Rutherglen Glencairn 2021-22

Disappointing not to take something from last night's game after going ahead in the first half. The timing of the winning goal (45+2) was horrible, but we had more than enough chances to equalise and spurned them. You have to take your chances at this level as you know the big money teams will do exactly that.

Some really tough games coming up for us now - Darvel, Pollok, Hurlford, Kilwinning. But these are the games you want to be playing in.

7 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Disappointing not to take something from last night's game after going ahead in the first half. The timing of the winning goal (45+2) was horrible, but we had more than enough chances to equalise and spurned them. You have to take your chances at this level as you know the big money teams will do exactly that.

Some really tough games coming up for us now - Darvel, Pollok, Hurlford, Kilwinning. But these are the games you want to be playing in.

Tough run, right enough. How many points are you hoping for out of those four?

Maybe worth editing a "just the goals" video that other clubs so it can be put on social media, as that would likely be watched by more people than a 17 minute video? Or provide some timestamps so I can see the goals/incidents :)

A real tough shift for us today away to possibly the best team in the league. Darvel were the better team by a distance, but it took an own goal and a huge deflection to get past us.

Games like today are not what will shape our fate at the end of the season, as we can't compete financially with the likes of Darvel. Anything we get from games against the title contenders are a bonus for us, it's what we take against the other teams in the league that will matter for us.

Our tough run continues with Pollok on Wednesday, then Hurlford United, then Kilwinning Rangers, then Auchinleck Talbot. Hopefully we can pick up a few points in there somewhere, but we need to take as many points as possible from the non-title-contenders who will all also be battling to finish 13th or better.

We are delighted to announce that another of our u21s squad has made the step up to the first team. Left sided defender Craig Leitch has played all 3 matches in the WoSFL Premier Division this season and has now signed a deal to become a permanent member of the first team squad. 20210727_142850.jpeg

Fair play to Glencairn tonight who made a game of it v Pollok. The 1st half they shaded it I'd say and had the better of the chances with the save from Longmuir 1 of the best u will ever see in the amatuer game. 2nd half Pollok slowly took control then the sending off swaying it for the final stages.

The referee was absolutely appalling as was the linesman on the dugout side. I know these guys aren't perfect but tonight was a disgrace from the officials and ruined a good game of football.

Pollok lack a target man upfront and are very lightweight in that area. For all of their signings and depth they didn't look anything special in the 1st half.

If Glencairn maintain the same level of commitment and application they have nothing to fear this season.

10 hours ago, AM-1 said:

Fair play to Glencairn tonight who made a game of it v Pollok. The 1st half they shaded it I'd say and had the better of the chances with the save from Longmuir 1 of the best u will ever see in the amatuer game. 2nd half Pollok slowly took control then the sending off swaying it for the final stages.

The referee was absolutely appalling as was the linesman on the dugout side. I know these guys aren't perfect but tonight was a disgrace from the officials and ruined a good game of football.

Pollok lack a target man upfront and are very lightweight in that area. For all of their signings and depth they didn't look anything special in the 1st half.

If Glencairn maintain the same level of commitment and application they have nothing to fear this season.

Yes, another frustrating night for us, missed chances in the first half came back to haunt us as we knew they would. You have to take your chances against teams like Pollok because they will unquestionably punish you if you don't.

I thought we were getting a lifeline when Fraser missed the penalty and was then sent off seconds later, but we switched off at a corner a few minutes later and were punished again. I'll need to see Gerry's video again, but I'm pretty sure the corner should have been a throw-in, as I was retrieving the ball from down the wee slope at the corner, I'm sure it went out well before the line but I could be wrong.

Our goal five minutes from the end (a disaster for the Pollok defence and goalkeeper by the way) gave us some hope, but we couldn't capitalise on the extra man for the equaliser.

On to Hurlford on Saturday now, then a cup tie in midweek while 16 out of the other 19 teams are playing league matches, before the league leaders come calling and then Auchinleck the next week. These are the games we want to be playing in and they are the reason everybody wants to be in the top league, but we have been given all the title contenders pretty much back to back right at the start of the season. It's a really tough run, but we just need to get stuck in and get on with it. Every team has to play every team at some point.

The encouraging thing for me is that, in the four games played so far, we have been competitive in all four. Only Darvel have beaten us by more than a single goal, and it took two jammy goals to beat us.

Any idea of an attendance for last night?

Was a decent game. Very relieved to have held on but with hindsight we never really looked like throwing it away after the second goal. Still not certain what the red was for but the lack of complaints from everyone on the pitch suggests it was deserved.