League Cup Group H: Saints, Pars, Thistle, Stenny, Dumbarton

Lex

Looking at that midfield and the complete lack of squad depth gave me the fear so glad we scored 4 goals away from home, not sure if that says more of Grant getting it out of his ramshackle starting 11 or if its a weak Partick team who also have a number of injuries and hopeful of bringing in fresh talent.

Hope we get the 5/6 signed up before we next play in Maryhill.

16 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Foster might struggle this season if he's getting beat by Edwards like that for the 3rd goal.

Yeah, he looked well off the pace yesterday, and particularly for that goal. That said, it’s inexcusable that Sneddon didn’t just dive on that weak cross to claim it as it trundled past him.

Some of that defending, fucking hell. I imagine there will be lots of goals in Jags games this season. And probably in Pars games as well, as you’re strong going forward, but not so much at the back (although still miles better than us).

I dont know if I'd read much into it tbh. Both teams definitely still short (Thistle at the back, us in midfield). The teams will likely look different in when we play in August.

image.png.d177a71dfb8a2d6c1bb6f5dae5bc6ad7.png

You can criticise our defending but at least the guy these four players were marking never scored

image.png.e2d0871de652aa8eddda61091a3a9fad.png

and just LOL. Not expecting Serie A in the 80s level of defensive line but there's about 8 yards between Foster and Holt.

Wasn't there but just watched the Jagzone highlights, makes it look like a bit of a robbery with the only chances for Dunfermline being shown the 4 goals and a counter attack at 4-2 that Sneddon saved with his feet. I'm sure the game itself was more even that that. We did create a few chances on top of the goals (although Dunfermline created a couple for us with the keeper passing it out from the back) which at least is encouraging if we ignore the clown show at the other end of the pitch.

Anyway, now that we've lost I can pivot to "the league cup is glorified pre season". It is genuinely too early though, every team is still 3 or 4 players short.

Edited by Fuctifano

Dumbarton have 4 positive with Covid and another 4 out injured, leaving us with 10 fit players at the moment. We're apparently trying to cobble a team together for tomorrow night but I have my doubts that we'll be successful. I'd also rather we weren't just throwing deals around for players we have no intention of using after this group stage is out the way. We're essentially out before we've kicked a ball so just write this tournament off and concentrate on getting everyone sound for the league. 

Jim Goodwin impressed me with his signings last season this season signings look good also. We have a good squad of 25 players all potential first team players. Another one or two pacy wingers will come in according to Goodwin. Not seen us play yet two friendly's brought a total of six goals from our strikers against Lingfield and Ayr.  You would like to think Saints experience will see a Saints win. But this is our first competitive game so I'm not writing off Dunfermline.  

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Dumbarton have 4 positive with Covid and another 4 out injured, leaving us with 10 fit players at the moment. We're apparently trying to cobble a team together for tomorrow night but I have my doubts that we'll be successful. I'd also rather we weren't just throwing deals around for players we have no intention of using after this group stage is out the way. We're essentially out before we've kicked a ball so just write this tournament off and concentrate on getting everyone sound for the league. 

To update this, we've signed a left back today, so I assume we have 11 players. I am unsure if our two goalkeepers are part of the 8 out, but we might be able to field a team of sorts tomorrow. 

Based on absolutely nothing, I think St Mirren will give us a hiding tomorrow night. 
I also think we may be on the end of a bit of a doing. Almost a free hit in a way though, should have enough to beat Dumbarton and Stenhousemuir at home and hopefully 9 points is enough to take us through as one of the better runners up.

15 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
On 12/07/2021 at 10:15, Stellaboz said:
Based on absolutely nothing, I think St Mirren will give us a hiding tomorrow night. 

I also think we may be on the end of a bit of a doing. Almost a free hit in a way though, should have enough to beat Dumbarton and Stenhousemuir at home and hopefully 9 points is enough to take us through as one of the better runners up.

We are usually pretty terrible in the league cup groups tbf, especially the pre season ones. We look a bit better prepared this time than usual, but I can't remember us ever beating the championship team (while we've been premiership) comfortably at this stage. In fact I'm struggling to remember us beating the championship team at all.

Just watched those highlights from the weekend's game there and reminded me of our fans complete meltdown when we didn't sign O'Ware a few seasons ago.

10 minutes ago, GAD said:

We are usually pretty terrible in the league cup groups tbf, especially the pre season ones. We look a bit better prepared this time than usual, but I can't remember us ever beating the championship team (while we've been premiership) comfortably at this stage. In fact I'm struggling to remember us beating the championship team at all.

Just watched those highlights from the weekend's game there and reminded me of our fans complete meltdown when we didn't sign O'Ware a few seasons ago.

We haven't. The only Championship teams we've played as a Premiership side have been Dunfermline (2-3), QotS (2-2) and Morton (1-1).