League Cup 21/22 - Group F

4 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

well im at the game so the only delay is typing after celebrating or booing.

You must be a fast typist then cos you had typed about the third goal just as it went in on my screen. 

Thank goodness the stream has dropped again. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

7 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

You must be a fast typist then cos you had typed about the third goal just as it went in on my screen. 

Thank goodness the stream has dropped again. 

Tbf it's was just "it's a 3rd" not that gard to type

3 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Tbf it's was just "it's a 3rd" not that gard to type

"Hard" is apparently hard to type though. 

On the game,  a deserved home win,  we never got started in the second half.  Dealing with crosses into the box looks like being our downfall again.  

Think folk need to be realistic here. Still plenty of bodies to come in and our makeshift defence was always going to be under severe pressure. Going forward we’re going to be ok, think we need some height in at the back. 

Mixed  bag there.

KvV looked good and did everything but score.

We looked really soft in midfield and lacked a physical presence. Gave QotS players too much time  and space in the first half. and not a great last couple of minutes either. Criminal to allow a free man at the back post again, lucky kelly could make the save.

Like Woolery when he cmae on. Was direct and put himslef about. Really nice feet to work space for his goal.

Just now, Dougie Mills said:

I  would’ve happier without the commentary!  

I thought the commentator was OK,  always difficult when you're doing it solo I would think.  Apart from a couple of "technical difficulties" it was fine.  Only real gripes,  showing replays when the action is still in progress in the goalmouths and the unfortunate shadow cast by the stand (which I realise can't be avoided.)

Another penalty decider and we win this one. QP were probably better on the eye but if you can't score then you don't win. Mind you we got a softish penalty and passed it back to former Diamond superstar Willie Muir by former QP super star Salim AK. All still much of an early season feel but plaudits to the players for playing in that heat!  Glad to be at first away game for so long. Which Motherwell team will turn up on Wednesday? The real derby is back!

Was at the game today so didn’t get to watch the stream, though not surprised to hear of technical difficulties. Curious, was it Jock Brown on commentary today, a combination of Jock and Lewis or different?

Really looking forward to playing Airdrie on Wednesday and even better to be one of the 700 Motherwell in attendance. We’re not the best at defending and it seems they’re not the best at scoring, could be a funny old game...

Edited by ZX1886

Similar to Wednesday for us in some ways. Tidy play, a decent number of attempts and almost shot ourselves in the foot, which we did against Motherwell. I fear that losing the bonus point may come back and haunt us. Win the shootout and a winning at Annan would have given us a reasonable chance of progressing.

Muir did his bit in both the ninety minutes and shootout with the penalties. It doesn’t even come as a surprise now. Such a good keeper. Brown superb again, Murray doing effective at everything except taking his chances, Robson and Doyle with decent shifts as well.

Conceded one goal in three games. Just need to make it count at the other end. Quitongo and Longridge will hopefully help that. Still think we need one more forward who will stretch the play. If we lose Murray to injury, there’s nobody that can really step into that role. A lot to be encouraged about and some areas to be improved upon.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

. I fear that losing the bonus point may come back and haunt us. Win the shootout and a winning at Annan would have given us a reasonable chance of progressing.

Unlikely that winning today's shoot out would have been enough, only two teams have qualified from second place with eight points since the competition was reorganised, and none with seven points which is the best we can do now.

How neither team scored today is beyond me. Murray is a terrific player and causes so many problems for defenders by my goodness he does miss a lot of chances. He just needs to calm down when it’s just him and the goal cause he does all the hard work. Salim’s performance solidified my reasoning for not re signing him again. He looked unfit, slow and his all round play is lacking. 

Liam Brown will be a superstar in league 1 if he continues playing in this manner. Looked head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch yet again and if we’re to have any success this season, a lot will be dependant on his performances. 

I’m extremely pleased with the style of football implemented by Ellis. It’s night and day from Mckinnon’s cautious and somewhat boring approach. Once Quitongo and Longridge return to the side, I really do think we’ll be a force this season. I’m feeling very optimistic  

2 hours ago, JT1867 said:

Unlikely that winning today's shoot out would have been enough, only two teams have qualified from second place with eight points since the competition was reorganised, and none with seven points which is the best we can do now.

And those were in years when 4 runners up got through. This year only 3 do. Its very unlikely 8 points will get any runner up through this year.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Seven points - if we get there - might scrape second for the group which is admirable but never enough for the next round, which wasn’t even imagined before the tournament started so maybe Tuesday can be used for mixing this lovely blend of football we’ve got with a more controlled shooting practise. Two or three goals would be a better prize at the moment. 

It was one of those days yesterday when you felt If we got one then more would follow but a mix of frustration, some poor choices and spectacular goalkeeping denied us a fair result. Airdrie too had decent chances with an early gift from Morrison to his old team mate squandered, a good strike chalked off for a tight offside decision and another gift from Morrison - only he would know why - for a penalty, saved with style by Wullie. Second half it was all us but as often happens, forcing ten men behind the ball makes life difficult. And the players obvious frustration carried into the penalty shoot-out.

One other significant thing that could have helped yesterday was substitutions. Despite having names on the list and an unhealthy heat, the game was too tight to introduce rookies with only McHugh getting involved. Had there been the comfort of a two goal lead I’m sure that would have been different and maybe some of the youngsters will get a run at Annan. No question that as our sick list shortens sub rotation will be put to good use. 

Plenty of good individual performances, especially Murray, Brown, Doyle and Muir. Two standouts for me though were Tommy Robson, reminding me more and more of Danny McGrain, and Grant Gillespie. The epitome of a box-to-box midfielder with great energy, strong tackling, accurate passing, uses his body really well to deflect opponents, good shooting skill and tremendous vision for opening up the game. He’s our game changer at the moment and with Brown in front of him that could be formidable over the season.

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks