Next to go?

On 08/06/2022 at 21:58, Stevo Fife said:

Had you witnessed what I had witnessed in the second leg at Cowdenbeath, we could maybe share each others pain. It was pub league footie with two really poor teams. Bonnyrigg had a cracking support to be fair.

The thread title is "next to go" and in my opinion, Bonnyrigg will finish bottom

Of course, I could be completely wrong in under a years time, in which case I'll eat my right arm.

You could be right. They seem to be in free fall at the moment. 

• 4 months later...
41 minutes ago, Clayhole Blue said:

Major game at Cliftonhill on Saturday - if Rovers win it begins to look odds-on that Bonnyrigg will be Club 42 this season.

Suspect this year there’s a good chance that Club 42 will win the play-off though.

Having seen Albion Rovers both against Stranraer and as a neutral I think they are far too good a side to be ninth, let alone tenth. But I guess a danger for them is that Bonnyrigg will out-muscle them on Saturday. Bonnyrigg are the poorest side I’ve seen football-wise this season, but are very physical. But all may not be lost for Rovers if they lose on Saturday. Elgin are slowly falling down the table.

Having also seen Spartans recently don’t disagree that whoever finishes bottom could beat them in a playoff. We may have another Highland team in the SPFL next season. If it’s Buckie clubs will relish having to travel twice to there Elgin and Peterhead. 

Said it before the season kicked off, but I'll never understand why Bonnyrigg made the decision to re-sign every player for this season. We saw it with Edinburgh City, in their first season up, the jump is a big one and I think that was' a decision that has cost them. 

9 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Said it before the season kicked off, but I'll never understand why Bonnyrigg made the decision to re-sign every player for this season. We saw it with Edinburgh City, in their first season up, the jump is a big one and I think that was' a decision that has cost them. 

Possibly a bit like Greig McDonald being too nice a guy to dump players who got us promoted to league one, but weren't good enough to survive in it?

I think Bonnyrigg have been a breath of fresh air in league 2 and finishing bottom doesn't make it a certainty they'll go down. All power to them.

Edited by WC Boggs
Typo

Hope Bonnyrigg stay up. Brilliant crowds for League 2. Would imagine they'd get a lot more through the gate if they had a winning team on the park. I can understand Horn keeping majority of his squad but he should have known the standard required - especially as he was manager of a failing Berwick Rangers side at this level. 

On 22/03/2023 at 14:14, BB_Bino said:

Displayed admirable loyalty to a squad that had got him a couple of promotions, rather than an arrogance about the standards of non-league football, though truth to tell there’s a lot of that about in the pyramid. Think their first few results didn’t help, but they did wake up to comparative fitness levels.

Suspect that if they go down they will come back in due course. They are a big enough club from a decently-sized catchment area. And a year or two back in the Lowland League would give them time to bring their facilities up to SPFL standard. 

Edited by EdinburghBlue

I have edited the initial analysis to add the highest/lowest/average points totals for teams finishing bottom in the four league structure, and also the margins by which they finished bottom. On a PPG basis it's possible and maybe likely that the team finishing bottom this year could be the best performing side since this league was established in 1994.

13 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I have edited the initial analysis to add the highest/lowest/average points totals for teams finishing bottom in the four league structure, and also the margins by which they finished bottom. On a PPG basis it's possible and maybe likely that the team finishing bottom this year could be the best performing side since this league was established in 1994.

Are you sure about that? As I have watched some wretched Montrose teams in League Two since those days? 😄

ETA-Sorry, you said best performing, which clearly that wouldn't have been us!

Edited by VillaKnollBoy

• 2 weeks later...

Massive game on Saturday between Albion Rovers and Elgin. Going by recent form I would fancy Bonnyrigg to grind out enough points to stay up. 

Rovers lose on Saturday and it might be a tough ask to make up a potential 4-7 point gap with only 4 fixtures left. 

On 04/04/2023 at 19:24, Connor7 said:

Massive game on Saturday between Albion Rovers and Elgin. Going by recent form I would fancy Bonnyrigg to grind out enough points to stay up. 

Rovers lose on Saturday and it might be a tough ask to make up a potential 4-7 point gap with only 4 fixtures left. 

If Rovers lose it will be a 6 point gap with 4 games left - think they would struggle to pull that back. But it’s going to take an improvement in Elgin’s form for them to beat Rovers.

I hope Albion get the win this week, be a shame to see them having to be in the play-off!  

Not that it'd really matter as Albion or Elgin are both good enough to batter Spartans or Buckie anyway.

Imagine Buckie in Coatbridge!  That's something for the young team to look forward to!

On 06/04/2023 at 23:52, Leewood said:

Imagine Buckie in Coatbridge!  That's something for the young team to look forward to!

For the fact of Buckie, or its a team in green and white hoops haha

We played them in the Scottish cup a couple years ago at Cliftonhill, they ran out comfortable 3-0 winners

Throughout this whole saga only two club's supporters haven't had a public meltdown  at being bottom or near  bottom. The only ones who haven't taken it for granted that finishing bottom only had one outcome, going down.  Rovers and Rose.  May both survive, because their fans deserve it. Nobody is guaranteed to go down.