South Challenge Cup 2021-22

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

There's a haphazard feel about this cup tournament. They need to get the format sorted and stick to it if it's to be taken seriously. In all fairness it hasn't had a proper run through yet in the new pyramid era.

Has it been haphazard?

It had been "all-in" since 2016-17 wth a final in May since 2014.

More the fact entry's quadrupled from 40 to 160 in 3yrs, latter half of it during a national emergency, IMO.

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Last season's was the biggest senior non league cup entry in about 150 years (well since the 1890s or something) - give it time ffs.

SQC 1893-94, IIRC... 127yrs.

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

There's a haphazard feel about this cup tournament. They need to get the format sorted and stick to it if it's to be taken seriously. In all fairness it hasn't had a proper run through yet in the new pyramid era.

I wonder who Talbot will play in the final?

35 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Looks like it may have gotten a sponsor.

The move to the Pyramid has been an absolute gift if you like a Twitter timeline filled with variations of the  "we have a banal piece of information but we're no telling you what it is yet" Tweet.  

15 hours ago, Shanner said:

The move to the Pyramid has been an absolute gift if you like a Twitter timeline filled with variations of the  "we have a banal piece of information but we're no telling you what it is yet" Tweet.  

Calm down, it's their first ever tweet from a brand new twitter account, let them get it publicised first before the draw and possible sponsor announcement :rolleyes:

Here's the regional split - looks like Campbeltown are in the draw.

E2dwJSDWQAE3eYk?format=jpg&name=medium

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Calm down, it's their first ever tweet from a brand new twitter account, let them get it publicised first before the draw and possible sponsor announcement :rolleyes:

It was mentioned the split was 40-40-40-41 so I think that's all of WoSFL Division 4 in it.

LL = 16, EoSFL = 58, WoSFL = 66+9, and SoSFL = 12

= 161

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

This map looks like a remarkably good way to carve up Tier 7 in the Lowland League area - except that the north-west would have little travelling to do (except for Campbeltown).

Edited by Dev

So two regionalised rounds to reduce 161 teams to 64 teams all-in from R3, meaning 33 teams eliminated in R1.

Which is same number of rounds of fixtures as it would be if it was 33 all-in ties in R1 reducing to 128 teams all-in for R2.

What's the point of regionalising it?

Not a fan.

^^ Gutted his local teams can't be drawn away to Campbeltown or Wigtown.

So two regionalised rounds to reduce 161 teams to 64 teams all-in from R3, meaning 33 teams eliminated in R1.

Which is same number of rounds of fixtures as it would be if it was 33 all-in ties in R1 reducing to 128 teams all-in for R2.

Not a fan.

I'm not entirely sure either, but I guess the excuse of difficulties with coach travel whilst there are still social distancing restrictions is reasonable. Hopefully only a one season thing.

13 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Not a fan.

Any tie over 50 miles is entitled to £150 in travel expenses, which then increases with greater distances.

Open draw across the first two rounds would be 97 games played, with the other 63 games to played after that. Looking at the first two rounds of 2020-21 if they had been played they would have been out of pocket a 5 figure sum.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

This map looks like a remarkably good way to carve up Tier 7 in the Lowland League area - except that the north-west would have little travelling to do (except for Campbeltown).

I’d suspect any further splits in regions to be further down than tier 7.

I know it’s probably more complicated based on roads etc,  but it fucking weird that there’s teams in the north east section who are both further south of  south east teams and further west than north/south west teams.

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I’d suspect any further splits in regions to be further down than tier 7.

I know it’s probably more complicated based on roads etc,  but it fucking weird that there’s teams in the north east section who are both further south of  south east teams and further west than north/south west teams.

I agree but it does look good on a map!

Wish I could watch games in every round, that would be great ! Really think that every  league and cup (this season) has to be suited toward sustainability of all clubs. Anything to cut down costs has to be applauded this season alone. Think this cup will grow in stature with the WOSFL clubs included, maybe level up with the Junior Cup one day ? I'm not sure tbh.

If you divided it purely by local authority areas you would have 39 teams in a certain zone; 43 in another; and so on which doesn't give everyone the same chance to reach R3. In former only 23 clubs are eliminated in R1 & R2; in latter 27.

Basically the zones are:

South-East Zone   (41)
Northumberland, Borders, Edinburgh, Lothians except Harthill + Linlithgow

North-East Zone   (40)
Fife, Clackmannanshire, Perth, Stirling, Falkirk, North Lanarkshire except Newmains + Wishaw
plus Harthill + Linlithgow

South-West Zone   (40)
Dumfries & Galloway, South + East Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire except Rutherglen
plus Newmains + Wishaw

North-West Zone   (40)
North Ayrshire, Inverclyde, Renfrewshires, Glasgow, Dunbartonshires, Argyll
plus Rutherglen

6 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

In any knockout cup: number of ties = number of clubs -1. Regardless of format/byes/regions/etc.

Winners are only club who don't lose 1 tie.

That's just maths, physics, whatever.