Next to go?

On 22/07/2021 at 14:14, bluearmyfaction said:

There were no teams south of Birmingham when the League started in 1888; the south had resisted professionalism and stagnated.  When the Southern League finally got going on a professional footing in the 1900s, the League creamed off its best teams, and then after WW1 absorbed its top division in toto.

That should have made it more equal between north and south, but teams in the Northern League wanted the same treatment as the Southern, so in 1921 the Northern League top flight was brought in en masse.

Those teams were not equivalent to the Southern League teams.  The Southern League in 1910 were basically League-standard teams that had not all been able to join yet.  The Northern League was teams that had already de facto had a chance to get into the League but were not good enough.

Result is that not a single one of those first Division 3 North teams - first season, 100 years ago - has ever played in the top flight.  (Wigan Borough are not the same as Wigan Athletic.)  12 out of the 20 have never even been in the second tier.  Compare that to teams in the inaugural D3 South season.  22 teams and 15 have played top flight; only Exeter and Merthyr Town have never made it to the second.

It's kind of as if the whole Highland League had been put into a big Scottish Division 3.  The very best from the Highlands against the third best from the Lowlands.

Good point, I never thought about it that way before.

• 7 months later...
On 23/07/2021 at 10:38, bluearmyfaction said:

Barrow were ex-League, Salford bought a place (had the Mancs gone with anyone from Alnwick to Penzance they would have got in).  But given the numbers that have got into the League over the years, there are few exceptions, and Morecambe and Fleetwood are significant overachievers given their catchment areas.  Fleetwood is smaller than Wishaw for instance.  Should never be big enough to support a League club but they're flourishing.

Also a great General Ignorance trivia question - which League club plays at the Highbury ground?

Pretty sure it's Fleetwood... Played there myself weirdly!

On 25/05/2021 at 19:48, GordonS said:

Hardly "vaporised", both the clubs that have gone down are carrying on just fine.

One bad-enough season should always be enough to get relegated. Isn't that how football is supposed to work?

Maybe it would feel like less of a trap-door if there were more relegation and promotion places, so more opportunity to get back up. 

Notice quite a few on here think the LL is the bottom of the pyramid.

There's a few leagues below that in the Lowland Region.

On 30/04/2022 at 18:44, Jeek said:

Pretty sure it's Fleetwood... Played there myself weirdly!

Both Fleetwood and Morecambe would have flourished when fans were boycotting Blackpool, same with AFC Fylde.

Since Blackpool got rid of the Oyston’s two out of the three have went backwards.

4 hours ago, Shawheadrover said:

Pyramid with 'guest teams'. Lowland League is a joke.

It is. It's humiliating playing another club's reserve teams. My fear is that the SPFL will eventually admit them, and then I will have to ignore the lower divisions.

Why can't the Old Firm just help finance a reserve league? 

51 minutes ago, Mr. Smith said:

It is. It's humiliating playing another club's reserve teams. My fear is that the SPFL will eventually admit them, and then I will have to ignore the lower divisions.

I find it amusing how they pretend to hate each other but worked together to get thier B teams in the lowland league and tried to sort out a dirty weekend away in Australia.

5 minutes ago, HenryHill said:

I find it amusing how they pretend to hate each other but worked together to get thier B teams in the lowland league and tried to sort out a dirty weekend away in Australia.

Indeed, though the origin of the name 'Old Firm' comes from the fact that they would collude to increase prices, at least according to Bill Murray - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Old-Firm-Sectarianism-Society-Scotland/dp/B002OHMLOU

1 hour ago, HenryHill said:

They need each other hence doing things like that.

From a business point of view they certainly don’t hate each other.

On 09/05/2021 at 18:46, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Participation in SPFL levels 1-4 should be contingent on having a train station within circa 30 mins walk of your ground.

Was about to throw my weight behind Cowdenbeath for the above reason before I realised where Eskbank station was.

Edited by Am Featha Taigh Nan Clach

2 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

31 minutes walk according to Google maps although it's only 1.5 miles so 22 minutes or so most likely.

Think I might get the train in on Saturday and walk from Eskbank.

Never done it that way but I would think you could get a bus from there to Bonnyrigg.

edited to add 

You can get the bus at the Tesco which is 1/2 a mile from the station, it’s the one you would get from the city centre.

Edited by cowdenbeath

10 hours ago, Mr. Smith said:

It's been covered in a Lowland League thread, but the pair of them want a 'B team' representing them in the Scottish League system if they ever get the chance to participate in another league system outside Scotland. The SFA and SPFL together are furtively encouraging this.

15 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It's been covered in a Lowland League thread, but the pair of them want a 'B team' representing them in the Scottish League system if they ever get the chance to participate in another league system outside Scotland. The SFA and SPFL together are furtively encouraging this.

That just sounds spurious to me. Even if it's true, they can cross that bridge when they come to it.

Never done it that way but I would think you could get a bus from there to Bonnyrigg.
edited to add 
You can get the bus at the Tesco which is 1/2 a mile from the station, it’s the one you would get from the city centre.

What’s the parking like at the ground?

What’s the parking like at the ground?
There will be no match day parking at the ground. The main street outside the ground also has no parking at the moment due to roadworks.

There are 2 small car parks at the back of the shops on the High Street where you might get lucky otherwise its a case of picking a nearby street and parking there (there are no restrictions on any of the sidestreets), best bet is probably Campview Road, Raes Gardens or Durham Place all of which are 5-10 minute walks.