COWDENBEATH 2021-22

12 minutes ago, silkybeath said:

🤣

Fact...

They remain the only club to have competed in the professional leagues since the 20th century but never to have won a league title. 

Least successful of the Falkirk area sides even the Shire had a couple of stints in the top flight.

Big game (always is let's be honest) Saturday. We got our only victory of the season against elgin and I'm hopeful that ross can get a positive result. 

Renton I think is out which is a blow.u see how bad we miss him when he ain't there. I fancy coulson to get a start instead of mahady. Same set up system wise I reckon also.

Big game (always is let's be honest) Saturday. We got our only victory of the season against elgin and I'm hopeful that ross can get a positive result. 
Renton I think is out which is a blow.u see how bad we miss him when he ain't there. I fancy coulson to get a start instead of mahady. Same set up system wise I reckon also.

Can’t see us getting anything if Renton is out.

Maybe I've been kidding myself about the quality in this current squad. The spine of the team, Gill, Barr, Hutton, Bucks seems to be there. What I've not understood is how we have continually re-signed players, i.e. Mullen, Buchanan, Miller etc who have been a consistent in sides struggling at the bottom end of the league for the last  few years.  

11 hours ago, ronaldincoo said:

Maybe I've been kidding myself about the quality in this current squad. The spine of the team, Gill, Barr, Hutton, Bucks seems to be there. What I've not understood is how we have continually re-signed players, i.e. Mullen, Buchanan, Miller etc who have been a consistent in sides struggling at the bottom end of the league for the last  few years.  

A lot of folk have been kidding themselves on that one.

2 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Kelty Hearts av. age 26.9
Cowden av. age 27.6

Not that much difference.

It's not about the average age. At League 2 level especially there will be a few 'good' players with the highest wages, a bunch of reasonable first 11 players and some squad fillers. It's easy to see names like Craig Barr, Bobby Barr, Liam Buchanan etc and assume and expect them to be the top end League 1/Championship level players they once were, thus over rating your overall squad's ability when in fact these players are past their best. Throw in Renton who used to be a 1 in 3, bit of a nuisance target man who now scores once in a blue moon. 

I think Cowden fans are remembering what these players were like at the peak of their abilities.

You look at that Cowdenbeath squad on Saturday and it's just absolutely dreadful. You can go into the mechanics of ages and whatever else you want but the  bottom line is that the quality is non existent.

Who are other clubs in this division picking from that squad to improve their team? I'd take maybe Gill, Renton and Swann as squad competition (not starters) but outwith that you're going nowhere near the rest. The majority would not be playing league football if they were not at Cowdenbeath.

Bollan will ultimately get the blame for that but when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys and that's a real troop that has been assembled. Ross will have good contacts in the top flight though for quality youngsters and I would expect the quality of squad to improve in January (it can't really get much worse) but it may be too late to make the desired impact.

We definitely look extremely like this years Brechin, saving other failing clubs from relegation. I don’t imagine that there will be any money  left to bring in new players in the next transfer window after punting Bollan. He obviously realised that the Rovers loan players were a big mistake and we need to get rid. 
The new manager has time to prove he can turn things around. If Stenny can turn the corner then anything is possible. My feeling is that teams such as ourselves will ultimately end up in the Lowland League. Given the lack of interest in the local community in our team it’s an achievement to have stayed up thus far. We now have teams with money rich backers against us and that is now the key difference. 
Cowden have been part of my DNA and that won’t change. 

Edited by Only coo in the village

10 hours ago, Neilly said:

Who are other clubs in this division picking from that squad to improve their team? I'd take maybe Gill, Renton and Swann as squad competition (not starters) but outwith that you're going nowhere near the rest. The majority would not be playing league football if they were not at Cowdenbeath.

I think you're being a bit harsh there on some of our players.  Our issue is our midfield which has far too many similar players in the centre and then no attacking threat on the wings.   I'd say Craig Thomson would get a game for most teams, Craig Barr as well. Liam Buchanan was banging in goals in the League Cup and early league matches.  Gavin Morrison is key for us and would get a game elsewhere easily.

The problem we have is that we have continued to resign players who do nothing for the majority of the season.  Kyle Miller has been here a decade but I can't remember the last time he really got involved with a match.  Robbie Buchanan everybody here knows my feelings about.  Stunned to read somebody on here say he could play at a higher level - he's awful. 

Bollan did a great job of attracting decent players to the club but it was never to actually improve on the weak parts of the team.  Craig Thomson signs when we have Mullen.  Hutton signs when we have Morrison.  Clarke signs when we have Swann.  The glaring lack of attention on the attacking side of midfield is going to cost us greatly.

We are also missing Renton big style and he might not be back anytime soon.