Favourite toys growing up.

This was the first games console in the house. Including the gun (which was shit).F928EE88-CCDE-4B1F-9E89-57197A216269.jpeg.cefe97512f258d20ccde8d5b9a6896b0.jpeg

Before my ZX Spectrum (48k none of this fucking 128k posh nonsense) I got Astrowars.  Found it in my old boys house a few years back, popped some batteries in and away she went.  Still going strong.

7A639D68-98E2-483A-9D87-AF82A3A01202.thumb.jpeg.7e658d51e3457a74f912435d57498e02.jpeg

When the wean was a nipper, the wife found a Masters of the Universe DVD and brought it home for nostalgia, and the wee man was absolutely transfixed. Had to get the rest of the DVDs for him. It stands up surprisingly well, considering that it was purely designed to shift toys. He-Man always seemed like a good c**t, with his cheesy morality lessons at the end.

Found one of the maroon Tomytronic things a year or two back - amazing how much they're worth these days, considering you can pick up a (far superior) Nintendo Game & Watch for about £15.

a-guide-to-the-nintendo-game-watch-handh

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Had a 48K Spectrum when I was wee, and it's still the best computer I've ever owned. I don't care that it couldn't even play Doom.

I had the fucking Subbuteo grandstand, and I was utter shite at the game. Don't ever look up how much that stuff is worth now unless you enjoy greeting.

Tomy Super Cup Football was the tits, although the wee balls were awful for pinging off into cracks in the floorboards and suchlike. Came across one in a charity shop years ago, and you'd better believe it got bought!

Super Cup Football was the ideal take a game in on the last day of school game. 

IIRC I painted some figures for it - motherwell, Cameroon and Nigeria

Edit: also +1 for rubber key speccy

Edited by madwullie

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Super Cup Football was the ideal take a game in on the last day of school game. 

IIRC I painted some figures for it - motherwell, Cameroon and Nigeria

Edit: also +1 for rubber key speccy

Literally the first time I ever saw one! One of the kids in my class brought it in, and the teacher had to institute a queuing system.

Right on the Christmas list as soon as I got home  :P

Operation Thunderbolt was a cracker too.

Straying off-topic, but if we're talking light gun games, I'll absolutely buy a Beast Busters cabinet with the lottery winnings I'll never have. Those mounted uzi games were tremendous.

xT9NLA_IJyakHKQlVaVKD2YTs34YhZw2JNxWdTln

24 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

This was the first games console in the house. Including the gun (which was shit).F928EE88-CCDE-4B1F-9E89-57197A216269.jpeg.cefe97512f258d20ccde8d5b9a6896b0.jpeg

Before my ZX Spectrum (48k none of this fucking 128k posh nonsense) I got Astrowars.  Found it in my old boys house a few years back, popped some batteries in and away she went.  Still going strong.

7A639D68-98E2-483A-9D87-AF82A3A01202.thumb.jpeg.7e658d51e3457a74f912435d57498e02.jpeg

Astrowars was brilliant, still remember the wee tune it played.

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Being younger than the Subutteo generation aside from Fifa we just had those shitey figures you'd get with the chocolate.. used to have a few decent Rangers players back in the day but never got a full team. I used to enjoy playing with toy army men and would enjoy setting them up when they were considered a bit old fashioned so I've always been envious of the Subutteo generation. 

Wayne-Rooney-Corinthian-big-head.jpg

Powerpodz!

I remember being buzzing when I got a gold Batistuta.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Really feel for anyone who has never experienced a Subbuteo pitch inside a Scalectric track, surrounded by various Lego scenes.

A bit like Cowdenbeath then.

These scarred me so deeply as a tot that I still collect them today.

When I can, that is...the modern ones cost an absolute fucking fortune.

thirty-years-of-garbage-pail-kids-876-14

As a child I was utterly obsessed with dinosaurs so I loved my early learning center models when I was young and that was where most of my pocket money went. I think they started making the proper realistic looking ones just as I grew too old to bother with them. I had all of the ones pictured here and would spend half my time setting up dinosaur safari parks in the back garden, making them fight each other, drawing pictures of them etc.

I had quite an active imagination where dinosaurs were concerned.

dinos.jpg

2 hours ago, Stormzy said:

Being younger than the Subutteo generation aside from Fifa we just had those shitey figures you'd get with the chocolate.. used to have a few decent Rangers players back in the day but never got a full team. I used to enjoy playing with toy army men and would enjoy setting them up when they were considered a bit old fashioned so I've always been envious of the Subutteo generation. 

There was a Chinese restaurant near me that, inexplicably, had a load of these in a display cabinet. 

Anyway, on topic, I absolutely loved Lego growing up. I still build Lego models now, but it costs a fucking fortune.

18 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

There was a Chinese restaurant near me that, inexplicably, had a load of these in a display cabinet. 

Anyway, on topic, I absolutely loved Lego growing up. I still build Lego models now, but it costs a fucking fortune.

Yeah. I noticed that Star War Lego sets cost about £600. f**k that.

3 hours ago, Stormzy said:

Is that a Douglas Ross doll?

Why am I not surprised?

Sega Mega Drive was the console where I started to get into gaming but I was still meh about it overall. PlayStation is where gaming took off for me and I haven't looked back. An incredible piece of kit with lots of great games and then my favourite console came along (PS2) and I was completely hooked.

Other than consoles, Lego was probably the toy of my childhood and I could still waste hours playing with it today. The eldest enjoys it which is great as she's happy to sit for ages with me and go into a Lego world.