SPFL Trust Trophy (aka Challenge Cup)

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes. Its hardly an alien concept or a new rule for all the coincidental upset about it. Thats been the case as long as Colt teams have been in it. 

Fairly alien concept in that certain rules of a competition apply to some but not to others. Look at it this way. Ayr have done every other club a favour. I'll bet no-one else will make the same mistake anytime soon.

2 hours ago, RedEd said:

Fairly alien concept in that certain rules of a competition apply to some but not to others. Look at it this way. Ayr have done every other club a favour. I'll bet no-one else will make the same mistake anytime soon.

To be fair, the powers that be in the upper echelons of the SPFL want to do whatever they can to help the B teams advance in this competition to normalise their participation in the league in the future. 

2 hours ago, RedEd said:

And yet nobody raised a peep about it at any point in the last half a dozen years until Ayr suddenly do the same. Only then is there a queue of Ayr fans to say it's a stupid rule and that they always thought that. It's hard to take that seriously.

It might be a stupid rule, it might not. Can't say I'm particularly bothered about it. Loan rules have for more than half a decade now allowed recall to play for age level teams in whatever competitions they may play in. Perhaps it should exclude the Challenge Cup, clubs have had ample opportunity to complain about that if it bothered them. None have.

Clubs make stupid mistakes in admin regularly. Kilmarnock played a suspended player two months ago (3-0 win awarded to East Kilbride). Hearts played the unsigned Andrew Irving in a League Cup group match in 2018 and bizarrely the result stood but Hearts were deducted 2 pts and ended up getting through the group anyway. Albion Rovers were thrown out of the Challenge Cup for fielding an improperly registered player in 2017 (match awarded to Spartans 3-0). Livingston played a suspended player in the same competition at Crusaders in 2016 and were made to travel back to Ireland midweek to replay a game they'd won (they did win again on replaying it). Clyde played an ineligible player in two league games in 2019 (recalled from loan early) and were docked 4 points PLUS both games (from which they'd originally won 4 points) were awarded 3-0 to the opponents. That's just the last 5 years. Ayr aren't the first, they won't be the last.

It is a stupid mistake, I doubt anyone sensible could argue otherwise.

However teams playing against each other should be playing by the same rules.  

This isn’t a youth or reserve competition, therefore the rules should be the same as every other senior competition. no player out on loan can play for the parent team.  That should have been obvious, it’s the sham exception to certain teams that have caused this.

Premiership B teams are invited as guest teams, guest teams can be asked to behave by additional rules(age limits etc), they should never be aloud to follow less.

Edited by parsforlife

23 hours ago, peternapper said:

Hopefully Alloa can do everyone a favour and batter them.

Are you forgetting who Alloa's manager is?  Barry "Still a Blue-nose at heart" Ferguson will be as welcome back at Ibrox as Lennon and Sutton were if his side dumps the Colts. 

19 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

And not be stupid enough to play players that they've already sent out on loan.

No sweat here, BF won't want them back, not his flavour of the moment.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Are you forgetting who Alloa's manager is?  Barry "Still a Blue-nose at heart" Ferguson will be as welcome back at Ibrox as Lennon and Sutton were if his side dumps the Colts. 

If BF doesn't field s team to pump them, he won't be welcome back at Alloa. He's already on a shoogly peg😳

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 09:45, Skyline Drifter said:

And yet nobody raised a peep about it at any point in the last half a dozen years until Ayr suddenly do the same. Only then is there a queue of Ayr fans to say it's a stupid rule and that they always thought that. It's hard to take that seriously.

It might be a stupid rule, it might not. Can't say I'm particularly bothered about it. Loan rules have for more than half a decade now allowed recall to play for age level teams in whatever competitions they may play in. Perhaps it should exclude the Challenge Cup, clubs have had ample opportunity to complain about that if it bothered them. None have.

Clubs make stupid mistakes in admin regularly. Kilmarnock played a suspended player two months ago (3-0 win awarded to East Kilbride). Hearts played the unsigned Andrew Irving in a League Cup group match in 2018 and bizarrely the result stood but Hearts were deducted 2 pts and ended up getting through the group anyway. Albion Rovers were thrown out of the Challenge Cup for fielding an improperly registered player in 2017 (match awarded to Spartans 3-0). Livingston played a suspended player in the same competition at Crusaders in 2016 and were made to travel back to Ireland midweek to replay a game they'd won (they did win again on replaying it). Clyde played an ineligible player in two league games in 2019 (recalled from loan early) and were docked 4 points PLUS both games (from which they'd originally won 4 points) were awarded 3-0 to the opponents. That's  just the last 5 years. Ayr aren't the first, they won't be the last.

I suppose not every club is lucky to have someone like you .

I like to think Queens would not make a stupid mistake when you are there .

On to the Partick game very difficult AJ has already said he will make changes good chance for some players to push for a start every week 

On 03/10/2021 at 11:25, Greenacres said:

I suppose not every club is lucky to have someone like you .

I like to think Queens would not make a stupid mistake when you are there.

And yet we made a colossal one regarding the fate of a club that fielded dozens of improperly registered players over hundreds of matches.

That's another B team papped out tonight courtesy of Accies.

Though we did try to do an Ayr & had the cup-tied Popescu listed on our bench initially before our fans pointed out to the club via Twitter that he was ineligible having already played for Hearts B in the 1st round...

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

460211076_tenor(43).gif.abe5013c6bcb8468c4b860d52127b7c8.gif

Quite how a bunch of 18 and 19 year old Aberdeen players were going to win a tournament with the likes of the Kilmarnock, The Caley and Raith Rovers first teams in it was beyond me.

Pretty dire stuff in the first half from us today, it seemed like Queens goal woke us up and from that point on we were decent. I was very impressed with young McArthur - for a 16 year old centre half making his debut I thought he read the game terrifically. Good to see Brindlay and Warnock getting game time as well, it's been a long while since we've had some youth players coming through. 

I thought Queens looked very tidy on the ball and played out from the back excellently at times (and also gave the ball away at the back a few times). The goalie in particular looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet and made a few cracking saves as well. They were very susceptible to crosses though - they barely won a header in their own box all game. 

Didnt think we were great first half, but got the goal thanks to some good play from Hodson and a nice finish at second time of asking from Shaw. LH has to be in contention to start at right back vs Dunfermline. 

Second half we started poor and the equaliser seemed to wake us up, after that thought we were good. Rory looked lively, like the look of Hendry, and good to see Burke and then Armstrong taking folk on and hitting the byline. 

McGinn's set pieces were some of the best we have seen for years. It wouldnt be hard to be an upgrade on ones taken in recent years.