Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee United's next permanent manager?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Pep Guardiola's first job was manager of Barcelona B before he took over the first team.

It's no 'minter' at all to promote from within if you believe you have an outstanding candidate, HOWEVER, that Ashgar doing so would almost by default mean a promotion for his own kid makes all this seen very fucking suspect!

Not sure the Guardiola comparison stands up to much scrutiny.

22 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Pep Guardiola's first job was manager of Barcelona B before he took over the first team.

It's no 'minter' at all to promote from within if you believe you have an outstanding candidate, HOWEVER, that Ashgar doing so would almost by default mean a promotion for his own kid makes all this seen very fucking suspect!

Which he won the league with them. What has Courts done with the youth team? Aren't they second or third bottom ? 

Difference with Guardiola/Gerard etc was these are guys who played at the highest level. Based on that experience and stature they instantly commanded the respect of the dressing room.
Cathro never had that and was never respected.
Which is understandable in some ways. If you’re an experienced pro it’s natural that you’re going to be a bit sceptical of a guy of a similar age to you who’s not kicked a ball at full time level in his life telling you how to do your job.
If the shit starts to hit the fan will the players listen to Courts or throw him under the bus?

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I get that we're all bored of seeing the same old faces knocking about the game, but do United have to be such fucking hipsters about this?

Their logic is a bit weird.

Understand if they want to promote youth a lot, but I'm entirely sure that means they have to hire a youth coach aswell.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Difference with Guardiola/Gerard etc was these are guys who played at the highest level. Based on that experience and stature they instantly commanded the respect of the dressing room.
Cathro never had that and was never respected.
Which is understandable in some ways. If you’re an experienced pro it’s natural that you’re going to be a bit sceptical of a guy of a similar age to you who’s not kicked a ball at full time level in his life telling you how to do your job.
If the shit starts to hit the fan will the players listen to Courts or throw him under the bus?

I understand what you're saying with Cathro, but he was what 29 and never seemed to have much presence about him.

Courts is 39 (I think) and I'm sure the club would know if he would be respected by the players by now. I'm not advocating for him, btw, just not dismissing the concept of promoting from within.

Lots of managers these days without much of a playing career - Klopp, Tuchel and Mourinho spring to mind.

I can tell you this, some folk around Tannadice are absolutely not bothered about the possibility of Courts and Asghar taking over and others are only slightly worried about the prospect. 

Certainly not voicing any concerns about them as coaches more what's been outlined by posters here about balancing using the youth with experience. 

Given James McPake was coaching the youths at Dundee before being given the manager's job, I think that's the joke, my man

4 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Yeah, I’d take Guardiola at United.

On 27/05/2021 at 20:25, Aladdin said:

I don't have any energy to seethe over any managerial appointment anymore. As has been shown since Jim McLean, whoever we pick will likely be sacked in around 2 years time. Maybe sooner, maybe later.

We have some decent youths that fans wanted to see more of in the last 10 months. Whether or not they are good enough or can be organised by a glorified juniors coach, time will tell.

Its a good laugh, isn't it.

Yes.