Least experienced player to be capped for Scotland

Ya Bezzer!

Since Nathan Patterson has been called up to the Scotland squad for the Euros and could possibly be capped after having played only 7 league matches  I was wondering if there are any other examples of players being capped for the full Scotland side, in the modern era, with less than 10 league starts or widening it out a bit, relatively few league appearances?

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

18 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Since Nathan Patterson has been called up to the Scotland squad for the Euros and could possibly be capped after having played only 7 league matches  I was wondering if there are any other examples of players being capped  for the full Scotland side, in the modern era, with less than 10 league starts or widening it out a bit, relatively few league appearances?

You're getting a bit ahead of things there.

Kenny Dalglish would be the  most obvious candidate. I can't find the figures anywhere but I'm sure he hadn't played that many times for Celtic before he was capped for Scotland (almost certainly more that 7 though). No one else jumps to mind as a possibility. Maybe an obscure name from  the early days of international football.

8 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

the Vogts era will have a few, surely?

8 hours ago, AJF said:

In recent history I think only Tierney would be close. I think he'd played 18 league matches for Celtic before making his Scotland debut.

Widening out for 2000-2010...

Darren Fletcher had 2 appearances.

Michael Stewart = 8.

Steven Caldwell = 10.

Kevin Kyle = 11.

Gary Caldwell (about) 16.

Brian Kerr = 17.

Paul Gallagher = 19.

David Marshall (about) 19.

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 2 months later...
On 28/08/2021 at 09:18, Bully Wee Villa said:

How many players have played for Scotland without ever having played top flight football first? Must be a few, I'd have thought?

Early 2000s must be rich pickings here. A quick check shows Warren Cummings, Scott Dobie and Graeme Murty all fit the bill.