Next to go?

2 hours ago, Gimme said:

There will be no match day parking at the ground. The main street outside the ground also has no parking at the moment due to roadworks.

There are 2 small car parks at the back of the shops on the High Street where you might get lucky otherwise its a case of picking a nearby street and parking there (there are no restrictions on any of the sidestreets), best bet is probably Campview Road, Raes Gardens or Durham Place all of which are 5-10 minute walks.

I was thinking of parking at the high school, which is probably a 10-15 minute walk to the ground.

I’m quite familiar with it as my daughter has played football there a number of times, and it has a big car park and the entrance is not gated or anything like that.

Any flaws in that plan? 

On 02/05/2022 at 18:38, cowdenbeath said:

Never done it that way but I would think you could get a bus from there to Bonnyrigg.

edited to add 

You can get the bus at the Tesco which is 1/2 a mile from the station, it’s the one you would get from the city centre.

On 02/05/2022 at 16:36, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

31 minutes walk according to Google maps although it's only 1.5 miles so 22 minutes or so most likely.

Think I might get the train in on Saturday and walk from Eskbank.

Anybody walking up, cross the railway by the bridge, head towards Tesco (not even 1/4 of a mile tbh) but then take a left and join the cycle path towards Penicuik, not much shorter but avoids the main Bonnyrigg to Eskbank road. On Google maps you can see it passing to the east of K&I coachworks and well south of Tesco.

42 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Anybody walking up, cross the railway by the bridge, head towards Tesco (not even 1/4 of a mile tbh) but then take a left and join the cycle path towards Penicuik, not much shorter but avoids the main Bonnyrigg to Eskbank road. On Google maps you can see it passing to the east of K&I coachworks and well south of Tesco.

I was going by what Google maps said thought it sounded a bit long!

13 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Any boozers on route mate ?

Just now, big al said:

Any boozers on route mate ?

Well if you use the cycle path the first road you meet is from Bonnyrigg to Gorebridge, so turn right and the Waverley is just up the road. Carry on up and the Calderwood is right outside the park. And the social club.

40 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Well if you use the cycle path the first road you meet is from Bonnyrigg to Gorebridge, so turn right and the Waverley is just up the road. Carry on up and the Calderwood is right outside the park. And the social club.

Sounds good, cheers 

Updating and bringing back on topic…

Number of times teams have finished bottom since we adopted a four league structure in Scotland:

East Stirlingshire - 8 (relegated)

Albion Rovers - 3

Cowdenbeath - 3 (relegated)

Montrose - 3

Brechin City - 2 (relegated)

Elgin City - 2

Queen’s Park - 2

Arbroath - 1

Berwick Rangers - 1 (relegated)

Clyde -1

Dumbarton - 1

Forfar - 1

Statistics - and recent league positions - suggest Albion Rovers and Elgin may be most vulnerable.  However, having heard that Bonnyrigg have offered the whole of their squad 12 months extensions, and having seen them against Cowdenbeath I don’t think they’re necessarily safe.  Also give how abject Dumbarton were against a not very good Edinburgh City side, I might also side with those of their fans who’re worried about a double relegation. However, given that most clubs don’t have enough players signed to turn out a side yet, maybe come back to predictions in four to six weeks.

Edited by EdinburghBlue

The potential promotion chasers next season will likely be Darvel & EK who still have some dosh. After that it'll be Auchinleck, Tranent, Linlithgow & a pile of west teams. Likely the Lowland league winners will be the favourites mostly in the coming years playoff wise.

7 minutes ago, HenryHill said:

They should turn the Lowland League into a League 3 and push the Highland League down to the level of the EOS, WOS and SOS.

In principle I agree with you.  In the main the HL is lower standard than LL.  in a few years when the weegies start working through that gap will be a chasm.  I wouldn’t have league 3 though.  I’d increase the numbers of teams in the current leagues.  That would then make it easier to increase promotion/relegation and have more fluidity between divisions.

Suspect it will be 5 years or so before the disparity between LL and HL becomes obvious and about 50 years before the authorities act on it.

11 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Updating and bringing back on topic…

Number of times teams have finished bottom since we adopted a four league structure in Scotland:

East Stirlingshire - 8 (relegated)

Albion Rovers - 3

Cowdenbeath - 3 (relegated)

Montrose - 3

Brechin City - 2 (relegated)

Elgin City - 2

Queen’s Park - 2

Arbroath - 1

Berwick Rangers - 1 (relegated)

Clyde -1

Dumbarton - 1

Forfar - 1

Statistics - and recent league positions - suggest Albion Rovers and Elgin may be most vulnerable.  However, having heard that Bonnyrigg have offered the whole of their squad 12 months extensions, and having seen them against Cowdenbeath I don’t think they’re necessarily safe.  Also give how abject Dumbarton were against a not very good Edinburgh City side, I might also side with those of their fans who’re worried about a double relegation. However, given that most clubs don’t have enough players signed to turn out a side yet, maybe come back to predictions in four to six weeks.

Albion rovers are next

Totally agree with the statement that it will be mainly lowland league teams playing off against club 42 in the coming years.

Bonnyrigg need to bring in 4-5 players with a bit experience of league two.

If not, it could be a short stay for them.

15 hours ago, Left Back said:

Not a gimme.  There’s a few candidates from the (admittedly limited) teams I saw this season.  Elgin, Stirling and Stenhousemuir also looked howling.

Albion are stirlings buffer,  possibly Elgin too

Once they've gone it's really brown trousers time 

Oh I hope it's not us, I couldn't bear opposition fans saying "get doon" or "good riddance" or "that's karma" [emoji849]

As loads have said it's no that big a deal in grand scheme of things for absolute diddies like ourselves, Cowdenbeath, Albion Rovers, Berwick etc. Could go through them all nearly . A think the history of the closed shop has made people think their clubs are in some way special or even "big" to an extent. Think some fans/clubs need an ego check.

Whilst the prospect of playing B teams or Uni's isn't mouthwatering as long as we have the wee bar, there are decent pubs at away games and the weekly meeting of friends then playing East Kilbride or Darvel opposed to Albion Rovers or Stirling Albion really doesn't overly matter.

Here's a record of which clubs have finished in the bottom two places in the SPFL, and how many times it's happened, since the four league structure was brought in in 1994-95.

image.png.f1caf52fe77a3be1d84439c01ef0a09c.png

Just shows you that nobody's safe when 7 of the 15 have also spent time in the Championship since 1994.