COWDENBEATH 2021-22

38 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Got you. I thought I saw that Coulson looked decent playing, but I guess I misread the reviews. Mahady seems consigned to the last 5-10 minutes.

Coulson has had some decent spells in the team but he did go missing in the games he started.

Mahady is very raw and not likely to start ahead of Buchanan or Renton.

My thoughts are this currently. We played poorly Saturday especially the first half but grew into the game. Anyone could see the shape of the team wasnt working that first half and they created 3 very good opportunities down our left side. Bollan didnt change system when I personally thought it was needed to go to a back 4 and to be fair 2nd half we came out and did well however when we were on top in the game having our best spell by MILES Bollan made a sub and changed the system to a back 4........ wow. We were on top in the game and having our best spell as soon as we went to a back 4 we lost rythm a bit and eventually lost to a real crappy goal. Kyle Hutton is experienced and all he has to do is stay on his feet and match the run and wait for covering defenders.. 

These are tight games we are losing we are not being battered but the tight games are due to defensive lapses or real concentration issues.

Again the team is working hard and no evidence that they dont want to play for the manager.

My thought process on Bollan is we shouldnt get rid as to be honest there is no point in reality. We couldnt pay him off - a new manager still has to work with these players and there wouldnt be a massive overhaul required (we are not a club who can do an overhaul anyhow as that costs money)

What we need is to turn these tight games into draws and wins. A bit of luck or a fully focused team for 90 mins. Bollan perhaps being that little more adventurous in his tactics through out the game.

For the rovers lads I understand peoples point however they are not good enough to start games it really is that simple. We badly need a centre mid to help out the 2 kyles as they tire quite significantly during last periods of games. Special mention to Mullen and thomson who on saturday worked well together and done a power of work.

Although im not overly happy with the thomson signing I will discuss his football only and for me he has been our POTY or at least in the top 3 alongside bucks/robbie buchanan. Thomson brings a calmness to the backline and a football intelligence football wise good signing.

The one dissapointment for me is that on Saturday we brought on Bobby barr instead of a harvey swan.If you want to win games Harvey swann is the player who can play that final cross or that jinky run that tiny piece of extra quality that you need in tight games Bobby Barr doesnt. If we were 1 up Bobby Barr would be my player to bring on as he is defensively better and more rounded team player.

Anyhow onto next game and heres hoping we can sneak a win we aint far away and it would worry me more if we didnt create chances or the team were not working hard enough - we are so stay positive and get behind the lads saturday. If we lose then its a real difficulty getting out of this rut and thats where Bollan needs to step up.

Gave Saturday a miss at my age and with my health life is too short.

If we did come to the time when a change had to be made it would have to be done.

Yes money’s tight but it would be even tighter in the Lowland League.

Hopefully we can turn a corner on Saturday, Forfar are as bad as us trying to hold onto a lead.

We got done for pace against Albion rovers . In the first half. Todd has a lot of good things about him as a defender but he looked really slow and all over the place at times . We could have won our last 4 games in league but we cannot take our chances . Felt we were the better side in 2nd half . Still don’t think Renton is fit enough to play 90 minutes . Liam Buchanan still very good and does the right things in games . Mullen also played quite well at the weekend . We need some more quality in the middle of the park . Mahady looked a bit nervous on the ball at weekend . Dont think the manager is giving him and Coulson any favours confidence wise . Bringing them in and leaving them on bench but this is what the manger does . It’s not a squad game with him . It’s stubborn selections and never makes the right subs . I think the game against Forfar is a must win even at this early stage in season . Got Stirling away and Edinburgh away soon . No idea where the points are coming from . if we don’t get our act together 

Edited by SuperCowden

With 9 subs to choose from and 5 to put on the pitch its a squad game these days.

Bollan is not adapting to that like other teams are. Our centre midfield is woeful, Both Hutton and Miller are all over the place. We don’t seem to have ready replacements so a change in tactics is needed to address.

If we don’t start winning games soon then it’s time for a change, the Club can’t sleepwalk its way into LL.

I actually think our recruitment has been good in the regards to addressing the key areas we lacked in previous years e.g mainstay goalkeeper and a penalty box striker who can link play also e.g bucks. Where bollan has fallen way short is his signings in terms of squad depth. He has signed JAMES COLLINS/QUINN COULSON/BOBBY BARR all of whom play left side and we already have Harvey Swann and Ross Clarke and in 3 or 4 games this season actually plays Craig thomson there.

Its puts the onus on lads like Robbie Buchanan/Kyle Miller and Kyle Hutton to play week in week out and when their form dips they dont come out the team. He should have identified a central midfielder once Morrisson was out.

Mahady is not a striker who can start ahead of bucks/Renton so for now giving him 15 mins is the right thing. However heaven help us if Liam Buchanan gets injured!!

Saturday is a massive game to stop the rot so to speak and a win of any kind is vital to ensuring confidence comes back in the team as once you lose 5 or 6 on the spin its really really difficult to get out of that with same personnel.. Think we have lost 4 now in a row so massive Saturday.

The left sided signings were a very strange decision and even more baffling following some exciting performances from Harvey towards the end of last season. He is clearly not rated and is being ruined.

I can understand why some people feel that Bollan should continue in the job but although I hope he proves me wrong, I believe a change is required. The squad are more than capable of achieving more. If money is the reason, why was a new contract offered?  Would Craig Easton, a really good guy, make better decisions?

If things continue as they are, I will continue to support the team and management in the hope of a decent season but have concerns.

I don’t get the point about how a new manager, if one were appointed, couldn’t turn things around with the same group of players. It’s been done time and again at every level of football in the world. Managers often run their course and run out of ideas on how to get the best out of the players they have at their disposal. New tactics, fresh ideas and different approaches can often galvanise a team and get them performing much more effectively. Like myself a number of other posters appear to be perplexed about how our current squad seem to be underperforming. It’s not just about players putting effort in, it’s also about tactics, game management while leading and an ability to change things when it just isn’t working. 

4 minutes ago, mr_malcolm said:

He’s a stick on to score on Saturday now I’ve posted that

He very rarely finds himself in positions to score. A lot of his work is defensive (bollans way of playing wide players really)

p.s nelly 1 new account old nelly account is deed.