Scottish Football Clubs by Population

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Caledonian Braves playing out of Motherwell is a bit of an anomaly...absolutely nowhere near Motherwell and much closer to Bothwell, Bellshill or Hamilton

That was a weird yin. Everything I seen says Alliance Park's address is Motherwell but the maps say otherwise. Usually I would have went with the name of the team, or where they were originally based but... it's Edusport. Was always on a loser with that one.

3 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

That was a weird yin. Everything I seen says Alliance Park's address is Motherwell but the maps say otherwise. Usually I would have went with the name of the team, or where they were originally based but... it's Edusport. Was always on a loser with that one.

Aye agreed...I've no idea why they address it as a Motherwell park

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

What map are you looking at?

it is clearly in Strathclyde Park which is Motherwell.

Bothwell and Hamilton can stay on their side of the M74. And Bellshill can stay on its side of the East Coast Mainline. Bad enough their golf course encroaches into our territory.

11 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

What map are you looking at?

it is clearly in Strathclyde Park which is Motherwell.

Bothwell and Hamilton can stay on their side of the M74. And Bellshill can stay on its side of the East Coast Mainline. Bad enough their golf course encroaches into our territory.

image.png.85ae4137e201f0c107753997493dbd35.png

Just going as the crow flies.

Also.. what's an "Orbiston"?

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

image.png.85ae4137e201f0c107753997493dbd35.png

Just going as the crow flies.

Also.. what's an "Orbiston"?

So that point isn't historically part of motherwell but definitely inside the current boundaries. And that has to do with the creation of Strathclyde park.

There was a village pretty much where M&Ds and the western part of the loch is now called Bothwellhaugh but that relied on a mine that became unviable so the who thing was demolished in order to create the park and the motorway.  Now everything in the park north of the Clyde is in Motherwell.  So there is no crow flying, it is already in motherwell

Orbiston is the name of the scheme in Bellshill enclosed by Hamilton Rd and Crossgate, the triangular part in the top right of your picture with the golf club.

Had to look up the origin of Orbiston. Apparently it is the name of the larger estate in which Bothwellhaugh and associated mine was located.

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/James_Hamilton_(assassin)

• 2 months later...
I had a particularly boring period at work this week doing training so made a big list of all the towns in Scotland and all the clubs in the pyramid and came up with an ugly spreadsheet for you all to enjoy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16j3XFB0PfrVsKj3k_8eBzLCVOE5mh3-ZQiYvlUxzoXs/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if ye spot any obvious mistakes

Only just seen this, what a great piece of work, I spent far longer than I should have, over my lunch break, looking up some of the old grounds and towns that we’ve visited over the years across the country. Many thanks.

• 1 year later...

Has someone (surely) calculated Scotlands best supported team? I started looking because something like 1/5 of the population of Motherwell attend Fir Park on a regular basis yet across the river clyde, Hamilton with a much larger population have an average attendance 1/15 of the population. Surely as we go down the leagues and average home gates we might find a team that more than 1 in 5 of the town go to see their team on a Saturday? I think Motherwell would come out top. Crowds of over 6k in a town of 30k, incredible 

Chester City apparently have a west Stand that's technically in Wales and the Estádio Milton Corrêa in equatorial Brazil has one half in each hemisphere I think the historic Edinburgh Leith boundary left one of Hibs corner flags in the City and three in the port.

Are there any Scottish stadia that straddle existing boundaries?

On 07/02/2023 at 19:58, Graemesc said:

Has someone (surely) calculated Scotlands best supported team? I started looking because something like 1/5 of the population of Motherwell attend Fir Park on a regular basis yet across the river clyde, Hamilton with a much larger population have an average attendance 1/15 of the population. Surely as we go down the leagues and average home gates we might find a team that more than 1 in 5 of the town go to see their team on a Saturday? I think Motherwell would come out top. Crowds of over 6k in a town of 30k, incredible 

Ross County, surely?

The population of Dingwall is 5,491, according to Wikipedia (as of today). Of course, one could argue that they represent the whole of Ross-shire, and certainly they will attract support from further afield. 

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Shawfield did.

Easter Road did as well IIRC.

EDIT: also Hampden was originally in Renfrewshire - but came into Glasgow when Edwardians adjusted county boundaries.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Chester City apparently have a west Stand that's technically in Wales and the Estádio Milton Corrêa in equatorial Brazil has one half in each hemisphere I think the historic Edinburgh Leith boundary left one of Hibs corner flags in the City and three in the port.

I don't think it straddles but Holm Park home of Yoker & Clydebank is in West Dunbartonshire by a bawhair.

Edited by GNU_Linux

14 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I don't think it straddles but Holm Park home of Yoker & Clydebank is in West Dunbartonshire by a bawhair.

That's a 150m long bawhair to be precise...

Other grounds close to council boundaries include Caley Braves, Culter, Aberdeen's proposed new stadium, Harmony Row, Harthill, and Gartscube which seems to be split across the Clyde so partly outside the Glasgow boundary.

• 2 months later...
On 24/05/2021 at 16:12, HibeeJibee said:

Figures are for localities in last census.

It appears Erskine, Helensburgh, Milngavie, Giffnock, Clarkston and Bonnybridge are now the biggest places without a team in the pyramid.

Entry of Campbeltown to next season's West of Scotland League means every mainland local authority area is now represented. Orkney will also join the party - if North Caledonian joins up under HL.

Giffnock Sports Club FC now taking over Harmony Row FC this summer according to the Wosfl forum and moving to Giffnock.