COWDENBEATH 2021-22

5 hours ago, Only coo in the village said:

We definitely look extremely like this years Brechin, saving other failing clubs from relegation. I don’t imagine that there will be any money  left to bring in new players in the next transfer window after punting Bollan. He obviously realised that the Rovers loan players were a big mistake and we need to get rid. 
The new manager has time to prove he can turn things around. If Stenny can turn the corner then anything is possible. My feeling is that teams such as ourselves will ultimately end up in the Lowland League. Given the lack of interest in the local community in our team it’s an achievement to have stayed up thus far. We now have teams with money rich backers against us and that is now the key difference. 
Cowden have been part of my DNA and that won’t change. 

Cowden have a long history of ups and downs since Mrs Pollock went to Glasgow and purchased the football 140 years ago. In my own long lifetime, I,  as well as members of my family have been fervent and active supporters. I have been lucky enough to participate in recent glory years (a large photograph of Mixu and I holding the Helicopter Dreams trophy adorns my bedroom wall).  Rise and fall - I have witnessed the Blue Brazil in the Championship as well as in the League 2 relegation play offs.

Gary Bollan kept us up  and came tantalisingly close to a play off spot until Covid.  His departure  now was inevitable.  Donald Findlay and the Board have made clear their intention not only to survive but to progress  by appointing such senior and experienced coaches as Maurice Ross and Scott Paterson. There are reasons for optimism, so keep the faith Coo!!!

I think you're being a bit harsh there on some of our players.  Our issue is our midfield which has far too many similar players in the centre and then no attacking threat on the wings.   I'd say Craig Thomson would get a game for most teams, Craig Barr as well. Liam Buchanan was banging in goals in the League Cup and early league matches.  Gavin Morrison is key for us and would get a game elsewhere easily.
The problem we have is that we have continued to resign players who do nothing for the majority of the season.  Kyle Miller has been here a decade but I can't remember the last time he really got involved with a match.  Robbie Buchanan everybody here knows my feelings about.  Stunned to read somebody on here say he could play at a higher level - he's awful. 
Bollan did a great job of attracting decent players to the club but it was never to actually improve on the weak parts of the team.  Craig Thomson signs when we have Mullen.  Hutton signs when we have Morrison.  Clarke signs when we have Swann.  The glaring lack of attention on the attacking side of midfield is going to cost us greatly.
We are also missing Renton big style and he might not be back anytime soon.  

Mullen has been poor this season and not in the same class as Thompson. As for Harvey, there is a player in there but not a full back. Clarke had been player of the year for another team when he signed. The loan players aren’t anywhere near good enough as are some others.
It really isn’t looking good. Without Renton will we win another game?

19 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Mullen has been poor this season and not in the same class as Thompson. As for Harvey, there is a player in there but not a full back. Clarke had been player of the year for another team when he signed. The loan players aren’t anywhere near good enough as are some others.
It really isn’t looking good. Without Renton will we win another game?

The Stenny fans were equally gloomy not too long ago but the team is now comfortably mid table. The Townies actually won their first game last week.

We can.:bounce3:bounce3:bounce3

59 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

The Stenny fans were equally gloomy not too long ago but the team is now comfortably mid table. The Townies actually won their first game last week.

We can.:bounce3:bounce3:bounce3

Stenny have a decent  size squad so the manager can change thing.

We on the other hand don’t and the sides virtually picks itself.

And while Dunfermline won their first game on Saturday they still had more points than us.

Edited by cowdenbeath

1 minute ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I dread to think what the crowd will be at our next home game!

The fact it is Stirling Albion it won’t be too bad as they have the best away support in the division normally (Although Kelty brought a good number as it was on their doorstep).

A bit surprised the two Rovers lads have struggled for game time as much as they have.  Coulson has always looked good when hes played in a Rovers jersey, Mahady is a bit younger and more raw but hes highly regarded as a good prospect.  Noticed Ross in his post match interview thinks highly of Coulson as well.  Just got to hope with the new management and better coaching they can kick on and have an impact for you guys.

25 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

A bit surprised the two Rovers lads have struggled for game time as much as they have.  Coulson has always looked good when hes played in a Rovers jersey, Mahady is a bit younger and more raw but hes highly regarded as a good prospect.  Noticed Ross in his post match interview thinks highly of Coulson as well.  Just got to hope with the new management and better coaching they can kick on and have an impact for you guys.

Coulson will 100% play more in my opinion. Mahady perhaps not. I thought Coulson did well Saturday taking the ball in tight areas and being a driving force for us albeit needs to still do more. He has talent and perhaps with more coaching with Mo and Scott he will flourish.

2 hours ago, Rover1990 said:

Clubs always talk up their young players.

Out of the two at present Coulston looks the better out of the two.

Their only signed until January so who knows what will happen.

Maybe Rovers would have been better loaning them out to Lowland or EOS sides where they would have got more game time.

Edited by cowdenbeath

Maybe Rovers would have been better loaning them out to Lowland or EOS sides where they would have got more game time.

Problem is they might well improve but can we afford to wait for that?

50 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Your correct that clubs talk up their prospects but they have looked like the part on the limited viewings while at Raith.  Could be they need time with Ross who might actually have a plan to use them to their strengths unlike Bollan.

I understand peoples frustrations and pessimism currently however I put this to you all. The change has been made e.g new coach/manager he has had maybe 3 or 4 training sessions its nothing really. We had a good performance against kelty and didnt get the point we deserved. He has the players he has at his disposal until January.

I think we need to really try stop negativity and push towards some positivity really negative comments/shouts are pointless at this stage. All I have seen from Maurice is positive comments and working with what he has and trying to improve. 2 tough games we have had and a further one this saturday. A big December coming up with 3 out 4 at home. Have faith and get behind the players.

I genuinely believe 1 win can kickstart things. We lack goals that much is evident and im sure coaching team is working hard in their 2 sessions a week to remedy this.

If we can be within 5-6 points of 2nd bottom come January then still a LOT of games still to go we are a 3rd through the season with plenty points to play for. Confidence within the players will be low but im seeing lads who are trying and with a little bit of luck can grab that win soon.

I do feel however our fitness levels is not quite what it should be and I go back to the fact our squad is really only the same 12-13 players every week - our overall squad situation is not strong enough and we need more competition in key areas and I think this would be addressed come January. MAMMOTH few games coming up and positive vibes only is what is required.

Mone the Cowden

6 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Your correct that clubs talk up their prospects but they have looked like the part on the limited viewings while at Raith.  Could be they need time with Ross who might actually have a plan to use them to their strengths unlike Bollan.

Maurice will improve them as players purely by coaching standards. He is a top coach that is for sure. Its a plus point for me when trying to attract players to the club to say loan your players to us as we believe we have one of the best coaches around to develop them. His background is developing players at u20s level.

Maurice will improve them as players purely by coaching standards. He is a top coach that is for sure. Its a plus point for me when trying to attract players to the club to say loan your players to us as we believe we have one of the best coaches around to develop them. His background is developing players at u20s level.

It's definitely helped us having mcglynn for that very reason. It's also helped us bring in the likes of coulson who I think is a dunfermline fan but turned them down to sign for us from Fife elite.

2 hours ago, grumswall said:
4 hours ago, NELLY 1 said:

It's definitely helped us having mcglynn for that very reason. It's also helped us bring in the likes of coulson who I think is a dunfermline fan but turned them down to sign for us from Fife elite.

They should get more of a chance under Ross after hadly getting a look in under the previous manager. Our squads that thin and with Renton injured.

I don't know why the former manager signed them and then never gave them much of a chance same with the boy Collins.