Dominic Cummings - can open, worms f*cking everywhere.

Just now, Stormzy said:

Tbh I've had this conversation before on here but I've always viewed her role as being a mouthpiece for the government through the BBC rather than some objective journalist in the first place, more of a reporter than a journalist. 

Which would be fine (sort of) if she wasn't described and considered as a journalist by everyone else, and vociferously defended against accusations of doing what you describe. 

4 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Fully expect Laura K to begin tweeting about herself in the third person to explain why there's nothing to see here.

"Laura, do you think you have a case to answer?"

"Absolutely not, Laura."

"Thanks, Laura. Back to you in the studio."

6 minutes ago, Pato said:

To a supporter of the lobby journalism system, this is evidence of someone cultivating the necessary relationships to contextualise information and package that up in a way that's valuable to a public consumer of news.

To a critic, it's client journalism. By that I mean the off the record titbits are gratefully received and passed on without any of the normal journalistic checks like verification, believability based on source etc., because the source is to valuable to the career of the journalist, so keeping the source happy comes first, reporting in the public interest comes second. And because we  the public consumers of news ostensibly don't know who the source is we can't make those judgements independently.

Do you think there should be any lobby journalism? 

I fully get if you cba but can you think or provide any examples where she has wrongly reported something as fact that has clearly been done to appease the client rather than merely reporting their stance? 

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Which would be fine (sort of) if she wasn't described and considered as a journalist by everyone else, and vociferously defended against accusations of doing what you describe. 

Has she not presumably done journalism before the role as a BBC political correspondent? 

I'd imagine she would argue that she's done journalistic work even if you were to discount the BBC reporting. She seemed to be all over the Brexit debate doing podcasts and such which I'd imagine had more integrity than her reporting what Cummings has told her to say. 

Cummings planning a coup to get  rid of Bozo, Wanksock and Patel and get Gove, Sunak and Rabb running the show. 
Yeah, this is my view as well. The end game is Gove in number 10 and Cummings working for him, and this debacle is the journey to that point.

Haven't been able to see much of this during the day, but I was surprised to hear him say something about not wanting to shut down the North of Scotland. That would surely have been nothing to do with BoJo's govt.

Has he mentioned Nicola or Scotland in his haverings about BoJo not being a fit and proper person to be in charge of all this?

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

You've not convinced me that it is a general view of the Scots that we are too wee and stupid.

Well, here's a wee one See the source image and here's a stupid one See the source image I rest my case.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

"A source close to Number 10 says Laura should be left alone"

"Sources close to Kuenssberg confirm the journalist was only meeting off the books to test her hearing and insist no rules broken"

The evidence Cummings gave this morning should have every member of the UK public utterly astonished at the incompetence of this Govt., but the worrying thing is absolutely nobody is surprised. To have an advisor to the Prime Minister, who by all accounts had a very hands on role during the pandemic, coming out with the sort of stuff he has today would see multiple heads rolling in a normal and functional Govt. The official enquiry is going to be mayhem, and Boris and Co might find it hard to rewrite history if they have people like Dominic Cummings willing to testify against them. 

Someone said earlier Hancock will end up being the sacrificial lamb for this, but I really don’t think he will. We’ve seen multiple examples of this Govt. try to bat off serious misdemeanours where ministers should have either resigned or been sacked and every one of them is still in a job. Similar to how Trump played it when he or his friends faced pressure to resign; never admit guilt, smear the character of anyone making the allegations, stonewall any difficult questions and wait until the public have forgotten about it. That being said, I would love to see Hancock get his comeuppance for his role in this omnishambles, preferably in a prison cell. 

6 hours ago, GAD said:

To think some of the folk getting savaged here actually had to go on TV with a straight face to say that driving 30 miles with a kid in the car to test your eyesight was a perfectly acceptable and normal thing to do in order to keep Cummings in a job. Fucking mugs.

Grant Shapps looked decidedly uncomfortable on TV this morning when he was reminded of that episode. If I remember rightly he was the minister that was fronting the Covid briefing the night that story broke, and had to back Cummings up to the hilt. I hope he, along with Hancock, Raab, Sunak et al, realise how stupid they looked defending Cummings’ actions whilst at the same time destroying public faith in the lockdown regulations, that will have undoubtedly resulted in people dying that didn’t need to.