Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee United's next permanent manager?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Torn between being relieved that we've not got him, but pissed that anyone would consider employing the racist f**k!

Not as pissed as I am at you using that Americanism.

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Think we need to move on this. With the backlash from County fans about McKay we could end up missing out on Courts if we aren't careful 

Yeah would be terrible if we delayed and he made an emotional return to Kelty Hearts or we were gazumped by the Boars Rock pub team. 

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Torn between being relieved that we've not got him, but pissed that anyone would consider employing the racist f**k!

Racism is not an impediment to securing a position of authority.  The PM being an example.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Racism is not an impediment to securing a position of authority.  The PM being an example.

Interestingly Johnson's response to an independent inquiry finding that his comments were unacceptable was the same as MacKay's, both giving the "I am sorry if you have been offended by my comments", not, "My comments are offensive and I apologise for them"

5 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think we owe a debt of gratitude to Ross County. However badly this appointment goes we can all take solace in the fact that at least we didn't hire Malky. 

On this occasion.

I imagine he will be available again round about the time our new manager leaves.

Speaks volumes that he held such an 'important' position at the SFA.

Totally obvious he was holding out for the Scotland job then he seen the backlash and thought f'ck I better take it easy for a few years before slithering into another manager gig.

Anyway it's a bit weird why Mellon is leaving. He didn't do a bad job at all. If the DOF rumours are true that makes sense.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7169111/dundee-unted-tam-courts-micky-mellon-successor/

Fully expecting this to work out for United as it's usually pish like this that tends to for them, but it certainly is a gamble. Not too different to the one we made though tbh

The youth academy will need to step up to the plate if so, considering what PartyFears suggested on the other thread.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

This sort of thing seemed to always be on the cards given the post-match comments from Courts when he had to take the team when Mellon was isolating.

He very much seemed to be throwing Mellon and his tactics under the bus, and I thought at the time that it was basically the start of a bit of a coup behind the scenes from the sort of analytics folk. It all seemed a bit snakey and underhand to me - I think there are some odd individuals behind the scenes at United.

10 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Probably. Though giving the gig to his young lad and his mate is as much about the Fat Controller consolidating his position as it is about penny pinching.

Not sure how making a deeply unpopular appointment would strengthen Asghar's hand at all. More likely to utterly destroy his relationship with his boss than strengthen it.

Do United even have any outstanding youth players?

I mean, Lewis Neilson seem very highly rated yet was regularly looking lost when played in the top flight, and folk like Fotheringham and Mochrie didn't seem to blow League One away.

There needs to be a balance so it'll be interesting to see where United plant that flag.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do United even have any outstanding youth players?

I mean, Lewis Neilson seem very highly rated yet was regularly looking lost when played in the top flight, and folk like Fotheringham and Mochrie didn't seem to blow League One away.

There needs to be a balance so it'll be interesting to see where United plant that flag.

It remains to be seen how they develop but, yeah, I think so. I'm not sure how many games you've watched of any of those three you mentioned (I'm going to guess you saw Neilson making his debut against the Johnnies and that's probably it) but those who have watched them over a period of time would probably disagree with your assessment. 

If I had to guess then I reckon that Mochrie, Neilson and Smith are all going to go on to play at a higher level (possibly a much higher level) Meekison, Fotheringham and Glass all have a decent chance of joining them. Chalmers and Appere are bit older but both could still develop into good/ very good players.

The issue for me is not whether we should be focusing on the youth (we should,  imo) but whether a young, inexperienced coach with no playing career of note is the right the guy to be in charge of the first team.