Next to go?

22 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The more I think about this, the more I'm realising if that was the make-up of the LL, I'd actually be a little bit jealous of the clubs that were there. For away days it would shit all over a potential League One of Alloa, Airdrie, Cove, Falkirk, Peterhead, Dumbarton, Clyde, Edinburgh City, Stirling Albion and East Fife.

We absolutely need to get automatic promotion for the LL/HL champions though (once the colts are flushed away). As fun as all this looks for a few seasons, clubs in there need a real shot at getting into the SPFL and the champions effectively earning a 25% chance of promotion just isn't good enough.

I take it QP are in the Championship by this time? 😉

2 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I take it QP are in the Championship by this time? 😉

You would absolutely be on the list of shitty away days if you were still at Hampden or ground sharing at Falkirk or somewhere. I'm reserving judgement until I see what you do with Lesser. Do a  decent job and stick some terracing in there and you'll elevate yourselves to 'good away day'.

Edited by Gordon EF

Interesting discussion, its clear that some things need to change with the pyramid system, both in terms of how it operates and how its percieved. A lot of people see it as a black hole, and at the moment i can understand that outlook. Theres been a siesmic shift in football below League Two level in particular the lowland region, and the pieces are still falling into place. The LLs original incarnation was essentially a south of scotland premier league full of teams a level above St Cuthberts, plus a couple of University teams and familiar names like Whitehill Welfare and Spartans among others. 

Dalbeatie Star, Vale of Leithen, Gala, Threave, Selkirk, Gretna, Preston, Stirling and Edinburgh Uni, Edinburgh City, Spartans, Whitehill and East Kilbride was the inaugural line up. In a short space of time, the Lowland League has come on leaps and bounds through a mix of promotiom from EOS and relegation from League Two, and if we're not at the point where theres parity of esteem with the Highland League they arent far off it. Two things need to happen, the structures below the lowland league need to become established with real opportunities for the best teams to progress, and the lowland league needs to quickly reflect the reality of non league football and that process needs to be accelerated. Once people can look at the lowland league and say with certainty that its a fair, competitive league featuring the best clubs, i dont expect therell be much difference between League Two and the Lowland league in terms of finance and prestige. We cant wait years for this to happen though, and the debacle with the B Teams wont help. Theyd be as well ripping the whole thing up and starting from scratch if theyre putting sporting merit aside. If Celtic and Rangers B teams can be invited, why cant Linlithgow and Talbot. Both clubs would bring far more to the league than the Old Firm B teams, and there are many others beside them. 

Edited by KH4

Nominations are not accepted. Predictions are allowed.
Unfortunate [emoji25]
You can't be very old or must have a really bad memory.
Not sure what makes you think that?

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

You would absolutely be on the list of shitty away days if you were still at Hampden or ground sharing at Falkirk or somewhere. I'm reserving judgement until I see what you do with Lesser. Do a  decent job and stick some terracing in there and you'll elevate yourselves to 'good away day'.

Despite repeated requests from fans/members for a section to be standing only, the design team, presumably under instruction from our Directors, decided to have the kiddy-on seats along the back two rows of the home stand. So we can stand, but just not as a singing section.  So shitty it is then.

That said, the contractor left the job in January and the silence from the club is deafening. Maybe we won’t have enough cash left for seats.

3 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Despite repeated requests from fans/members for a section to be standing only, the design team, presumably under instruction from our Directors, decided to have the kiddy-on seats along the back two rows of the home stand. So we can stand, but just not as a singing section.  So shitty it is then.

That said, the contractor left the job in January and the silence from the club is deafening. Maybe we won’t have enough cash left for seats.

I'm genuinely annoyed on Queen's fans behalf that your board seem to want to build a shitty all-seater ground. We've had 20/30 years since smaller clubs started replacing their old grounds with lego-brick new builds and generally fans seem to  hate them. It would be such a wasted opportunity to build a cracking little ground with a modern, comfortable seating area and a standing area if Lesser is just turned into New Bayview/Forthbank/The Rock mark 2.

If East Fife were building a new ground today, I'd be raging if it was all-seater. For a club that talks about growing it's fan base, not to capitalise on the opportunity to attract fans who want to stand on terracing and create a bit of an atmosphere seems completely short-sighted.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm genuinely annoyed on Queen's fans behalf that your board seem to want to build a shitty all-seater ground. We've had 20/30 years since smaller clubs started replacing their old grounds with lego-brick new builds and generally fans seem to  hate them. It would be such a wasted opportunity to build a cracking little ground with a modern, comfortable seating area and a standing area if Lesser is just turned into New Bayview/Forthbank/The Rock mark 2.

If East Fife were building a new ground today, I'd be raging if it was all-seater. For a club that talks about growing it's fan base, not to capitalise on the opportunity to attract fans who want to stand on terracing and create a bit of an atmosphere seems completely short-sighted.

Can’t argue with any of that. However, It’s a moot point at the moment given the collapse of the construction contract. In footballing terms, we seemed to have taken a penalty kick against a blind, one-legged keeper and somehow smashed it off the crossbar all the way back into our own goal. But hey, maybe there’s a cunning plan we just don’t know about yet. 

