The robbery of Callum Davidson of manager of the year by Steven Gerrard

4 hours ago, bennett said:

Actually a lot of our younger fans have grown up without having experienced winning a major trophy but that's side tracking.

Won the league in early March against the quadruple treble winners by playing the best fitba that I've seen in Scotland since Advocaat's team. Unbeaten in 38 league games.

Unbeaten in the Europa group stages and through to the last 16.

Playing a huge part in upping Scotland's European coefficient rankings. 

I don't dispute any of this, but so they should with the resources at their disposal.

Your argument here just confirms my point (and I'm not having a pop at you in particular) ...... that OF fans just can't or won't appreciate or comprehend the perspective of non-OF fans. I know this first hand, I've lived and worked in the Glasgow area for over 30 years and discussed this with many OF fans and none of them ever get this, ever.

How many non-OF clubs will win both major cups in one season ...... the feat is almost meaninglessness to the OF.

I’m genuinely surprised that as many people are bothered by who wins the manager of the year this or any other season. If I was a St Johnstone fan I’d probably look at the positive that CD isn’t getting as much recognition as he should be.

44 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

More importantly can S##### G. prove he can do a more impressive belly flop slide than C.D. ?

Not quite as impressive as CD’s but almost!

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I don't dispute any of this, but so they should with the resources at their disposal.

Your argument here just confirms my point (and I'm not having a pop at you in particular) ...... that OF fans just can't or won't appreciate or comprehend the perspective of non-OF fans. I know this first hand, I've lived and worked in the Glasgow area for over 30 years and discussed this with many OF fans and none of them ever get this, ever.

How many non-OF clubs will win both major cups in one season ...... the feat is almost meaninglessness to the OF.

And bear in mind it's the Football Writers who vote for the manager of the year.  It's not too much of a stretch to think that most of them see Scottish football as having only 2 teams worth bothering about.

7 hours ago, bennett said:

An absolutely wonderful post, you can almost taste the salty tears.

Not at all, I mean Sevco & St Johnstone have had their greatest ever seasons and you watched it all from your armchair. That's why fans travel back from across the world to watch big games because watching it on the telly is pish..

St Johnstone had the advantage this season of having lots of experience playing in empty stadiums whilst Sevco players didn't have all those morons shouting at them...

I'm only joking though Saints. It's a brilliant achievement. And St Johnstone fans understand it's a freak season, unlike the sons of William who think this is the start that leads them to Champions League glory..

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I haven’t read through the entire thread and this may already have been mentioned, but this argument comes up nearly every year. Like most end of season awards these are all voted on around March, I believe, the argument  being that there is so much organisation required that it has to be started at that time. So every year, almost, you get Chick Young arguing that the manager of the Scottish Cup winners has to be voted Manager Of The Year, knowing full well that this is never, ever going to happen. Loads of pundits saying last week that IF St Johnstone win the Scottish Cup, then Callum Davidson has to be the Manager Of The Year. Of course, that would have meant starting the vote today. Never going to happen.

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I haven’t read through the entire thread and this may already have been mentioned, but this argument comes up nearly every year. Like most end of season awards these are all voted on around March, I believe, the argument  being that there is so much organisation required that it has to be started at that time. So every year, almost, you get Chick Young arguing that the manager of the Scottish Cup winners has to be voted Manager Of The Year, knowing full well that this is never, ever going to happen. Loads of pundits saying last week that IF St Johnstone win the Scottish Cup, then Callum Davidson has to be the Manager Of The Year. Of course, that would have meant starting the vote today. Never going to happen.

Hearts have won three scottish cups since the football writers award started but Csaba Laszlo remains the only hearts manager to win the award

9 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

A season like no other. About 1,000 fans in total watch 228 Premiership matches, a not particularly spectacular Sevco win the league without losing a match, and St Johnstone win the Cup double and no regular fans gets to see either final live.

In a way, I'm glad as an Aberdeen supporter that I have nothing to reflect back on fondly for season 2020/2021. The supporters are the lifeblood of the game and personal memories of Saints Cup double season or Sevco's unbeaten season will be sparse. Few reflections to pass down the generations. 

I watched the Scottish Cup final yesterday and for the first time wasn't jealous that my club wasn't involved. *

The honours list will forever include your club's name as the winner's but even for Saints fans, I think this season will soon fade from memory. 

Nevertheless, well done to Saints. 

*EDIT, Actually I forgot about the 2020 final which I also wasn't bothered about. That didn't even feel like a Scottish Cup Final. Six months after and its been erased from my mind. The era of the empty cup finals... 

