South Challenge Cup 2021-22

Bit of news on this front. The first couple of rounds are going to be regionalised. The draw taking place on Friday 4th June 2021.

With most of the leagues settled you're looking at 152-161 teams unless i'm missing something.

• 16 Lowland League
  • 58 East of Scotland
  • 66/75 West of Scotland (Uncertain whether WoSFL Fourth Division members will be participating in inter-league competition from last thing I saw on it.)
  • 12 South of Scotland

Since there's a couple of WoSFL office holders floating around, any news on if the new clubs are allowed to participate this year? @parkcircus

image.thumb.png.e20b1cd01e5f8961a20ee71649665d79.png

Edited by FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Bit of news on this front. The first couple of rounds are going to be regionalised. The draw taking place on Friday 4th June 2021.

With most of the leagues settled you're looking at 152-161 teams unless i'm missing something.

• 16 Lowland League
  • 58 East of Scotland
  • 66/75 West of Scotland (Uncertain whether WoSFL Fourth Division members will be participate in inter-league competition from last thing I saw on it.)
  • 12 South of Scotland

Since there's a couple of WoSFL office holders floating around, any news on if the new clubs are allowed to participate this year? @parkcircus

image.thumb.png.e20b1cd01e5f8961a20ee71649665d79.png

Fourth division members should be at least invited as quite a few of them would want to participate, St peters and Harthill for example and get a feeling with a good draw they could go on for a couple of rounds

11 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Pity that it's been regionalised.  The good thing about the SCC was it's all-in nature, this devalues it IMO, clubs not consulted either.

It hasn't always been. 

I'd imagine it's about the costs if they're still covering travel 50+ miles. As within a West/East split most games will fall within 50 miles. 

13 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Pity that it's been regionalised.  The good thing about the SCC was it's all-in nature, this devalues it IMO, clubs not consulted either.

Possibly just looking to cut travel as much as possible while we'll still be in some kind of lockdown.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It hasn't always been. 

I'd imagine it's about the costs if they're still covering travel 50+ miles. As within a West/East split most games will fall within 50 miles. 

I appreciate that it hasn't always been, but given it's not a Scotland wide competition, to then regionalise it seems strange.   Covid doesn't appear to be a reason either, just number of clubs.

7 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

I appreciate that it hasn't always been, but given it's not a Scotland wide competition, to then regionalise it seems strange.   Covid doesn't appear to be a reason either, just number of clubs.

With the introduction of the WoSFL and other clubs the number of games more than  doubled and took on a wider geographic spread. The costs have gone up dramatically, doesn't appear to have a sponsor this year, and there was no final for the last two competitions to top up the Committee's fund.

It just appears to be a pragmatic decision to save some money on travel payments.

With them going open draw last year. I don't see why they won't return to that format after this season.

Maybe the rationale is that a series of regional rounds can double up with those for a league cup competition to help address some of the fixture congestion that the WoS and EoS are facing with temporarily expanded premier divisions?

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 minute ago, Dev said:

Will the Lowland and maybe the Premier Division clubs and SoS top clubs be somehow exempted from the regionalised round(s)?

I don't see how that would work since the Third Round will have 64 teams in it. There's 66 teams between the LL, SoSFL, WoS Premier, and EoS Premier.

The first and second rounds are likely to be open draw in the West section and open draw in the East section. No preferential treatment. With the all in taking place in for the Third Round.

If you're doing it on the tier 6 boundaries, I make it West 84 - 5 LL, 12 SOS, 66 WOS (+ Harthill) and East 69 - 11 LL, 58 EOS.

A shame but I suppose while everything gets back to normal it isn't a bad idea. Just hope the big guns avoid each other in the opening rounds so there can be some east v west ties in the third round.

6 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

If you're doing it on the tier 6 boundaries, I make it West 84 - 5 LL, 12 SOS, 66 WOS (+ Harthill) and East 69 - 11 LL, 58 EOS.

A shame but I suppose while everything gets back to normal it isn't a bad idea. Just hope the big guns avoid each other in the opening rounds so there can be some east v west ties in the third round.

Considering they went all in last season BCD. I think this is just purely financial. With no final since 2019 and no sponsor they've probably burnt through a lot of their treasury.

Disappointing as being "all-in" gives more inter-league interest/variety, but probably understandable given current situation and lack of government clarity beyond June 28th.

Seemingly it's due to uncertainties over costs and logistics e.g. capacity on buses. Travel is generously subsidised in this cup and leagues cover the difference after sponsorship/etc.

Majority of clubs get bye in R1 so for most it'll only mean 1 regional tie and then "all-in".

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

There's a haphazard feel about this cup tournament. They need to get the format sorted and stick to it if it's to be taken seriously. In all fairness it hasn't had a proper run through yet in the new pyramid era.

Last season's was the biggest senior non league cup entry in about 150 years (well since the 1890s or something) - give it time ffs.

Edited by cmontheloknow

6 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

I'd hope the blazers would at least ask the new clubs (East and West) if they would like to take part in the cup competition.

The new EoSFL clubs are in already.

There's only some uncertainty over the WoSFL Division 4 lot. Since the original intention seems to be only to include them in WoSFL competitions. Which is/has by now gotten looked into. 

Regions are - North/West, North/East, South/West & South/East with 40 clubs in each (41 in S/E)

WoSFL Division 4 Clubs will be included but only those that have a ground that meets agreed criteria will be allowed to play at home.