SPFL Trust Trophy (aka Challenge Cup)

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Official attendance: 259

image.png.6f18da08d23122ce7b7f1a388bf2cf2e.png

Lowest ever attendance for a competitive, open door game at the Rock.

I'm fairly certain the majority of people there were relatives or pals of players, or local kids just along for something to do on a Wednesday night. Charlie Adam was sat a row down from me too. Laurie Ellis and Billy Stark were kicking around as well.

Wales have lost a Europa League slot next season.

As a result the winner of their 5-team end-of-season European Playoff Series in the Cymru Premier will now be a rewarded with a place in... the SPFL Trust Trophy.

I think that's called coming down to earth with a bump.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Lowest ever attendance for a competitive, open door game at the Rock.

I'm fairly certain the majority of people there were relatives or pals of players, or local kids just along for something to do on a Wednesday night. Charlie Adam was sat a row down from me too. Laurie Ellis and Billy Stark were kicking around as well.

Several clubs broke their lowest-ever competitive crowd figures in previous editions IIRC.

I'm genuinely surprised it was as high as 250+. Going by that photo stand looks nothing like 1/8 full.

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Wales have lost a Europa League slot next season.

As a result the winner of their 5-team end-of-season European Playoff Series in the Cymru Premier will now be a rewarded with a place in... the SPFL Trust Trophy.

I think that's called coming down to earth with a bump.

Several clubs broke their lowest-ever competitive crowd figures in previous editions IIRC.

I'm genuinely surprised it was as high as 250+. Going by that photo stand looks nothing like 1/8 full.

Have the SFPL ever said if they are intending on inviting the 'foreign" teams back again?

20 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Have the SFPL ever said if they are intending on inviting the 'foreign" teams back again?

When the format was announced they said they were not inviting other sides from the British Isles due to COVID concerns with wanting to limit unneccessary travel etc.

It did make it seem like if it hadn't been for COVID they would still have been involved.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Me too. I was around the directors' box doing the commentary, and I'd say that there were maybe 40 or so Rangers hangers-on there. Directors, or parents of players, sponsors or whatever else (and Charlie Adam). 

If they are included in the attendance then 100 or so in the home and away end (which hold roughly 900 each) is possibly about right. It felt eerily similar to last season.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Interestingly, this is the first ever time the Challenge Cup has exclusively contained clubs from Scotland.

I personally think the Challenge Cup should just be foreign teams and colt sides, and let teams with better things to do get on with said things. Let the foreigners and the OF fans enjoy their favourite competition on their own.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Kelty seem to have dropped about 7 players from Saturday so it was approaching St Mirren B v Kelty 2nd XI.

164 at Stenhousemuir v Dundee United B is certainly a ringing endorsement for these sides coming to town.

It shows when the clubs that the competition was meant do not bother about fielding strong teams, there was word that we gave our sub goalie  a run as an outfield player since we will not train this week 😊

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Interestingly, this is the first ever time the Challenge Cup has exclusively contained clubs from Scotland.

Apart from the first season, when it was The SFL Centenary Trophy, hasn't it always been the Challenge Cup albeit better known by who was sponsoring it eg B&Q, Bells, IRN-BRU etc?

33 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Apart from the first season, when it was The SFL Centenary Trophy, hasn't it always been the Challenge Cup albeit better known by who was sponsoring it eg B&Q, Bells, IRN-BRU etc?

I’m sure he’s meaning with Berwick being in the Lowland League and not taking part everyone actually plays in Scotland.