Next to go?

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm sure we'll see an ex-SPFL club at tier 6 at some point in the future. Doubt it'll be Clyde but you never know. Wouldn't put it past Shire or Berwick within the next decade.

Hopefully both given their sooking of the Old Firm Colts' boaby. 

18 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Can’t argue with any of that. However, It’s a moot point at the moment given the collapse of the construction contract. In footballing terms, we seemed to have taken a penalty kick against a blind, one-legged keeper and somehow smashed it off the crossbar all the way back into our own goal. But hey, maybe there’s a cunning plan we just don’t know about yet. 

Off topic but this reminds me of playing football in my back garden with my uncle when I was a kid.  I was practising penalties and I kept hitting every one straight at him so he went and got a garden chair, sat down and pulled his top up over his head. I couldn't miss!

Ball smacked him in the leg and he took his top down to find me face down on the ground screaming.  Still spoken about.

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

Off topic but this reminds me of playing football in my back garden with my uncle when I was a kid.  I was practising penalties and I kept hitting every one straight at him so he went and got a garden chair, sat down and pulled his top up over his head. I couldn't miss!

Ball smacked him in the leg and he took his top down to find me face down on the ground screaming.  Still spoken about.

My best penalty when I was a football player was when I hit the post, then the ball bounced off the other post to basically come back where I stood. It was in a shootout, thankfully we still won as otherwise I'd never have heard the end of it. :D 

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

14 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm sure we'll see an ex-SPFL club at tier 6 at some point in the future. Doubt it'll be Clyde but you never know. Wouldn't put it past Shire or Berwick within the next decade.

If their financial benefactor loses interest the Shire are prime candidates in the next 5 years never mind 10 now the parachute payments are gone. Most of their squad will soon be out of contract so who they start signing for next season will be an indication on that. I wouldn't be 100% confident that even tier 6 would prove to be their natural level long term if nobody is pumping money in. A lot would depend on how generous the terms are on using the Falkirk Stadium.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

If their financial benefactor loses interest the Shire are prime candidates in the next 5 years never mind 10 now the parachute payments are gone. Most of their squad will soon be out of contract so who they start signing for next season will be an indication on that. I wouldn't be 100% confident that even tier 6 would prove to be their natural level long term if nobody is pumping money in. 

Apparently the money's already gone. If more than 5 clubs are relegated over the next 5 years, Shire could well be one of them.

13 hours ago, rockson said:

Cliftonhill is a fantastic ground to visit. (If you remember what most grounds were like in the 1950s.)

There won't be too many on here remember that - not even me.

I fancy Annan could be the next to go. The sad thing is I don't think anyone, including their fans, (judging by their participation on this forum) would notice. It will become more and more difficult for them to recruit with so many ambitious clubs between them and Glasgow with money to spend.

The East Stirlingshire story is a prime example of why the authorities should set stricter conditions for club ownership, and why the press need to spend more time doing journalism and less sooking up to "ambitious" clubs for better lunches and heated seats.

Edit: not a dig at Willie's use of "ambitious", BTW.

Edited by BFTD

24 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I fancy Annan could be the next to go. The sad thing is I don't think anyone, including their fans, (judging by their participation on this forum) would notice. It will become more and more difficult for them to recruit with so many ambitious clubs between them and Glasgow with money to spend.

Have to agree this is a very realistic possibility. 

36 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

I fancy Annan...with so many ambitious clubs between them and Glasgow with money to spend.

Do they not have Carlisle and Cumbria to tap into for players? Main reason I had for not selecting them. Gone in next 10 years though I would have thought.

1 hour ago, williebraveheart said:

They’ve only been in the League for 13 seasons. Maybe not such a wrench for most who’ll remember more fun times in a lower league. It’s a good set-up though and the fans have done a lot in the ground so maybe not much debt.

You would absolutely be on the list of shitty away days if you were still at Hampden or ground sharing at Falkirk or somewhere. I'm reserving judgement until I see what you do with Lesser. Do a  decent job and stick some terracing in there and you'll elevate yourselves to 'good away day'.
Loads of good pubs near hampden, train station not a million miles away

Agreed that it's getting harder each season for us. We start each season aiming not to finish 10th and anything higher is a bonus.
That said, we tend to be a yoyo team in regards to league placings so after these two fractured stop start seasons we might be the surprise package!
Have followed Annan in the Carlisle & District league, Southern Counties and the East of Scotland so have enjoyed these past 13 years... Glory days!

3 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

This is one of my worries about Stranraer.  If teams like Arthurlie, Irvine, Kilwinning and Pollok make it into the SPFL why would a player want to travel down Scotland’s worst road (the A77) every second Saturday for a home game when there are plenty of more local teams to choose from. 

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Do they not have Carlisle and Cumbria to tap into for players? Main reason I had for not selecting them. Gone in next 10 years though I would have thought.

They had a few players signed from Workington at the start of 19/20 but I don’t think they lasted the season.

I always thought that they would go for players down that way given their manager is a Carlisle United legend and must have some good contacts in the area.

As mentioned the squad is mostly Scottish.

They had a few players signed from Workington at the start of 19/20 but I don’t think they lasted the season.
I always thought that they would go for players down that way given their manager is a Carlisle United legend and must have some good contacts in the area.
As mentioned the squad is mostly Scottish.
We had two from Workington reds. Matty Douglas who was our POTY this season. The other was a keeper, Arran Taylor, who took the huff and left to go to Gretna