs.

On 13/03/2022 at 13:11, cowdenbeath said:

Like you Coo Ii've been watching us for a similar time it's really heartbreaking have we have gone downhill since the Championship days.

That was a golden and unexpected period which was never going to last longtime but after it you would have hoped we would have consolidated in L1.

As you mention we rarely look a goal threat. I have seen some poor sides over the last near 50 years but one thing we always had was someone who could score goals no matter bad a team and position was, the last two seasons has been the opposite of that.

Yeah. Where are Kenny Ward and Colin McGlashan these days? Older than me, but they would probably still score.

1 minute ago, PELE said:

Yeah. Where are Kenny Ward and Colin McGlashan these days? Older than me, but they would probably still score.

Older than me as well😀

Thats what’s so annoying just can’t find players like that now.

Wardy from Oakley, Dibble from the Pars although John Clark tried to sign him when he was at Dundee.

We must have had a good scouting system back then I recall it was John Murray who later ended up at Hearts who was our main scout.

What sort of scouting system do we have these days I imagine there are still gems to be found in the non leagues.

17 hours ago, CowdenLoyal said:

I dreamt that we beat Forfar 3-0, with the goals coming from Liam, an own goal and either Swann or Barrowman. The only snag is, the formation was 5-4-1 with Thomson as the one upfront and he is injured now I believe.

7 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I honestly never thought we had a decent squad going into the season. 

We finished 41st last season ahead of the worst team in Brechin’s history.

The then manager did very little to the side. Liam was a good signing as was Gill.

Tomo  although a controversial one has been alright and is a grafter.

Wasn’t sure about Bobby Barr  but he improved as the campaign went on.

The rest we’re just young boys who looked like they owere there just to fill the bench.

Overall the squad was too small and almost the same X1 every week which opposition players and managers quickly sussed out.

A mate of mine reckoned in August we would be in a relegation battle with the squad we had and sadly he was proved right.

Our team was poor at the start of the season and goalscoring was always a worry. However, I think our current team is better than the teams we had when we were in the play offs the previous two occasions. I remember clearly worrying who was going to score for us in them, but we kept it tight in the away games and battled hard in the home game versus East Kilbride before winning on penalties and Harvey came to the rescue in the Cove game.

Get Harvey in a more attacking role!

5 minutes ago, PELE said:

Our team was poor at the start of the season and goalscoring was always a worry. However, I think our current team is better than the teams we had when we were in the play offs the previous two occasions. I remember clearly worrying who was going to score for us in them, but we kept it tight in the away games and battled hard in the home game versus East Kilbride before winning on penalties and Harvey came to the rescue in the Cove game.

Get Harvey in a more attacking role!

We now need to get a settled side, not going to happen tomorrow nor mind you if we have injured players.

Crikey this sounds very much like us last year. The day we went down I was numb and worried.

We kicked out the committee, got a new one, had a successful share issue, new manager, new squad (again) but will have resigned at least ten for next year and won more games in one season than we had in the previous 4 combined!

We are doing ok and expect us to return to SPFL in the next couple of years (if not sooner). And have a renewed interest in the cub and its links with the community.

The point being sometimes you have to find your rock bottom before making some big changes.

All the best.

I am very sad to read these recent comments.  I was born in Cowdenbeath 1957, and I was a ballboy in the early 70's.  I also was tannoy announcer at a number of matches in the mid 70's at Central Park, including the infamous League Cup game v Raith in 1974 which was abandoned at Half time due to floodlight failure, much to the chagrin of Kirkcaldy fans.  My earliest match that I can remember as a wee boy was at home to East Fife mid 60's.  I remember with relish the 1970 game v Falkirk at Central Park in front of 10,000 fans on a Tuesday night against the eventual Division 2 champs Falkirk, which included Sir Alex Ferguson in their ranks.  I can still recite from fresh memory the regular Cowden team of that golden time:  Wylie, McLaughlan and Jack, Taylor Kinnell & Moore, Sugden Dickson Mullen Bostock and Ross.  I joined the Armed Forces in 1975, so have only had rare visits to Cowdenbeath since.  I have supported Aldershot as a season ticket holder since 1988, now living in Farnborough, Hampshire.  I will attend the play-off second leg at Central Park, as I have done the others.  Cowden really now need to prepare for that tie, probably v Bonnyrigg Rose, as I think the club will die on relegation.  Very sad times.  Good luck to old school buddy David Allan.

Edited by Stenhouse