Next to go?

Of course clubs will move towards their 'natural' position but what happens is that they tend to ebb and flow around that. It really is ridiculous to pick Arbroath's best season in almost all of our lifetimes to decide that this is the actual natural order of things. Club after club have hit highs and would have said almost exactly what you're saying now. Do you think Clyde fans thought they'd end up bottom of the pile within years when they were a whisker away from the Premier in the 2000s? Or Brechin fans had any clue they were about to hurtle straight out of the SPFL when they won the Championship play-offs just a few years ago?
Christ, it wasn't that long ago that Falkirk were playing in Europe and Cowdenbeath were finishing 8th the Championship.

Dumbarton were in the Premier in the mid eighties and within ten years finished bottom of league two. It’s cyclical

On 18/05/2022 at 11:07, 1320Lichtie said:

They are totally different things obviously Auchinleck are well established but Darvel have potentially just over taken them in a short while. 

What’s the difference in Darvel attendances and Auchinlecks this season? Couldn’t find it anywhere 

Also if Auchinleck moved up the structure and the local derbies disappeared, big fish small pond, winning most weeks and less success on park do you think that would potentially affect them? I honestly have no idea but I think it is another interesting thing about the pyramid 

I think there's a somewhat parochial reluctance to moving up the pyramid from some sides. It seems more of a mindset in the West than in the East but I don't really know why. Talbot in particular I reckon could hold their own in League 2 quite comfortably, maybe higher.

Dingwall’s population is a red herring re Ross County they have fans coming from a large area out with the town.

As the only league team in their 100,000 population local authority there's nothing stopping Elgin doing the same.

There's about 50,000 people living in Ross-shire, majority live relatively local to Dingwall in Easter Ross.

True, but about a third of them live on an island with a five hour round trip to Victoria Park.

On 30/05/2022 at 10:29, Death in Vegas said:

Bonnyrigg Rose, will be scrapping it out at the bottom. Hopefully get a price on them to finish bottom from Mcbookie. Will be a good price I would think.

I reckon you'd probably get decent odds on us too. Could see the bookies massively overrating our chances of a good finish.

From what I witnessed against Cowdenbeath, Bonnyrigg will struggle in this league. A pub team at best. My tip to go straight back down.
I have no love for Bonnyrigg Rose but "a pub team at best" ......get real.

They are a settled team who are happy staying solid and grinding out results at home and away.

16 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

I have no love for Bonnyrigg Rose but "a pub team at best" ......get real.

They are a settled team who are happy staying solid and grinding out results at home and away.

Had you witnessed what I had witnessed in the second leg at Cowdenbeath, we could maybe share each others pain. It was pub league footie with two really poor teams. Bonnyrigg had a cracking support to be fair.

The thread title is "next to go" and in my opinion, Bonnyrigg will finish bottom. 

Of course, I could be completely wrong in under a years time, in which case I'll eat my right arm.

On 08/06/2022 at 21:58, Stevo Fife said:

Had you witnessed what I had witnessed in the second leg at Cowdenbeath, we could maybe share each others pain. It was pub league footie with two really poor teams. Bonnyrigg had a cracking support to be fair.

The thread title is "next to go" and in my opinion, Bonnyrigg will finish bottom. 

Of course, I could be completely wrong in under a years time, in which case I'll eat my right arm.

You saw a team defending a 3-0 first leg win. They wouldn't do any crazy things as conceding early could risk it. In such a situation you never see the best of the team as it will all be about staying calm and not getting yourselves into trouble.

From what I've seen of them this season (3 games total), I think they will be absolutely fine over the course of a whole season. They've got enough quality to get enough results not to get in trouble. And if they just get 2 or 3 experienced players in, they should be a good side for this league.

Guest AberhillEnd
1 minute ago, Marten said:

You saw a team defending a 3-0 first leg win. They wouldn't do any crazy things as conceding early could risk it. In such a situation you never see the best of the team as it will all be about staying calm and not getting yourselves into trouble.

From what I've seen of them this season (3 games total), I think they will be absolutely fine over the course of a whole season. They've got enough quality to get enough results not to get in trouble. And if they just get 2 or 3 experienced players in, they should be a good side for this league.

Can you tell us who the quality players are ? I know of Currie from his Berwick days but the rest ?

20 minutes ago, AberhillEnd said:

Can you tell us who the quality players are ? I know of Currie from his Berwick days but the rest ?

Noticed a few players that I recognised from their re-signing list, but are they quality, I’m not sure and they are a few years older as well.

Michael Andrews was also with Berwick and The Shire at this level, Dean Brett is well known from his time at Cowdenbeath and Neil Martynuik was at Edinburgh City and maybe even Hibs (???), other than that, I’m assuming that the rest are untried or didn’t get many appearance when they were at League 1 or 2 clubs.