Dundee United's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee United's next permanent manager?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I said previously, I dont have the energy to get worked up about this.  I just want to get back to a day out at the football.

Since Jim, the majority of experienced managers we have appointed have been shite.  The majority of up and coming, fashionable new faces have been shite.  Should Courts ultimately prove to be a failure, he'll hardly be bucking any trends.

I actually don't give a f**k about Courts per se.

I'm looking for some confidence that this is part of a long term strategy with a plan and a system that all coaches and players in the club are bought into and not just a cheap quick fix/jobs for the boys.

I would have preferred a more experienced no2 too

1 minute ago, Aladdin said:

As I said previously, I dont have the energy to get worked up about this.  I just want to get back to a day out at the football.

Since Jim, the majority of experienced managers we have appointed have been shite.  The majority of up and coming, fashionable new faces have been shite.  Should Courts ultimately prove to be a failure, he'll hardly be bucking any trends.

Exactly, it's a gamble but every appointment is.

16 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Before I say my piece, I'm not saying I support this move,. BUT some of the comment have been fucking ridiculous! Also in no way am I comparing Courts with any other manager/coach past or present.

I have no idea of Tam Court's abilities so cannot say if he is any good or not (lets face neither do the vast majority commenting, but we're football fans and having a clue has never stopped us commenting before!). He is highly thought of though.

We need someone with experience is the cry and yes having an experienced head is good IF that head has the ability. I have no issue with an "unknown" being promoted if they have ability, after all you can't get experience if you don't do the job, you can't do the job if you don't have experience.

This is either going to be brilliant or a disaster, there will be no happy medium. We do have a few "reactionary" fans who subscribe to a lot of conspiracy theories about the running of the club and lets be honest Courts will get no time at all as the opinions of him have already been made, he is on a hiding to nothing. Also fans in general, especially in these days of forums and social media, seem to have no patience ( we are all guilty to some degrees of this) so if the first few weeks are not good the knives will really be out.

This is where I'm not comparing abilities, just making a point regarding the differences in fans "then & now". When Jim was appointed manager he had approximately 18 months grand total experience as a coach. We were mid table for next 4 years, a 4th place finish, 1 cup final & near relegated 1st season of the Premier, then the results of the hard work & his master plan really took off and the rest is history.

If the forums had been around then we'd have had a massive melt down then.

Courts has more coaching experience.than Jim did. Not saying he has and I doubt anyone would assume or expect anywhere near the ability of Jim. Just making the point that not everyone with no experience will be a disaster & that managerial/head coach appointments don't always go as predicted. 

We have fans demanding that players with no experience should be in the team, but not a manager.

For me I would prefer someone with a track record I could look up and take confidence from, we aren't getting that, but we've had managers in the past with track records that we were probably happy with, but didn't work out. 

TL:DR

Not getting the pitchforks out like some, he'll get my support, hopefully he'll work out and grow into the job & it'll be viewed as a masterstroke. Would prefer a track record but again no guarantees. If it is going disasterously wrong I hope remedial action is taken quick enough.

I agree with all of this but it looks foolhardy from the outside. You're absolutely right that experience is no guarantee of success but at least it gives you an understanding of the process and the environment and probably buys a bit of time with the players and the fans. If you're an experienced player and Craig Levein walks in the door, you might not like him or his methods but you'll at least recognise that he probably knows more than you do about the game and about management. Hard for Courts to get that credit having never played, coached or managed at any sort of level. It won't matter how good a coach he is if the players aren't listening to him.

No matter how Utd try to sell this appointment it is the cheap option and a massive gamble. If we get off to a poor start i expect the supporters will make their feelings clear very quickly and i would expect most of the anger if this happens to be towards Asghar and not the management team

55 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Not particularly happy about it but regardless, these guys need the full backing of the support. Cant blame them for taking the job, if anything the hate should be aimed at fat Tony. These two will be fighting a losing battle if they have the fans on their back from day one

Indeed. Fans are clearly going to have less patience in what appears to be a massive gamble than a tried and trusted appointment - rightly or wrongly.

You are right though in that if they fail, it'll be the board who will be the target of the fan's fury. 

Pretty much my position. I hope the fans get behind Courts, as if he fails Dundee United fail. It's a gamble for sure, but given our recent record with managerial appointments, who isn't?

6 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

No matter how Utd try to sell this appointment it is the cheap option and a massive gamble. If we get off to a poor start i expect the supporters will make their feelings clear very quickly and i would expect most of the anger if this happens to be towards Asghar and not the management team

However if it works and you are doing well....the cheap option worked and abody is happy . Big gamble. I'm just looking more towards all the hate of when his name got mentioned. Even had fans thought straight away it was a lot of shite. But you then get the fans dosnt matter who is in charge they just want to watch football regardless of who is in charge. 

I love football 

This was a shite appointment.

This was an inspirational appointment.

This post will be edited in October/November.

In truth I think it’s the cheap option and/or a way for people to retain influence or control.  I am not enthused but will be delighted to be proven wrong.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was hoping for Mourinho too, but he's going to Roma.

I fucking hate Mourinho.

I take a coaching staff of McNamara, Mixu and Neilson who insist on playing Pawlett every week before I’d have that Portuguese p***k at United.

2 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Was twitter.  And a majority of twitter at that. 

Only one  poster we had was someone calling your own fans idiots 

If it was on Twitter and not P&B why not respond on Twitter?