League Cup 21/22 - Group F

So - our derby game on Wednesday. I'm sadly old enough to have been about at the tail end of the former rivalry in the late 80's and early 90's when Airdrie were an enjoyably detestable team and I can remember the joys of old Broomfield very well (I have a weirdly vivid memory of the last time we played there having 3 pished guys standing behind us singing "6 seats in your stand tra-la-la-la-la" to the tune of BoneyM for most of the game :lol:) - but I don't know what to think of it these days.

Traditionally, we had no rivalry with Accies to speak of but the fact that we've shared a league for a lot of time this century (and the fact that they have regularly embarrassed us and been a fucking nightmare opponent) means that things have changed quite a bit. As far as Airdrie goes, the complete lack of games (save for a couple of cup games in Airdrie years apart) means that there isn't the same feeling now - especially as a decent chunk of our support that will be there on Wednesday wouldn't have been born when the rivalry was last a thing - and even Albion Rovers have beaten us since Airdrie last managed it.

So basically, what's required this week is a shame game - 3 red cards, 20 man rammies, at least 2 pitch invasions and Motherwell to run a series of shitposting tweets in the run up to the game highlighting events that have happened "since Airdrie died"  - to spice things up again. 

Edited by Swello

On 16/07/2021 at 22:08, Spanish Armada said:

That's a bit stupid that?Only a set amount a fans allowed in,surely the remaining QP or airdrie fans would want to watch it,Shambles from QP

It seems a ridiculous decision. 

Incidentally, QP sent an email to all its members last week about renewing for the season with the following justification for hiking up the cost of overseas members

"Overseas Membership will be £300 and offer TV subscription to all home league and cup games"

We had two folk doing commentary on our highlights, rambling on as if they actually were talking to a live audience and not just each other. I thought it was a bit pointless but maybe it was live to those overseas. But why limit it to them? Who knows, just another mystery in a long line of them 

18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure what relevance this pointless deflection has to you comparing a player who couldn't get a regular game for Falkirk or Partick Thistle to Danny McGrain?

Of course McGrain was also predominantly a right back for Celtic but comfortable on both flanks, especially the times he switched to left back for Scotland to accommodate Sandy Jardine. Can't see Robson being comfortable if he ever got switched. We'd have to be really desperate to play him at right back.

I'll give BYOS the benefit of the doubt that he means Robson does a similar tireless role up and down his wing 

25 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

It seems a ridiculous decision. 

Incidentally, QP sent an email to all its members last week about renewing for the season with the following justification for hiking up the cost of overseas members

"Overseas Membership will be £300 and offer TV subscription to all home league and cup games"

We had two folk doing commentary on our highlights, rambling on as if they actually were talking to a live audience and not just each other. I thought it was a bit pointless but maybe it was live to those overseas. But why limit it to them? Who knows, just another mystery in a long line of them 

As someone else said, QP are changing streaming systems. Seems likely they're using the cup games to test it out and make sure everything works ok.

18 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Extremely tinpot that QP didn’t have a stream to watch on Saturday. Sounds like they done us a favour in the end though as by all accounts we were poor again!

Really can’t see us doing anything against Motherwell on Wednesday.

Here’s the highlights from the game we didn’t stream despite having cameras and a media team on hand. It was a lot more exciting in real time…

On 18/07/2021 at 17:56, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure what relevance this pointless deflection has to you comparing a player who couldn't get a regular game for Falkirk or Partick Thistle to Danny McGrain?

If you can only measure comments through the very narrow prism of being literal then your life must be very narrow. Check out what context means. Though you might not have time for learning given you spend so much of your life barging into other people’s conversations. Do you behave like that in real life? Or is this your life? 

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

If you can only measure comments through the very narrow prism of being literal then your life must be very narrow. Check out what context means. Though you might not have time for learning given you spend so much of your life barging into other people’s conversations. Do you behave like that in real life? Or is this your life? 

Dear oh dear. Debatable if that lash out is more embarrassing for you than the original comparison. Or the daft "look at you" first deflection. You're having a complete 'mare here to be honest.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Just watched the stream provided by Annan …commentators were fine but to charge £10 is rubbish…if after all this time they can’t have figured out how to show the far side of the pitch close enough to see what is happening then they should not bother.
It's pixellot.

17 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

You made a ridiculous comparison and have now had a wee strop because someone made fun of you for it. Don’t be so childish.

The only thing Danny McGrain and Tommy Robson have in common is that they are both human beings who live on Earth.

10 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

You made a ridiculous comparison and have now had a wee strop because someone made fun of you for it. Don’t be so childish.

The only thing Danny McGrain and Tommy Robson have in common is that they are both human beings who live on Earth.

Like your friend from Dumfries, read the words. I said he “reminded” me of Danny McGrain. In the sense that he pushes up the wing, tireless worker, creates space for midfielders and has a rasping shot from distance. Your friend interpreted that as being of the same quality or experience. Neither of you have watched Tommy Robson playing over a season like I have. I seriously doubt you’ve seen McGrain live either.

I thought it was a given that when people compare lower league players to previous/current greats it's not in a literal sense but with a tinge of remembrance. I can't believe that's had to be explained over a few posts. Davie Anderson could drop the shoulder better than Messi.  Relax. 

7 hours ago, QPSpider1867 said:

. Davie Anderson could drop the shoulder better than Messi.  Relax. 

Messi used to have the QP games recorded and flown out to him each week to see what he could pick up from Wee Davie. Those were the days before QPTV, of course.