Favourite toys growing up.

As a young lad I loved Hero Quest and Space Crusade. That then got me into the Games Workshop franchise where I collected Orks, Dark Angels, and Chaos.

Games Workshop is notoriously expensive and so it wasn’t too much of a surprise when a bunch of my mates got caught shoplifting from the Ayr store. That put an end to that hobby.

Picked it up again when lockdown hit, 25 years later.

1936A9F5-59DF-4BA9-8B64-993CFF51B531.jpeg

Edited by mathematics

Another one that was popular for a while as a last-day-of-term game. Absolute scenes when you battered your mate on the stairs just as victory was almost in the bag.

ae46d80fb36a3977a45d01099e3bb581.jpg

Maybe more obscure, but I absolutely loved this game when I was a tot. Really caught my imagination, and had big 3D Monster Maze/Theseus and the Minotaur vibes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvWYanbU5jGMjt6aY3UvQ

0936552dbf16672caa44fdcc6a2c0383.jpg

Lego and a marble (and some haberdashery).  I used to make goalposts and a bar, along with two top stanchions coming out from where the bar and posts met out of various sized Lego pieces.  My mum gave me some muslin type very fine curtain which used to be the net. A marble would be the ball, my right index and fore fingers would 'kick' said ball and my left hand would be goalie.  I provided a class level of commentary and crowd noise, imo.

Was never into Warhammer stuff, but I knew a few folk who were, and really appreciated the skill that went into painting the wee figures. Always found it a bit weird how hyper-fascist the universe was, with plenty of religious devotion thrown in, and it seemed to be played very straight. The folk who were really into it certainly didn't appreciate anybody taking the piss out of the lore.

I could never really get into Hero Quest or Space Crusade either, but one that did grab my attention was Space Hulk, probably because of the obvious Alien influences. Nothing like the tension of your Overwatched marine being swarmed by Xenomorphs Genestealers with the constant threat that his gun would jam.

Years ago, there was a really nice unofficial Space Hulk freeware computer game being developed by the Jupiter Hell people, but Games Workshop are notoriously litigious when it comes to their IP, so they had to change everything and release it as "Alien Assault" instead. They did, however, sneak out a final build of the Space Hulk version that certain posters could be persuaded to provide a link to via PM, if it's of interest to anyone  :whistle

SH1st.jpg

36 minutes ago, N5 Spur said:

Lego and a marble (and some haberdashery).

I actually thought this was going to be one of those "We got an orange and a walnut for Christmas and we were grateful!"-type posts!

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

I actually thought this was going to be one of those "We got an orange and a walnut for Christmas and we were grateful!"-type posts!

I could have gone down the 'brought up by a single parent who came over to London in the mid-1950s to escape poverty from Italian peasantry, in an inner London council flat, with my arse hanging out of my hand-me-down trousers, holes in my plimsolls' line but I thought I'd save that for another thread. 

12 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I collected corinthian football figures(big heads) when I was a kid .lockdown first time round I dug them out the loft and started collecting again. They are now displayed in my man cave  .

16222325994394440585863448888249.jpg

11 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Yes I've saw him and bought a few off him .cheers. I was a wrestler fan aswell .

Get away!

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Another one that was popular for a while as a last-day-of-term game. Absolute scenes when you battered your mate on the stairs just as victory was almost in the bag.

ae46d80fb36a3977a45d01099e3bb581.jpg

Maybe more obscure, but I absolutely loved this game when I was a tot. Really caught my imagination, and had big 3D Monster Maze/Theseus and the Minotaur vibes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvWYanbU5jGMjt6aY3UvQ

0936552dbf16672caa44fdcc6a2c0383.jpg

Why does Frankenstein look like Roy Aitken?

3 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Why does Frankenstein look like Roy Aitken?

They couldn't get the image rights for Boris Karloff, and Roy was the next obvious choice.