Next to go?

48 minutes ago, AberhillEnd said:

Can you tell us who the quality players are ? I know of Currie from his Berwick days but the rest ?

Dean Brett. I would say there are very few others with much quality but they’ve a lot of experience, e.g. Kerr Young, Dean Hoskins and Neil Martiniuk. Michael Andrews is the regular keeper and not Mark Weir whom the Broch/Cowden fans were slagging off as fat, although most of them admitted he was decent. Also top scorer McGachie missed both Cowden games. I said a couple of years ago that he wouldn’t get goals in the SPFL but I’ve been surprised at his improvement.

50 minutes ago, Marten said:

You saw a team defending a 3-0 first leg win. They wouldn't do any crazy things as conceding early could risk it. In such a situation you never see the best of the team as it will all be about staying calm and not getting yourselves into trouble.

From what I've seen of them this season (3 games total), I think they will be absolutely fine over the course of a whole season. They've got enough quality to get enough results not to get in trouble. And if they just get 2 or 3 experienced players in, they should be a good side for this league.

That game was eye bleeding but you are spot on. Think I saw them 9 times this season and their biggest problem is probably an ageing team who are not as strong as previous seasons when they saw off a few SPFL and HL sides at NDP very comfortably. I would have faith in Robbie Horn to replace stalwarts like Johnny Stewart and Alan Horne, alongside youngsters like Brad Barrett. They always had a habit of wearing down teams at home where they are very strong and I think they will get enough points at NDP to keep them up. Over 300 STs sold already.

Edited by The Mantis

Guest AberhillEnd
31 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Dean Brett. I would say there are very few others with much quality but they’ve a lot of experience, e.g. Kerr Young, Dean Hoskins and Neil Martiniuk. Michael Andrews is the regular keeper and not Mark Weir whom the Broch/Cowden fans were slagging off as fat, although most of them admitted he was decent. Also top scorer McGachie missed both Cowden games. I said a couple of years ago that he wouldn’t get goals in the SPFL but I’ve been surprised at his improvement.

That game was eye bleeding but you are spot on. Think I saw them 9 times this season and their biggest problem is probably an ageing team who are not as strong as previous seasons when they saw off a few SPFL and HL sides at NDP very comfortably. I would have faith in Robbie Horn to replace stalwarts like Johnny Stewart and Alan Horne, alongside youngsters like Brad Barrett. They always had a habit of wearing down teams at home where they are very strong and I think they will get enough points at NDP to keep them up. Over 300 STs sold already.

We had Michael Andrews and Johnny Stewart at Bayview. Keepers tend to get better as they age, Jonny Stewart wasn't up to the job though.

On 18/05/2022 at 15:34, Cold Feet said:

There are many variables in success or arse falling out of everything.

As I stated earlier we had a poor committee who oversaw a shit show and resulted in us being in the HL. Much has changed in the last year on / off the pitch and hopefully we will be back soon. Those out with Brechin will struggle to see the change but much has happened

As for a level I think we were a solid enough L1 side with flirtations with Championship and L2 - occasionally up / occasionally down. 

We should be a warning to everyone, sitting in Tanadice for a League game to being in Keith on a wet and bloody cold night under the worst floodlight system known to man. 

I agree that there was a need for change and the present committee are doing a very good job and the share issue was badly overdue .I do however, take exception over your comments about having a" poor committee who didn't want new blood". This is factually incorrect.

You are aware that any season ticket holder could apply to join the Management Committee . In reality however,  very few people put their names forward for consideration as they didn't want to (or didn't have the time) to spend countless amounts of hours each month trying to keep the club afloat and competitive.

Many of the people that left last year oversaw a number of promotions and one in particular,  donated a huge sum of money over a 10 year period so that we could pay our wage bill every week despite having crowds of below 400. We regularly punched above our weight for years.

A couple of bad manager appointments (Barry Smith stands out) sealed our fate but you are being disingenuous to people who oversaw much success over a 20/30 year period which is very unfair.  

21 hours ago, Kev8122 said:

I agree that there was a need for change and the present committee are doing a very good job and the share issue was badly overdue .I do however, take exception over your comments about having a" poor committee who didn't want new blood". This is factually incorrect.

You are aware that any season ticket holder could apply to join the Management Committee . In reality however,  very few people put their names forward for consideration as they didn't want to (or didn't have the time) to spend countless amounts of hours each month trying to keep the club afloat and competitive.

Many of the people that left last year oversaw a number of promotions and one in particular,  donated a huge sum of money over a 10 year period so that we could pay our wage bill every week despite having crowds of below 400. We regularly punched above our weight for years.

A couple of bad manager appointments (Barry Smith stands out) sealed our fate but you are being disingenuous to people who oversaw much success over a 20/30 year period which is very unfair.  

Not at all I had defended the committee on a thankless task. I had stated elsewhere that the committee had indeed overseen many promotions. Being on a committee is hard work and time consuming. 

