League Two 2021/22

I can see Kelty winning it, most of their squad came from league 1 or above already,

Stranraer, Stirling, Edinburgh, for the playoffs, always solid teams and I think will be taking points off each other regularly to allow Kelty to shoot ahead.

Elgin, I think might just miss out though they may make the playoff, I definitely think they will spend the season flirting with a too 4 finish

Forfar may stop the rot after a poor season and finish a solid midtable, but a bit of an unknown quantity for me as to how they will react

Stenny seen to be signing alot of players from lowland league so it could go either way, their manager came in for the rovers job a couple times (once beaten to it by John Brogan) might work out for them, might not, from what I heard they offered everyone and their dog a contract. One being Rovers captain Aaron Lynas.

Rovers have made quite a few signings early and are all but a couple players away from having a full squad, hopfully we get a better start than we have done in previous seasons, a run in the Scottish cup would be good this year, last 3 seasons have involved a home loss to Buckie 3-0. A home loss to airdrie 4-1 after a home draw to Fort William and a home loss to Formartine 2-0

Annan and Cowdenbeath have ended up worse than us this season somehow and I would hope we can finish above both again this year, not seen anything in the way of signings, so not sure how strong their squads will be

On 23/05/2021 at 19:17, San Starko Rover said:

Aye still early but I’d be surprised if you did a nosedive, I’d expect mid table at worst but probably playoffs, League 1 had some decent teams in it this season Dumbarton were Championship until very recently and were 9th and a big name like Falkirk obviously took a few beatings You weren’t cut adrift at the bottom until near the end. Station Park is always a tough place to go to and get an away win. Best of luck next season to you guys.

We had one player left from those times and absolutely none of the outlook that kept us there so long.

Posted this in our thread but relevant here I guess:

Edinburgh City

https://www.edinburghcityfc.com/2021/05/26/squad-update/

Few surprises in here, delighted Liam Brown is staying on and taking that as a very positive sign of our ambition next season. Surely everyone in L1 would have been sniffing about?

Genuinely a bit sad we don’t get an opportunity to say goodbye and thanks to Marc Laird, goes down as one of our best ever and we’d have been relegated that first season if not for him. A brilliant player.

Thought Black would get another year but pretty clear Naysmith looking for something akin to a clean slate.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/231232-Edinburgh-City/page__view__findpost__p__14487915

38 minutes ago, AllyMonc said:

Posted this in our thread but relevant here I guess:

Edinburgh City

https://www.edinburghcityfc.com/2021/05/26/squad-update/

Few surprises in here, delighted Liam Brown is staying on and taking that as a very positive sign of our ambition next season. Surely everyone in L1 would have been sniffing about?

Genuinely a bit sad we don’t get an opportunity to say goodbye and thanks to Marc Laird, goes down as one of our best ever and we’d have been relegated that first season if not for him. A brilliant player.

Thought Black would get another year but pretty clear Naysmith looking for something akin to a clean slate.

https://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/applications/tapatalk/index.php?/topic/231232-Edinburgh-City/page__view__findpost__p__14487915

Yeah, I seen this earlier today and Liam Brown remaining is excellent news and as you correctly point out, a sign of ambition going into the new season. Hopefully the club are close to announcing something regarding Liam Henderson considering they've been so open about ongoing negotiations.

I would like to get Josh Campbell back for next season as well, although Hibs have the link with Stenny, so not sure how that plays out going forward?

Naysmith has a bit of a rebuild on his hands but retaining  Crane, See, McIntyre, Jardine, Handling and Blair Henderson is a start.

At first glance you'd expect Kelty Hertz to absolutely piss it next season, but then I thought they'd destroy Brechin on both legs of the final and they only just scraped by the worst team in the league, so who knows?

I always respect Stirling Albion as they have potential to be the biggest club in this division.

Elgin City always a top team will go close, as well Stranraer and probably ourselves in Edinburgh.

That said, that's going off last seasons form.

At this point in time there's no point guessing, as nobody knows what signings each team will make.

Let's enjoy the summer first.

17 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

At first glance you'd expect Kelty Hertz to absolutely piss it next season, but then I thought they'd destroy Brechin on both legs of the final and they only just scraped by the worst team in the league, so who knows?

I always respect Stirling Albion as they have potential to be the biggest club in this division.

Elgin City always a top team will go close, as well Stranraer and probably ourselves in Edinburgh.

At this point in time there's no point guessing, as nobody knows what signings each team will make.

Kelty certainly aren’t a Cove, but if they get the checkbook  out they could well run away with the league, not with their current squad though.

Shoulld be an interesting season, let’s hope we can all get to watch our teams.

It’s all about cash. It’s not difficult to outspend most league 2 clubs. All you need is a short term cash flow. Ambition is easy when it’s backed up with cold, hard cash. Every club in football is ambitious. Some have constraints to that ambition due to short/middle/ long term economic issues. That’s the reality. People talk about finding your level. That I’m afraid is absolute tosh. Levels are and always will be temporary.

So most teams seem to have started making some transfer moves, or sign any free agents that move in Stenny's case, and squads are starting to take shape.

The one interesting thing is that Kelty with the change of manager haven't been active. They do have a great squad on paper, but a few of their players are getting on a bit. They could still maybe pull something out of the bag with signings.

Behind them I think ourselves, Edinburgh, Elgin, Stranraer, Stirling and Stenny would all be expecting to be pushing towards the top of the table.

Given how they performed last season the 3 of Annan, Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath will all be looking to do better and will all be thinking there's no real reason why they can't push for playoffs (at the right end)

Think it has the potential to be an exciting season, no clear favourites for bottom, although maybe others with a bit more knowledge of this league will think otherwise.

• 1 month later...

Meh, just gonna stick my prediction in here just for a bit of fun.

1st. Kelty Hearts
2nd. Forfar Athletic
3rd. Stirling Albion
4th. Elgin City
5th. Edinburgh City
6th. Stenhousemuir
7th. Stranraer
8th. Albion Rovers
9th. Annan Athletic
10th. Cowdenbeath

My total and utter stab in the dark would be:

1st - Kelty Hearts

2nd - Stirling Albion

3rd - Forfar Athletic

4th - Elgin City

5th - Stenhousemuir

6th - Edinburgh City

7th - Albion Rovers

8th - Stranraer

9th - Annan Athletic

10th - Cowdenbeath

Kelty

Stirling

Elgin

Cowden 

City 

Forfar

Stranraer

Stenny

Albion Rovers

Annan

Of course Ed City could finish bottom..it'll be a tight League. There won't be anyone utterly dogshite.

Some may raise eyebrows at the Blue Brazil being placed 4th but I've a wee feeling they might do quite well. So that's you Fife fuds jinxed then 😝