It would be such a wasted opportunity to build a cracking little ground with a modern, comfortable seating area and a standing area if Lesser is just turned into New Bayview/Forthbank/The Rock mark 2.

Surely you’ve not just mentioned Forthbank alongside Bayview and The Rock to back up your argument here Gordon?

Forthbank is a cracking lower league stadium that many Away teams enjoy visiting over the years and one that very few people complain about.

6 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Surely you’ve not just mentioned Forthbank alongside Bayview and The Rock to back up your argument here Gordon?

Forthbank is a cracking lower league stadium that many Away teams enjoy visiting over the years and one that very few people complain about.

Yes, I have. I'd include TFS, Broadwood and the Penny Cars in that as well but I'm assuming they're on a different scale to what QP are thinking of. Visiting all of them are pretty soulless experiences compared to grounds like Gayfield. Personally, I don't much care whether I have zero, one, two, or three empty or partially filled stands to look at when I'm there. Appreciate others might feel different.

I don't think I've been in one smaller Scottish football ground (<5k capacity) built in my lifetime that I actually liked.

Edited by Gordon EF

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

Unfortunate emoji25.pngNot sure what makes you think that?

You’ve either forgotten or can’t remember when things weren’t going so well for Montrose. It’s always going to be a struggle for the wee teams. One bad season and you could end up in the mire.

The drop off from SPFL2 to LL/HL is massive financially.

You lose your place in the league cup which is worth a minimum of £20k then the SPFL prize money which is a minimum of £45k. Add in reduced crowds and what you can charge at the gate.

Every relegation results in lower prize money etc but this is the only one were it stops altogether.

Would just jump in here and say Forthbank is a cracking wee ground, especially for a 'modern' stadium. I fully concede however that my judgement will be clouded by us winning a second did title there and being on the terraces to enjoy it. From memory Stirling were relegated that day also?

6 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It's literally one level down from where you were the season previous.  Folk on here and in the media are reacting as if Brechin have been relegated to the Saturday fucking Welfare League.  See off Brora and you're 2 ties away from being in League Two again.

We were talking about the downside and realised that we will no longer be able to check how the team are doing on live score / sky  results etc should we not be at any of the games.  Little or no media coverage either although I have seen the Aberdeen Evening express and the P&J have decent reports at times. 

Just one aspect of disappointment but I'm sure some of the days/weekends away might make up for that.

3 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Absolute nonsense because the good parts of the ground are almost never open. 

I don't subscribe to the theory that relegation isn't so bad that you have the chance to get back up. There are another 25 at least Kelty Hearts out there with people keen to back them. Shire and Berwick are off the radar now and the LL still has a right stack of well run clubs chapping at their door. One of the reasons I voted in favour of QP going pro was that I saw a grim future if we went down.

7 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Stay in the house, ya miserable cant!!!

My understanding is that QP were told that a new build in the SPFL had to be all seater. They did have plans with standing at either end of the stand opposite the social club and argued for this. I don't know what the final decision was.

At least Lesser will be in a built up area with good transport links rather than in a retail park or at the end of nowhere.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I don't subscribe to the theory that relegation isn't so bad that you have the chance to get back up. There are another 25 at least Kelty Hearts out there with people keen to back them. Shire and Berwick are off the radar now and the LL still has a right stack of well run clubs chapping at their door. One of the reasons I voted in favour of QP going pro was that I saw a grim future if we went down.

I don't think Queens Park need to worry about this decade but fair play to you for noticing the sharks circling below the SPFL water line. 

I've been a regular at mostly Junior games for decades.

I always said if there was a pyramid then certain League clubs would be in danger. That has now came to pass. I do smile at those who think the LL is a far as you can drop. Have these guys not noticed the WoSFL/EoSFL. My standing joke is Rutherglen Glencairn v Clyde in a league game. Some people seem to think I,m talking SPFL2 or LL. When i really mean in the WoSFL.

You’ve either forgotten or can’t remember when things weren’t going so well for Montrose. It’s always going to be a struggle for the wee teams. One bad season and you could end up in the mire.
I remember quite well (well apart from most of the day after our play off final second leg because I got suitably smashed).

That doesn't change the fact that I think Cowdenbeath will be the next to drop out.

38 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

I don't think Queens Park need to worry about this decade but fair play to you for noticing the sharks circling below the SPFL water line. 

I've been a regular at mostly Junior games for decades.

I always said if there was a pyramid then certain League clubs would be in danger. That has now came to pass. I do smile at those who think the LL is a far as you can drop. Have these guys not noticed the WoSFL/EoSFL. My standing joke is Rutherglen Glencairn v Clyde in a league game. Some people seem to think I,m talking SPFL2 or LL. When i really mean in the WoSFL.

I'm sure we'll see an ex-SPFL club at tier 6 at some point in the future. Doubt it'll be Clyde but you never know. Wouldn't put it past Shire or Berwick within the next decade.

Edited by Gordon EF