Next to go?

1 hour ago, Hauftimedraw said:
1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:
They had a few players signed from Workington at the start of 19/20 but I don’t think they lasted the season.
I always thought that they would go for players down that way given their manager is a Carlisle United legend and must have some good contacts in the area.
As mentioned the squad is mostly Scottish.

We had two from Workington reds. Matty Douglas who was our POTY this season. The other was a keeper, Arran Taylor, who took the huff and left to go to Gretna

Cheers didn’t realise one was still with you.

On 26/05/2021 at 20:48, Gordon EF said:

I'm sure we'll see an ex-SPFL club at tier 6 at some point in the future.

A pedant writes: if you take SPFL to equal the Scottish League founded in 1890 then former 3rd Division clubs Peebles Rovers and Arthurlie fulfill this criteria

A further pedant writes: Peebles Rovers merged with other clubs a few years back to form a community club so are they the same club? Similarly are the current Arthurlie the same as the 1874 club? Well, they think so. That's the trouble with football clubs, they're like Trigger's Broom

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

A pedant writes: if you take SPFL to equal the Scottish League founded in 1890 then former 3rd Division clubs Peebles Rovers and Arthurlie fulfill this criteria

A further pedant writes: Peebles Rovers merged with other clubs a few years back to form a community club so are they the same club? Similarly are the current Arthurlie the same as the 1874 club? Well, they think so. That's the trouble with football clubs, they're like Trigger's Broom

I will pedantically point out that the SPFL was formed in 2013.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

I will pedantically point out that the SPFL was formed in 2013.

Out pedanted! But this means there was no prospect of Terry Munro if Celtic had won the SPFL title this season. Arrgh! My brain hurts :lol:

On 26/05/2021 at 23:18, rockson said:

Cliftonhill is a fantastic ground to visit. (If you remember what most grounds were like in the 1950s.)

1696296107_2018-01-2714_16_53.thumb.jpg.af6b68ec6fcd17c19a244a3454c5dace.jpg

Only ground with its own wishing well.  (Might come in handy over the next  few years.)

Edited by EdinburghBlue

38 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

1696296107_2018-01-2714_16_53.thumb.jpg.af6b68ec6fcd17c19a244a3454c5dace.jpg

Only ground with its own wishing well.  (Might come in handy over the next  few years.)

Speak for yourself my friend- as alluded to in other posts most if not all of the clubs in L2 and some in L1 may find themselves facing the drop one day.

Rovers problem is there are clubs spending decent money (sometimes exorbitant) from the top half of L2 and the top clubs in the LL and HL so the Rovers find themselves squeezed. Of course the money clubs are spending now can run dry but good luck to them anyway I wish someone would invest in us. 
Anyway good to see so many tipping us for the drop next - suits us down to the ground.

On 28/05/2021 at 09:32, Vodka Vic said:

Speak for yourself my friend- as alluded to in other posts most if not all of the clubs in L2 and some in L1 may find themselves facing the drop one day.

… as I have already written!

I have to agree that Albion Rover and Cowdenbeath are likely candidates. I wouldn't like any of our league sides to drop out but on the other hand it's fair that robust  ambitious non - league clubs get their chance.

1 hour ago, Raith_Raver said:

I have to agree that Albion Rover and Cowdenbeath are likely candidates. I wouldn't like any of our league sides to drop out but on the other hand it's fair that robust  ambitious non - league clubs get their chance.

I think the Stranraer Committee are trying to muscle in on this act 🙁

14 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

I've no gripe with relegation to the Siberian wastes of the LL and HL non league football, I just feel the chances of coming back up are remote. I feel a 14/16 team SPFL 2 with an automatic relegation spot for the bottom team and a playoff between second bottom and HL/LL losers might be better.

At the moment the chances of getting relegated aren't too bad, but the chances of coming up aren't great either.

Robust, ambitious non - league clubs? Not such a thing unfortunately. The same can be said for most of clubs in the league. Unless you’re backed by people who are happy for their money falling into a black hole it’s only ambition that’s left.

6 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

I think a proper pyramid system should have an automatic relegation, just as the English have. Our play-offs are different for every division - they should be consistent.

It took England 8 years of the conference before automatic promotion was granted and just in recent years they have had the second promotion spot.

The English done their top non league property as well it was the top non league sides in the Conference from day one.

Up here we just chucked the Lowland League together in about 5 minutes.

I do believe eventually there will be automatic promotion and relegation someday once we have a Lowland League which is the top 16 sides on merit.

12 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Of course the play offs didn't come in until the 2nd season of the Lowland League.

The first season champions missed out on a chance.

First season champions were Spartans, tee hee.

Your a bad man😀

It took England 8 years of the conference before automatic promotion was granted and just in recent years they have had the second promotion spot.
The English done their top non league property as well it was the top non league sides in the Conference from day one.
Up here we just chucked the Lowland League together in about 5 minutes.
I do believe eventually there will be automatic promotion and relegation someday once we have a Lowland League which is the top 16 sides on merit.

Even after promotion/relegation was brought in a couple of clubs have been denied promotion as their grounds were deemed not suitable for a ground grading and were not gave time to get the work done.