South Challenge Cup 2021-22

7 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Any tie over 50 miles is entitled to £150 in travel expenses, which then increases with greater distances.

Open draw across the first two rounds would be 97 games played, with the other 63 games to played after that. Looking at the first two rounds of 2020-21 if they had been played they would have been out of pocket a 5 figure sum.

Tbh you can’t really argue with this considering the last 2 seasons have been write-offs for the organisers. Hopefully it’s just temporary for a couple of seasons until everyone is back on their feet again.

Its been split really well though, can’t argue with it at all

seems like a right dogs dinner and the name of the cup needs to change it sounds incredibly cheap and tinpot. 

Nothing will ever match the brand name of the Scottish junior cup that name is historic and untouchable in terms of prestige the but the south challenge cup needs to change to something else more fitting even though 90 per cent of fans going to games will just refer into it as junior cup anyway. 

3 hours ago, arnlow said:

seems like a right dogs dinner and the name of the cup needs to change it sounds incredibly cheap and tinpot. 

Nothing will ever match the brand name of the Scottish junior cup that name is historic and untouchable in terms of prestige the but the south challenge cup needs to change to something else more fitting even though 90 per cent of fans going to games will just refer into it as junior cup anyway. 

What would you suggest it's called? 

3 hours ago, arnlow said:

Absolutely no one will call it the junior cup.

junior fitba’s deid. Get over it

1 hour ago, Kennie said:

Except it isn't a Scottish Cup

You are of course correct.I will add though,when things settle down that a Scottish Cup for clubs in tier 5 to 10 would be the way forward.This would bring the fans through the gates with around a dozen clubs believing they have the chance to win a national trophy.Now that would put your burrs up.

90% to call it the Junior Cup, and it's not a Scottish Cup, confusing to say  the least. Always thought this cup would raise its profile with the West clubs, looks interesting from the outside, with the clubs involved. Would this be classed as the premier non league cup, maybe in the future ? 

It replaced the South Qualifying Cup. It has been called the South Challenge Cup for a decade and a half. It is a cup for clubs in the south part of the pyramid. What else could it be called? I suppose you might drop the 'Challenge' bit and just call it the South Cup!

In practice cup names tend to get adjusted according to sponsor preferences anyway. (Last season it was officially the SoccerShop Challenge Cup with the 'South' bit dropped).

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Enough flim-flam. When’s the draw?

Friday evening.

Here are the 161 participating clubs in their respective zones:

SCC2.JPG.db391d1aa9f64bc6c85352846b97612c.JPG

SCC3.JPG.9da76b60f7dc38abe995d8c0744e2293.JPG

SCC4.JPG.421616fe699bb122a0afe78a98ee19c8.JPG

SCC5.JPG.fe186081020064f13aca6e1dcaadf53a.JPG

17 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It replaced the South Qualifying Cup. It has been called the South Challenge Cup for a decade and a half. It is a cup for clubs in the south part of the pyramid. What else could it be called? I suppose you might drop the 'Challenge' bit and just call it the South Cup!

In practice cup names tend to get adjusted according to sponsor preferences anyway. (Last season it was officially the SoccerShop Challenge Cup with the 'South' bit dropped).

It's rarely had a sponsor unfortuantely. I think SoccerShop was the first.  For all we know they'll end up announcing something as part of the draw next week that will change the name again.

Name hasn't bothered me too much. I might have considered changing it to the Scottish Lowlands Challenge Cup instead of South Region Challenge Cup. Since more people have come to understand the split in geography as Highland/Lowland and not North/South.

At this point it doesn't really matter too much as the lingering feeling is for a national non-league trophy rather than the branding of what's already there. When that happens i'd rather a shield or quaich to be different.

6 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Aren't the SJFA still hopeful of running a national cup from Level 5 downwards - I assume instead of the Junior Cup?

In a blurb from the new SJFA head it was said there were talks over a new national non-league trophy, aiming for 2022-23. I can't remember if the idea was further mentioned by any of the WoSFL office holders on here. Either way it didn't sound like the SJFA would be running it to me if it happened.

10 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Aren't the SJFA still hopeful of running a national cup from Level 5 downwards - I assume instead of the Junior Cup?

Yes, but do you seriously think there's any chance of that actually happening now? There's no reason why it couldn't simply be done by the SFA if there was the level of agreement required between the various tier 5 and 6 pyramid league.

53 minutes ago, Cornishman said:

Nope... the imbecilic 'got' is the lazy abomination here. The lexicological equivalent of 'could of/would of'!

At the risk of going off on an irrelevant tangent, is there a reason why you are so attached to this particular archaism? Language changes, and this particular bit changed a few centuries ago!

32 minutes ago, Kicker Conspiracy said:

If you're American, maybe.

Both got and gotten existed as far back as Middle English. English speakers in North America preserved gotten as the past participle of got. Outside of North America, the shortened version became standard. I preserve ME in my lexicon re participles of 'get'. I consequently neither finish a phrase with 'of'... as in 'It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got a hold of', which s/b 'It is a sort of splendid torch of which I have gotten a hold'.

Guess it's how/where one learns the language.