COWDENBEATH 2021-22

Took this in yesterday and thought Cowdenbeath were marginally the better side. Overall it wasn't a particularly memorable game other than for one of the worst penalties I've seen at senior level. Binnie in the Rovers goal saved smartly low down to his left but he was given every chance to do so. Terrible.

Think Rovers also lucked out with the late disallowed goal, which appeared to be given by the referee initially. Felt the officials were very, very poor for both sides wioth the terracing side linesman being unfit, slow and unable to keep up with play at times, missing a couple of close offsides.

Not a lot between the sides. Rovers played better in the first half down the road at Kelty last week and got done 6-1. They do have a good, fighting spirit though and that helped them yesterday, they could even have nicked it at the end, unjustly. As for Cowden, if Maurice Ross can bring in the right forwards (that's the big problem for Cowden) I think they could improve quickly from Janaury onwards. They are certainly trying to play the game the right way, within their obvious limitations.

We are definitely playing better under Ross than we were latterly under Bollan, but as we know from bitter experience once you're down there it's so difficult to get  out of  it. A missed penalty and a goal chalked off for not very much are just typical of what happened before. Makes Wednesday's game even more important Nothing else to do except keep the faith and get right behind the team.

37 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Took this in yesterday and thought Cowdenbeath were marginally the better side. Overall it wasn't a particularly memorable game other than for one of the worst penalties I've seen at senior level. Binnie in the Rovers goal saved smartly low down to his left but he was given every chance to do so. Terrible.

Think Rovers also lucked out with the late disallowed goal, which appeared to be given by the referee initially. Felt the officials were very, very poor for both sides wioth the terracing side linesman being unfit, slow and unable to keep up with play at times, missing a couple of close offsides.

Not a lot between the sides. Rovers played better in the first half down the road at Kelty last week and got done 6-1. They do have a good, fighting spirit though and that helped them yesterday, they could even have nicked it at the end, unjustly. As for Cowden, if Maurice Ross can bring in the right forwards (that's the big problem for Cowden) I think they could improve quickly from Janaury onwards. They are certainly trying to play the game the right way, within their obvious limitations.

If what folk who have seen the video say it was a terrible decision regarding the goal.

Penalty was almost as bad as big Faye’s in the Scottish Cup tie for the Strollers.

I would have seen you if you bought a programme.

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I wasn’t at the game but Rovers fans who were there said that justice was done as the penalty award was the worst one they’ve seen this season. 

There was another big penalty shout in the first half in the opposite box which looked a penalty to me. The view isn't great at Central Park so wasn't able to see the award that was given, very clearly. However as said the officials were very very poor for both sides. Wasn't as though it was even a bad tempered or difficult game to referee...both sides wanted to get on with it.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

If what folk who have seen the video say it was a terrible decision regarding the goal.

Penalty was almost as bad as big Faye’s in the Scottish Cup tie for the Strollers.

I would have seen you if you bought a programme.

I got out of the habit of buying programmes, picked up a half time though (nae luck for me as usual :D )

Pen Shouts.

1. Looked it. The defender hasn’t done much, but Robbie was clever in getting in front, and then across him to the point where the defender had no option but to come through the back of him.

2. Pen actually given. I was surprised, looked to be hammered at him from pretty close. No idea where it actually hit but even if it hit the hand it was harsh.

3. Barge right through Todd. Stonewaller. Shocker it wasn’t given.

All the above are subject to change when I see the highlights 🤣.

I’ve seen the footage of the disallowed goal. Shocking decision. There isn’t even a hint of movement towards the keeper, just stands dead still and nods it in as the keeper tries to punch/flap over him.

52 minutes ago, StevieLes II said:

Pen Shouts.

1. Looked it. The defender hasn’t done much, but Robbie was clever in getting in front, and then across him to the point where the defender had no option but to come through the back of him.

2. Pen actually given. I was surprised, looked to be hammered at him from pretty close. No idea where it actually hit but even if it hit the hand it was harsh.

3. Barge right through Todd. Stonewaller. Shocker it wasn’t given.

All the above are subject to change when I see the highlights 🤣.

I’ve seen the footage of the disallowed goal. Shocking decision. There isn’t even a hint of movement towards the keeper, just stands dead still and nods it in as the keeper tries to punch/flap over him.

Goalie made an arse of it and fell down.

Been interesting reading the debates on this thread over recent months. . Some people said that we had a good squad and that Bollan wasn’t getting the best out of them, while some  others said that we had a poor squad and that we were where we should be in the league due to this and that another manager couldn’t improve things with these players. Like most arguments there were some valid points on both sides.
Early days yet but with the group of players he currently has at his disposal, Ross has started to turn things around, make us competitive and look better organised and motivated. We have also started to pick up points which seemed a distant memory. 

I’m heartened to hear that some new players may be added in the transfer window and finding the funds for this will no doubt be extremely challenging for those dedicated enough to run the football club. All credit to them. COVID may yet again put a spanner in the works though. So hopefully we get a chance to see that things continue to change for the better. 

Edited by Only coo in the village

Still spewing about not winning that game on Saturday but there are encouraging signs. Anyone who listened to Maurices interview after the game can see what he is trying to achieve and structure the team. 2 or 3 more players in a couple of weeks time will do the squad a big boost. 

Its still a tough ask to not finish bottom as its difficult to go on and win 3 or 4 in a row in this league which is what we kinda need to do.

In our 3 home games since Mo took over we have lost only one goal and that was Kelty game where we looked comfy enough and just an error of judgement cost us getting that point. Massive game Wednesday and clearly we want the 3 points however if Elgin were to lose Tuesday even 1 point is a step in right direction in closing gaps. There is still 57 points up for grabs between now and finish of season. 

Lets hope Covid doesnt stop things soon...

Looks like Quinn Coulson has been making good progress since Ross came in.  Good to see him get Motm Saturday.

Definitely deserves credit. He wasn’t getting used enough. Young players need games to improve. That’s why Rovers allowed him to go. Great to see him getting better with game time.

21 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Definitely deserves credit. He wasn’t getting used enough. Young players need games to improve. That’s why Rovers allowed him to go. Great to see him getting better with game time.

Heres hoping Mahady gets some minutes as well.  They seem to be in good hands though.

2 hours ago, Vodka Vic said:

Looks like we got out of jail with the disallowed goal but justice was done on that penalty- an absolute joke of a decision. Going by Maurice Ross’s post match interview he can talk a good game tbf.

I've never understood this justice was done..  we missed the penalty so that's irrelevant really.. 

It's a disgraceful decision in the last minute and for not giving another pen to cowdenbeath a few minutes after the 1st..

Well that was a hard watch against a not great Edinburgh side. Although we looked comfortable for much of the game, we have zero physical presence in the midfield and up front. The one moment of quality resulted in a goal, at last, for Bucks. I just hope the gaffer is able to bring in the players he needs to turn this side around.

Edited by ronaldincoo