South Challenge Cup 2021-22

42 minutes ago, Cornishman said:

Both got and gotten existed as far back as Middle English. English speakers in North America preserved gotten as the past participle of got...

Scots speakers did as well so this all seems like a big fuss over not very much. 

3 hours ago, Cornishman said:

Nope... the imbecilic 'got' is the lazy abomination here. The lexicological equivalent of 'could of/would of'!

What has lexicology got to do with it? (Note, not 'gotten' to do with it.) Words change from their lexicological origins over time.

In my Chambers dictionary the past tense of 'get' is rendered as  'got'.  (Gotten is given as being archaic or USian.)

Could of/would of are just solecisms due to 1) people not listening properly 2) not thinking/knowing about how verb tenses/moods work .

22 hours ago, rockson said:

What has lexicology got to do with it? (Note, not 'gotten' to do with it.) Words change from their lexicological origins over time.

In my Chambers dictionary the past tense of 'get' is rendered as  'got'.  (Gotten is given as being archaic or USian.)

Could of/would of are just solecisms due to 1) people not listening properly 2) not thinking/knowing about how verb tenses/moods work .

Look up '"To get" in the Perfect Tense'...

Edited by Cornishman

2 hours ago, Cornishman said:

Get is an irregular verb. Its three parts are get, got, got 

(You say potahto, I say potayto.)

For the whole of my life 'gotten' has been an exclusively USian form - never, ever, spoken by any of my interlocutors in this country.

(You say tomayto, I say tomahto.)

Let's call the whole thing off.

Can only imagine the meltdowns some people on here would have if they heard some of my relatives say things like hudden instead of held. Gotten is just the tip of the iceberg of what some geriatric Scots speakers can do with past participles and the eccentricities of American English are really quite tame in comparison. Moving things back towards the real subject matter though:

E2dwJSDWQAE3eYk?format=jpg%26name=medium

If the SCC is getting 7 prime Saturday fixture dates during the league season like that, it's difficult to see how the junior cup fits in as a flagship tournament if there is also a WoS specific West of Scotland Cup to squeeze in as well. Think this post from parkcircus implies that they will probably use Scottish Cup dates initially and run it in parallel with the WoS equivalent of the Alex Jack and Alba Cups in the EoS and SoS and then I guess they would probably have to leave any remaining rounds for May and June after the league season has concluded:

On 26/05/2021 at 23:08, parkcircus said:

Probably start looking at it more seriously about March

Need to find some partnerships for the West of Scotland Cup and the Non Licensed/Non Junior Cup (I’m sure it’ll get a better name)

Edited by LongTimeLurker

The final on TV (in English) would be good, might be prestigious to play at Hampden but not great unless there's a crowd, and the name is fine as it is unless it's expanded...

https://www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/sport/football/kirkintilloch-rob-roy-boss-calls-for-south-challenge-cup-name-change-3255583

"This is the FA Non League Cup. From what i hear they are trying to get the final played at Hampden and on TV and if they do that it makes it a showcase pinnacle event.

"But I do think they should change the name of it from the South Challenge Cup, maybe to the Scottish Non-League Challenge Cup, just to coincide with all the other reams(?) in it.

"But it's definitely the Scottish Cup of non-league football now and if they can get it it to Hampden's it's a great event for players; it could be a pinnacle of a player's career to play in it.

7 hours ago, Ginaro said:

The final on TV (in English) would be good, might be prestigious to play at Hampden but not great unless there's a crowd, and the name is fine as it is unless it's expanded...

https://www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/sport/football/kirkintilloch-rob-roy-boss-calls-for-south-challenge-cup-name-change-3255583

"This is the FA Non League Cup. From what i hear they are trying to get the final played at Hampden and on TV and if they do that it makes it a showcase pinnacle event.

"But I do think they should change the name of it from the South Challenge Cup, maybe to the Scottish Non-League Challenge Cup, just to coincide with all the other reams(?) in it.

"But it's definitely the Scottish Cup of non-league football now and if they can get it it to Hampden's it's a great event for players; it could be a pinnacle of a player's career to play in it.

Have you ran it by Talbot yet?

17 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Have you ran it by Talbot yet?

I can't speak for Talbot.For me it was brilliant watching my team win a national trophy in the national stadium.With TV camera's catching the moment it will be a memory you will never forget.

Rin it by St.Johnstone

Could they follow the English and maybe call it the Scottish F.A Trophy  or something. Really think it will eventually take off, could it be possible to tinker with any SFA payments , rather than the Scottish Cup money. Just redistribute monies per round etc, winners and losers get so much. Only an idea.

Add tayside and northern clubs and its non league Scottish cup , means another couple of rounds but so what , it then means it’s a prestigious competition and one which fans would love but no worth pleasing them

And have the final at hampden , i will never forget darvel at hampden and that was over 40 years ago 

we have teams in this from the west and the east and it’s the south of Scotland cup 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷‍♂️

just stupidity IMO 

7 minutes ago, Darvel legend said:

Add tayside and northern clubs and its non league Scottish cup , means another couple of rounds but so what , it then means it’s a prestigious competition and one which fans would love but no worth pleasing them

It doesn't. This year's SCC has 161 teams in it. If you were to take the Highland Pyramid at it's potential max right now you'd be adding 18 (HL), 12 (NCL), 33 (North Juniors), 18 (Midland). That's 242 teams. Round wise the competition is still in the 129-256 range.

It would have to get to 257 teams before adding another round.

Its the compact calendar for the Highland League, travel & costs that are the stumbling blocks.

If it meant getting the Highland clubs involved and making a proper “non-league” Scottish Cup, I actually wouldn’t mind them regionalising Round 1 and 2 long-term.

They've already split the SCC into groups of 40ish this season, so with 81 teams north of the line it works out quite nicely tbh

And have the final at hampden , i will never forget darvel at hampden and that was over 40 years ago 
we have teams in this from the west and the east and it’s the south of Scotland cup [emoji2359][emoji2369]

just stupidity IMO 

It's not the South of Scotland Cup, that is run by the South of Scotland Football League. It is the South Region Challenge Cup, involving all teams from tier 5 down in the South Region.