However many folk had gone on and off pretty quickly due to its inner workings. If nobody wanted to do it how come when the old one left a new one was created? Sometimes committees have a shelf live and regardless of previous successes it comes to and end and ours had. I have no personal beef with any of them but sometimes a change is needed to move forward.

• 2 months later...

Wee update on early season fortunes among 'the Ghosts of Christmas Past':

After the opening 5 or 6 league games Berwick are 11th in Lowland... East Stirlingshire are 16th with 0 wins but 3 draws... Cowdenbeath are 18th, having drawn at home v Dalbeattie and away to Hearts B, plus lost at home v Gala and OG Broomhill plus away to Celtic B and Rangers B. (Blue Brazil have now gone 15 games in all competitions without a win stretching back to April, and have not actually won at home for over 6 months).

Today was the first cups weekend of the season. 'Shire managed to score twice in the last 20min to defeat Kirkcaldy & Dysart... Cowdenbeath crashed 2-0 at home v Cumbernauld Colts before crowd of 114... Berwick lost 2-1 at Stoneyburn (don't adjust your set: lost 2-1 at Stoneyburn).

'Shire did manage to beat St Mirren B on penalties away in Trust Trophy earlier this month to set-up a mouthwatering tie at Kilmarnock B.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls"...

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, Chris_the_rover said:
2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:
Brechin are doing nae bad though. HL the way to go maybe.

Is the lowland league a stronger league?

Certainly will  be once the decent ex. Junior teams get in.

There is a more limited sparse population up north.

In the same token I think the South league should be incorporated in to the West league - none of the South teams could compete with West Premier,probably no even with West 1 or 2 or 3.

On 21/08/2022 at 01:17, the philosopher said:

Certainly will  be once the decent ex. Junior teams get in.

There is a more limited sparse population up north.

In the same token I think the South league should be incorporated in to the West league - none of the South teams could compete with West Premier,probably no even with West 1 or 2 or 3.

Proof is Bonnyton Thistle.

Never knew why they were parachuted into the top Wosfl league from the SoSfl.

Came bottom of the Wosfl Premier league with 3 wins out of 38 games.

Now bottom of the First Division and looking to go down again.

Based in Kilmarnock with zero support.

On 21/08/2022 at 07:14, Shawheadrover said:

The problem with the Lowland League is the introduction of 'B' teams. This makes it a 'non league' in every sense of the word. Worthless with Rangers/Celtic etc., etc.

That’s an interesting take, I’m surprised it’s not been debated on here before now.

Proof is Bonnyton Thistle.
Never knew why they were parachuted into the top Wosfl league from the SoSfl.
Came bottom of the Wosfl Premier league with 3 wins out of 38 games.
Now bottom of the First Division and looking to go down again.
Based in Kilmarnock with zero support.
When the lowland league was set up, bonnyton were already playing at that level of football,

The difference with Threeve Rovers is the league had already started up so they went to the bottom

On 30/08/2022 at 11:04, Chris_the_rover said:

When the lowland league was set up, bonnyton were already playing at that level of football,

The difference with Threeve Rovers is the league had already started up so they went to the bottom

Guessing you meant when the Wosfl was set up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/08/2022 at 20:50, HibeeJibee said:

Wee update on early season fortunes among 'the Ghosts of Christmas Past':

After the opening 5 or 6 league games Berwick are 11th in Lowland... East Stirlingshire are 16th with 0 wins but 3 draws... Cowdenbeath are 18th, having drawn at home v Dalbeattie and away to Hearts B, plus lost at home v Gala and OG Broomhill plus away to Celtic B and Rangers B. (Blue Brazil have now gone 15 games in all competitions without a win stretching back to April, and have not actually won at home for over 6 months).

Today was the first cups weekend of the season. 'Shire managed to score twice in the last 20min to defeat Kirkcaldy & Dysart... Cowdenbeath crashed 2-0 at home v Cumbernauld Colts before crowd of 114... Berwick lost 2-1 at Stoneyburn (don't adjust your set: lost 2-1 at Stoneyburn).

'Shire did manage to beat St Mirren B on penalties away in Trust Trophy earlier this month to set-up a mouthwatering tie at Kilmarnock B.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls"...

Well with 5 weeks having passed Berwick drop to 12th and 'Shire to 18th while Cowdenbeath 'rally' to 15th.

All exited Scottish Cup in R1.

On 24/09/2022 at 20:06, HibeeJibee said:

Well with 5 weeks having passed Berwick drop to 12th and 'Shire to 18th while Cowdenbeath 'rally' to 15th.

All exited Scottish Cup in R1.

It sounds very much like those three clubs have found their natural level.

I'd expect the likes of Stenhousemuir and Edinburgh City to join them within the next decade.

21 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

It sounds very much like those three clubs have found their natural level.

I'd expect the likes of Stenhousemuir and Edinburgh City to join them within the next decade.

Stenny are a well run club who live within their means. I'd never write them off.  Edinburgh FC is one where I would not be surprised if financial chickens came home to roost well within a decade. Punching above your weight has it's dangers and it's consequences.