Yes I’m sure saints will quickly forget their double winning season 😂

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

A season like no other. About 1,000 fans in total watch 228 Premiership matches, a not particularly spectacular Sevco win the league without losing a match, and St Johnstone win the Cup double and no regular fans gets to see either final live.

In a way, I'm glad as an Aberdeen supporter that I have nothing to reflect back on fondly for season 2020/2021. The supporters are the lifeblood of the game and personal memories of Saints Cup double season or Sevco's unbeaten season will be sparse. Few reflections to pass down the generations. 

I watched the Scottish Cup final yesterday and for the first time wasn't jealous that my club wasn't involved. *

The honours list will forever include your club's name as the winner's but even for Saints fans, I think this season will soon fade from memory. 

Nevertheless, well done to Saints. 

*EDIT, Actually I forgot about the 2020 final which I also wasn't bothered about. That didn't even feel like a Scottish Cup Final. Six months after and its been erased from my mind. The era of the empty cup finals... 

In reality, this season will be even more memorable because of how unusual it has been. Not many clubs can say they’ve won a double during a global pandemic. I’ll remember both cup final days vividly because they have been so unique. We’ll never experience anything like it again.

Not sure if it has been mentioned earlier but bookies odds at beginning of season.

Rangers to win premier league 6/4

St Johnstone to win cup double 10,000/1

Mmm. 
tbf not sure what Rangers odds to go unbeaten all season were but less than 10,000/1  I suspect.

26 minutes ago, St Innes said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned earlier but bookies odds at beginning of season.

Rangers to win premier league 6/4

St Johnstone to win cup double 10,000/1

Mmm. 
tbf not sure what Rangers odds to go unbeaten all season were but less than 10,000/1  I suspect.

10000/1 would be roughly equivalent to a 38 game accumulator at 1/4 on

You probably wouldn't get  that price

But it's as much a measure of how well rated the manager was back then as the difficulty of the task so its not a great metric

4 hours ago, Forever_blueco said:

Yes I’m sure saints will quickly forget their double winning season 😂

"Soon fade from memory” was the words I chose...

Aberdeen's double cup win in 1985/86 soon faded from my memory when Fergie left in November 1986. Aberdeen's double cup win in 1989/90 soon faded from my memory when we lost the league on the last day of the season a year later to a club that died in 2012.

What hasn't faded from memory is my team getting beat from Stenhousemuir, Queens Park or indeed getting pumped 5-0 at St Johnstone. And what never fades is losing the title on the last day of the season.

St Johnstone fans will rightly celebrate this squad of players with anniversaries of this season for years to come.

It would be interesting to find out how this Scottish Cup win measures up to their first success in 2014? Perhaps that's a question that can only be asked after a passage of time. 

The fact that it sealed a second cup triumph might indeed make the Hibs victory more sweeter than the one against Dundee United.

But nothing quite beats celebrating with friends or family at the stadium and giving the defeated fans a bit of stick.

Who is the chap in your avatar?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

6 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

"Soon fade from memory” was the words I chose...

Aberdeen's double cup win in 1985/86 soon faded from my memory when Fergie left in November 1986. Aberdeen's double cup win in 1989/90 soon faded from my memory when we lost the league on the last day of the season a year later to a club that died in 2012.

What hasn't faded from memory is my team getting beat from Stenhousemuir, Queens Park or indeed getting pumped 5-0 at St Johnstone. And what never fades is losing the title on the last day of the season.

What a depressing life you must have.

There's absolutely zero chance I'm forgetting anything about the cup runs simply because we'll inevitably lose a game we shouldn't/get relegated at some point in the next 40 years.

It's a really odd thing to do m8, and it's not as normal you seem to be thinking it is.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What a depressing life you must have.

There's absolutely zero chance I'm forgetting anything about the cup runs simply because we'll inevitably lose a game we shouldn't/get relegated at some point in the next 40 years.

It's a really odd thing to do m8, and it's not as normal you seem to be thinking it is.

It would have better just to say “Enjoy your night pal!” ala Kevin Bridges.

Aberdeen have been serial underachievers since Fergie left despite the amount of money they have spent. 

Remember “toastergate”? https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12184138.aberdeen-on-breadline-as-savings-include-club-toaster/

Aberdeen also bought second hand urinals from St Mirren when we left Love Street.

They also voted in favour of keeping the 10-2 top league voting structure when The Rangers were in the bottom tier. 

Shameful behaviour. 

10000/1 is an attention grabbing headline from The Record but it would have required the Saintees to have been an unlikely 100/1 for both cups. More likely they would have been 50/1 for each (2500/1) or even 33/1 (just over 1000/1).

Still, good money if you were on it.